most profitable?

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree, all our operations are different. And experience is all I can go on. I also don't think you will hear any successful cattle producer say the reason they are seccseful is because they sell all there calves under 450lbs and because they don't own then as long.

3 to 1 conversion? on a 8 weight?[/quote]

He said they were 350lbs to 600lbs so I figured them at a 500lb average on 22 head 11000lbs, feed them all 8lbs a day for 90 days, on average of what they all gain at the end of the 90 days there should be about 5000lbs of gain over the whole 22 calves. I also assumed they are on pasture or hay, not just the 8lbs of feed.

denvermartinfarms":lny8j2tr said:
3 to 1 conversion? on a 8 weight?

He said they were 350lbs to 600lbs so I figured them at a 500lb average on 22 head 11000lbs, feed them all 8lbs a day for 90 days, on average of what they all gain at the end of the 90 days there should be about 5000lbs of gain over the whole 22 calves. I also assumed they are on pasture or hay, not just the 8lbs of feed.

Better be extremely good pasture (oats, rye, wheat) to get a 3:1 conversion otherwise it's not reachable.

You boys wouldn't believe my gains then, I run calves on fescue pasture and feed 5 to 8lbs a day. My gains vary because the calves I buy do, but the lowest ADG I have ever had was around 2lbs and the best around 3lbs.

I figured his at 2 1/2 and no, I don't know if they will do that for sure, but if they were mine I would be pretty confident.

denvermartinfarms":1ivnlyq9 said:
You boys wouldn't believe my gains then, I run calves on fescue pasture and feed 5 to 8lbs a day. My gains vary because the calves I buy do, but the lowest ADG I have ever had was around 2lbs and the best around 3lbs.

I figured his at 2 1/2 and no, I don't know if they will do that for sure, but if they were mine I would be pretty confident.

As I said "must be good pasture" cause a grain mix won't do it. Feedlots shoot for 6:1 on a TMR that might be as much as 90% grain.

TexasBred":3rnoysck said:
denvermartinfarms":3rnoysck said:
he agreed but then explained to me for 20 minutes how if he took her home he would be bringing every disease and bacteria known to cattle back to his farm, and it would never be the same. Like bez said it seems alot of folks make salebarns out to be some scary place and I really don't see how one gets the conclusion.

They are exposed but that doesn't guarantee they are going to get sick or die or contaminate the herd. There are always a few sick animals and they're easy to pick out. Some people thrive on buying those, hauling them home, and trying to work miracles with them. Some are pretty good at it too. If it weren't for sale barns a huge % of cattle would never find a market .

True as I have made a lot of nickels over the years off salebarn cattle.

denvermartinfarms":2e39s7q2 said:

I never questioned your ADG, but your 3 to 1 conversion is highly suspect.

Latest posts