Mother killer

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been watching this post...here's what I think.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a tom cat. If the kittens were old enough to be weaned, then the tom wouldn't care about the kittens. The female cat can be bred within two weeks of her 'calving' (whatever its called). So you are more than likly right...It was the momma cat.

Just my 2 cents!!! 8)

~Britani~

IluvABbeef":1jpy283m said:
The worst and most sickening thing that could ever happen in the animal kingdom is when a mother uses the wrong method to wean her young. And that's killing them.

A cat on our farm had three kittens, all very cute and playful creatures. When we first "met" her, she had previously two kittens following her around. One of them disappeared and we didn't know what happened to it until yesterday, with her second litter here.

Poor Dad, he was the one who found out why. He found one of the kittens ("Simba", a really playful one, my favorite) dead. The little body wasn't stiff yet, and there were marks on the neck, marks of a cat's teeth....

You put a mother down for eating her kittens? That is way too insane!! Sometimes they for unknown reasons do eat their newborn kittens, sometimes the kittens have birth defects, the mother seems to know. This seems really extreme to me, better options available for sure.

GMN

the mother's. :shock: :cry: :cry:

He mentioned it and said the little black and white one I found last year was also killed by this same cat, and she most likely ate it. I had to choose whether to keep the mom alive only to see another kitten bite the dust, or put momma down.

We put momma cat down with a .22 rifle, leaving 2 orphans, Button and Blackie, to take care of.

IluvABbeef":3ty5vomb said:
The worst and most sickening thing that could ever happen in the animal kingdom is when a mother uses the wrong method to wean her young. And that's killing them.

A cat on our farm had three kittens, all very cute and playful creatures. When we first "met" her, she had previously two kittens following her around. One of them disappeared and we didn't know what happened to it until yesterday, with her second litter here.

Poor Dad, he was the one who found out why. He found one of the kittens ("Simba", a really playful one, my favorite) dead. The little body wasn't stiff yet, and there were marks on the neck, marks of a cat's teeth....

the mother's. :shock: :cry: :cry:

He mentioned it and said the little black and white one I found last year was also killed by this same cat, and she most likely ate it. I had to choose whether to keep the mom alive only to see another kitten bite the dust, or put momma down.

We put momma cat down with a .22 rifle, leaving 2 orphans, Button and Blackie, to take care of.

Seems extreme to me, to shoot a cat with a 22. I think there were other options available. Sometimes cats will eat their young, sometimes adult female dogs do it also, they have a sense if something is wrong with their young, a defect, etc,, I've seen it happen in both cats and dogs.

GMN