Mount Saint Helen

Help Support CattleToday:

It is fun for the tourists and the press to watch but Helen isn't going to do anything bigger than a throat clearing belch. It is kind of the classic deal of the press making a mountain out of a mole hill except this time they are making a mountain out of a mountain.
Since may 18, 1980 there have been a number of these steam and ash burps as big or bigger than this one. For some reason the press is interested in what is going on up there now and making a big deal out of it.

Dave

Sorry to have upset you Dave. I hope you are right because a lot of people stand to loose is she does go.

That's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I didn't say to sit and watch it all day but some of us have never seen a volcano "errupt" before. And YES it does look quite boring. But luckly for the people that live there it's not a flowing fireball.

I agree with Dave. "It could be a large eruption or a small burp".. "It could erupt within the next 24 hours or later".. "We might see a huge ash plume or just a little steam." I'm wondering what the other options are? It's their time in the lime light and helps with next years grant. So long as the people living close, don't let the press desensitize them for when something does really happen!

Has Spirit Lake turned back into a real lake or is it still the quagmire of nastiness that it was a while back.

dun

Dun,
Define "a real lake". It sure isn't what it used to be but it looks better than it did on May 19, 1980. It is amazing how much that entire blast zone has healed. I worked up in that area in the early 80's in the salvage logging. It was like working on the moon or something. All grey, without a speck of green anywhere. Now except for up on the moutain itself everything is green and growing.
There is not much danger up there except for tourist who try to get too close. There isn't the glaciers to melt that there was in 1980. I don't know if people realize how far it is from the mountain to any farms or houses let alone towns but it is a long ways. Even a 1980 size eruption didn't reach half way to the nearest little town. Almost all the people who were killed in 1980 were tourist who snuck in behind the gates for a closer look. As for the ash.... I had 4 inches on my place from the second 1980 event. It was a pain to deal with but nothing that could be dealt with. Certainly nothing near what Florida has been dealing with. As I said this time is the media making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Dave

Dave":3fcltwun said:
Dun,
Define "a real lake". It sure isn't what it used to be but it looks better than it did on May 19, 1980. It is amazing how much that entire blast zone has healed. I worked up in that area in the early 80's in the salvage logging. It was like working on the moon or something. All grey, without a speck of green anywhere. Now except for up on the moutain itself everything is green and growing.
There is not much danger up there except for tourist who try to get too close. There isn't the glaciers to melt that there was in 1980. I don't know if people realize how far it is from the mountain to any farms or houses let alone towns but it is a long ways. Even a 1980 size eruption didn't reach half way to the nearest little town. Almost all the people who were killed in 1980 were tourist who snuck in behind the gates for a closer look. As for the ash.... I had 4 inches on my place from the second 1980 event. It was a pain to deal with but nothing that could be dealt with. Certainly nothing near what Florida has been dealing with. As I said this time is the media making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Dave

I've been wracking my brain trying to remember when I last saw it. Must have been maybe 15 years ago. It was still a pretty mucky looking mess when I last saw it. The water was clear but the muck underneath looked pretty bad, and totally liveless, although I'm sure there were some sorts of micro stuff living in it. Seems like there were elk or deer tracks around it.
There has been 3 things in my life that when I heard it I didn't believe it. JFK assasination, Mt St. Helens and the planes into the towers. Hope there isn't a number 4.

dun

The ash was just like having four inches of dust on the place. A person sort of looked like Pigpen in the Peanuts cartoon, every where you went there was a cloud of dust around your feet. It was pretty abrasive so we avoided running equipment that we didn't need to. But once the fall rains started it settled in and by the next spring the grass grew up and you had to look to find sign of it.
Dave

D.R.
Back when you were busy with the hurricanes there was a thread on the board that people were talking about hurricanes, blizzards, twisters and other problems they suffered through. I posted saying how great it was to live here where I didn't have to deal with any of those. I said that there was just this mountain.... and what were the odds of it blowing up twice in one life time? Maybe I spoke too soon. But really the ash wasn't that much of a problem. There aren't the glaciers up there now to melt like last time and they are what caused the mud flow during the 1980 eruption. So it is probably just ash to deal with and it isn't all that bad. Actually the normal winter weather around here of 36 degrees and raining every day is much worse to me than a little sprinkling of ash. But I guess every place has its trade off.
Dave

These hurricanes have been a tremendous payback. I've been sitting on the beach with my toes in the sand for the last 30 odd years while most others were bundled up looking for firewood and shoveling out. I'd still rather have it that way, unless these summer storms become more popular in the years to come.

Latest posts