mother want feed calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ditsymom

Reaction score
I have baby calf about one week old. The mother want feed her. We have been trying to bottle feed her with milk repkacement but not having much luck. One day she'll eat the next day she want. :( Any suggestions on what to do for her?

What is the breed? How is the dam acting? Are her teats swollen? Do you have a way to capture the dam? What is the temperament of the dam? How is the calf acting? Natural birth or assisted? What was the approximate birth weight? This may help us.

Well don't know about the breed, It's just a calf. We raise them to eat not to sell. the calf has been eating but now it has stopped it hasn't taken it's last two feeding. She is acting fine. I am sure it was a natural birth since we were on vacation and came home and found her. I have her in a pen right now. We have never had a mother to reject her baby before.

try putting the cow in the chute so the calf can suck. if the cow is kicking at the calfhold her tail up in the air over her back.she cant an wont kick with her tail up.then see if you cant get the calf on her teat.also feel the cows teats.see if anyslobber is on them.an milk her out a little.scott

ditsymom":14ki6p4t said:
Well don't know about the breed, It's just a calf. We raise them to eat not to sell. the calf has been eating but now it has stopped it hasn't taken it's last two feeding. She is acting fine. I am sure it was a natural birth since we were on vacation and came home and found her. I have her in a pen right now. We have never had a mother to reject her baby before.

So you don't know what breed the dam (mom) is? DO you have the mom? How do you know it has not been feeding? Calves are not on a time schedule unless you are separating them. I am confused. Bigbull is right if you have the mom there. Chute her, either have the calf suck, or you can milk her out and bottle feed her. Still not sure how you know she missed two feedings. Tyring to help but..........

i am a little confused too.. but then again that doesnt take much.. :lol:

if this calf is a week old, i would almost bet the farm it has nursed.. and still might be... you said it wont eat some days... might because it is not hungry. but you say the cow wont take it... are you sure its the right momma?? pen em up and watch em.. if it still cant nurse and that is the right momma....

then i would do as the others have said.. chute it and try to get the calf to nursing that way.. BUT... be careful... a cow can kick the living daylights out of you and break your arm..

and unless things got better... those 2 would grow wheels immediately...

good luck.

jt

You guys have misunderstood. She has never feed the baby I have been feeding it by bottle for a week now. Last night it wouldn't take the bottle and then again today it still hasn't had anything to eat. The mom has had nothing to do with this calf at all. ever. Worried about it not taking the bottle now.

ditsymom":3v8uz03r said:
You guys have misunderstood. She has never feed the baby I have been feeding it by bottle for a week now. Last night it wouldn't take the bottle and then again today it still hasn't had anything to eat. The mom has had nothing to do with this calf at all. ever. Worried about it not taking the bottle now.

You said you came home from vacation and the calf was there, now you also say that the cow has never wanted the calf at all.

If this is the case then it probably hasn't gotten any colustrum.
In lue of that, milkmaid is the only one that can save it.

Sell it before it dies.

ditsymom":2trdf1on said:

the reason i figure the calf has at least nursed once is... i have never seen a calf live that long when it didnt get colostrum. i guess you could have given it some, but you didnt say that you did... you just came home and there the calf was... and started feeding it...

i am not saying you are not telling us right, it just seems unusual.. thats all..

now the calf has not eaten now for a couple of days.. he may have gotten a little colustrum to keep him alive, but not enough to thrive and do well... you may have to tube the calf to feed it until it either gets better or not.. calves that dont get enough colostrum... many times dont live very long.

good luck and hope it works out..

jt

I'm as lost as everone else. You got home and found the calf. Are you sure this is the correct momma? If so do as other have suggested and put her in a chute, If it ain't nursed her for a week this probally won't do any good. It may have been getting milk that you didn't know about. Probally you will wind up tubing this calf. Better get your supplies ready. Good luck. Was the supposed momma a heifer?

go with what bama says at the bottom of his posts...i like that saying bama and it is so true... have used it a few times lately..

cull her..

jmo

jt

I have saw so many people keep cattle because they are cute, pretty, first born, like a kid, one of the family, or some other lame reason. If folks would treat them like a business they would make a lot more money and save a lot of problems.

Confused and somewhat astonished........ you have cattle, but don't know what breed? and are not 100% sure of the momma?

my opinion, and not to be mean at all about it..........veal the calf.. sell all the cattle you have until you can figure it out. :cboy:

Medic24":3pyjfaio said:
Confused and somewhat astonished........ you have cattle, but don't know what breed? and are not 100% sure of the momma?

my opinion, and not to be mean at all about it..........veal the calf.. sell all the cattle you have until you can figure it out. :cboy:

AND went on vacation during calving :roll:

Sorry folks, I give up. My first and last comment and probably only hope other than and possibly included is, chute the mom, milk or put the calf to her, squirt some of mom's milk in its mouth and see if it takes it. If this doesn't work, milk the mom try the bottle. If the calf doesn't take it, tube it. Good luck.

Oh Lordy,, this one string is confusing as all heck... Flaboy, when you say to chute the mom, I assume you were talking about the cow , not ditzymom right? And you also did MEAN chute not shoot, right?
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :cboy:

Medic24":27ywo33n said:
Oh Lordy,, this one string is confusing as all heck... Flaboy, when you say to chute the mom, I assume you were talking about the cow , not ditzymom right? And you also did MEAN chute not shoot, right?
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :cboy:

Yep, good thing you had to read it instead of hear it huh? Now I know I will get slammed for saying this but far be it from me to be PC. I think ditzymom has picked the correct handle for herself. :lol:

Well we do have to start somewhere, and if you are reading this ditzymom, hang in there. we will razz ya, we will even occassionaly jump on you, we all get the same at times, it's not personal....BUT, I think the way to go about raising cattle especially calves, is to kinda know what your getting into, and what know your doing to some extent before you make that giant leap into ownership. A whole lot easier on you, and safer for the cattle.

One thing I keep reminding myself , we don't actually own anything in life, not our cattle not even our own money, it ALL belongs to God, and we are mearly the temp. stewards for it, and it's our job to do the very best we can for him, and them.....and that certainly means taking care of his creatures, even if we do eat them as he intended! :cboy: