Mother with diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a Cow that has had twins, she rejected one of the calfs, so I have bottle feed it, but since she has had the calves she has had diarrhea. What would be causing this. I have her and the calves in a separate pen from the other cattle. Any info would be appreciated. Thank You

[email protected]

Is she getting a hotter ration then normal, i.e. grain, alfalfa, etc.? Is she nervous from being seperated from the rest of the herd? Is she milking adequate for her calf?

dun

> I have a Cow that has had twins,
> she rejected one of the calfs, so
> I have bottle feed it, but since
> she has had the calves she has had
> diarrhea. What would be causing
> this. I have her and the calves in
> a separate pen from the other
> cattle. Any info would be
> appreciated. Thank You

Did she clean fully? If not, she may have a metritis causing diarrhea. Has her appetite diminished? Is she grinding her teeth? Any sign of mastitis? Is it affecting the nursing calf? What feed is she on?

Without answers and a full physical exam, it's a guessing game as to the problem. Of course, I recommend you call your vet.

Good Luck V

> what would it be if she was
> grinding her teeth and had
> diarrhea

Likely salmonella

Grinding teeth often indicate abomasal ulcers or intestinal pain...not a good sign.

> Is she getting a hotter ration
> then normal, i.e. grain, alfalfa,
> etc.? Is she nervous from being
> seperated from the rest of the
> herd? Is she milking adequate for
> her calf?

> dun

Hello, Thank you for your response. She hasn't had any changes in her feed, she gets a little corn and 16% range cubes. We have returned her to the rest of the herd, that never really seem to bother her and her calf is very healthy, this is her second set of twins. She had diarrhea before she had her calfs, so I am not sure if it had anything to do with the birth of her calfs are not. But she has not lost any weight and does not act as though she is sick at all. She just has loose stools are its kind of thin instead of solid when she goes to the bathroom. I know its hard to tell just by talking with someone, I thought that someone else might have already had the same experience and had an idea. We do not have a large animal vet where I live so we kinda of depend on each other to figure out what the problems are, Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank You Sharon

[email protected]

Beyond me. I don't tend to worry much about stool consistancy in older animals. I go more by behaviour and my eye to tell if something is starting to go wrong. Sorry

dun

> Hello, Thank you for your
> response. She hasn't had any
> changes in her feed, she gets a
> little corn and 16% range cubes.
> We have returned her to the rest
> of the herd, that never really
> seem to bother her and her calf is
> very healthy, this is her second
> set of twins. She had diarrhea
> before she had her calfs, so I am
> not sure if it had anything to do
> with the birth of her calfs are
> not. But she has not lost any
> weight and does not act as though
> she is sick at all. She just has
> loose stools are its kind of thin
> instead of solid when she goes to
> the bathroom. I know its hard to
> tell just by talking with someone,
> I thought that someone else might
> have already had the same
> experience and had an idea. We do
> not have a large animal vet where
> I live so we kinda of depend on
> each other to figure out what the
> problems are, Let me know if you
> have any ideas. Thank You Sharon

Interesting, the reason i asked- we had a heifer about 6 years ago that was an extremely hard pull, saved the calf by some miracle and the heifer raised him to a decent size but she developed diarrhea immediately after calving (i assumed maybe some tearing) and grinded her teeth constantly.

Latest posts