Mountain Lion Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Just read in our local paper that the same groups that stopped the lion hunting in Washington state are now here trying to stop the lion hunts.
Looks like we are going to have a fight on our hands. Hope we win.

Anybody from Washington with info on this hunting ban? Maybe you guys can help.

Probably the same bunch that got it stopped in CA years ago. They equated mountain lions to house cats and got the softheaded city folks vote.

it is Dun.
Now if all these sportsman groups don't stand against them, once they get the predator control banned then they will go after the regular hunting. Anybody who thinks they won't really needs to read these groups agendas.
No hunting, no raising of any animal.
Best thing is to not get in front of the public. there are some really smart folks out there, but on some things they lack common sense. They should have to pay for the loss predators cause producers. and I mean by taxes and not donations.

If they can put in front of the public the problems that CA has experienced since the hunting ban that may help.

dun":1r85xx3e said:
If they can put in front of the public the problems that CA has experienced since the hunting ban that may help.

Awww now Dun, so California experienced a few bicyclists being mauled and a few missing children and hikers so what's the big deal. Seems like a small sacrafice to have these animals running wild in the streets and neighborhoods.

Jogeephus":bofckdc1 said:
dun":bofckdc1 said:

Awww now Dun, so California experienced a few bicyclists being mauled and a few missing children and hikers so what's the big deal. Seems like a small sacrafice to have these animals running wild in the streets and neighborhoods.

Let's just turn them loose in Washington, then maybe we'll get some "cleaning" done.

In California I think they totally outlawed lion hunting. Here in Washington they just outlawed hound hunting for cats and bears. That in effect outlaws cat hunting because the only effective way to hunt cats is with dogs. It use to be extremely rare for a boot hunter to kill a lion, now there are a number of them killed by boot hunters every year. That alone is telling of what the population is doing. Judging on the amount of cat sign I see now compared to 30 years ago I think there are a lot more cats than they are estimating. We haven't had any people killed yet but there have been a number of close calls. Our Dept of Wildlife keeps trying to blame any encounters with lions as people moving out into their habitat. The reality is the deer population is way way down so cats are starting to move closer and closer to town. It is only a matter of time until some kid gets ate. A few years ago a cougar chased a deer through the WalMart parking lot in the middle of the day scattering grandmas and kids. You will note that area of the state is now having control hunts to decrease the lion population.

Those ding bats told the state FWP that they have study showing that when the lions are not hunted they become more wary of humans. Now that is the biggest manure pile I have heard recently. Whats even funnier right now, is they can't produce this study.

Not surprised Dave.

Wasn't it in California where the girl got mauled by the lion while riding her bike on a trail? Saw something on t.v about it. It sounded horrible. I'm thinking this is going to happen more often cause it seems like these big cats are intrigued by wheeled bikes and carts. I visited a zoo and watched some african lions slumbering in the sun. When a lady came by with a baby carriage all of the cats perked up. Seeing this intrigue I got to thinking. Found me one of those complimentary wheeled chairs and started pushing it in front of their cage. I had two lions chasing me back and forth like kittens chasing a ball of twine. Haven't run this much in years. I thought it was neat. Management didn't. :oops:

Jogeephus":3l1an2sn said:
Wasn't it in California where the girl got mauled by the lion while riding her bike on a trail? Saw something on t.v about it. It sounded horrible. I'm thinking this is going to happen more often cause it seems like these big cats are intrigued by wheeled bikes and carts. I visited a zoo and watched some african lions slumbering in the sun. When a lady came by with a baby carriage all of the cats perked up. Seeing this intrigue I got to thinking. Found me one of those complimentary wheeled chairs and started pushing it in front of their cage. I had two lions chasing me back and forth like kittens chasing a ball of twine. Haven't run this much in years. I thought it was neat. Management didn't. :oops:
They probably thought it was "meals on wheels"

In 20 years of falling timber, trapping, hunting and fishing where I was in the woods almost every day I have seen a total of 6 cougars. Only one of those that I could have shot if I had a gun (I had a fly rod). The rest were gone as quick as I saw them. In the last two years my 23 year old daughter who spends some times in the woods has seen two cats. One of her neighbors shot one on the ridge behind her place this year. It had two game dept tags in its ears. They said it had been caught twice and released over by Cle Elum. That is 120 miles as the crow flies and on the other side of the Cascade mountains from my daughter's place.

I luv herfrds":3757aivo said:
Jo did anybody get it on video? I would love to see it. :lol2: :D

Not that I know of, I was too busy watching the cats run till I was asked to stop.

Dave":3757aivo said:
That is 120 miles as the crow flies and on the other side of the Cascade mountains from my daughter's place.

I don't know how close they are to the florida panther but I'm told the florida panther has a range of 200 miles. That is why it was so silly for DNR to say we didn't have them hear.

Yep we don't have them either or that is what the state says so I guess the ones caught on a buddies game camera was a house kitty on Steroids

That is like our hog population we didn't have one for yrs according to the state,then all of a sudden we have an epidemic # of hogs and we need to exterminate them

I guess they just moved in one night all 20,000 of them

Angus Cowman":8xmtzuok said:
Yep we don't have them either or that is what the state says so I guess the ones caught on a buddies game camera was a house kitty on Steroids

Not a kitty on steroids but an otter. Least that's what our DNR was calling them. ;-) :lol2:

Latest posts