Most profit?...raising bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
My dad and I ran across about 40 registered angus cows being sold due to drought and we bought them for not much more than the going price for commercial cattle. The cattle were not culls and their sons were fed full feed until sold for breeding.

My question is: Is there more profit selling calves at weaning for $500-600 or to put them on feed and sell them at $1500-1800 at breeding age? I have checked and our local bull test costs $500+- to send them there.

Depends what the demand is in your area. You will have to do some math and figure out if you still make money after feeding them that much longer to sell as bulls.

as said it depends on the demand for angus bulls in your area.not all bull calves will make a herd bull,an you might end up with 5 top bulls or none to keep.you do not want to keep any junk bulls.raising bulls can be real costly.i have 2 bulls i need to pen.an i know they will eat almost a sack of feed a day.so my feed cost will be high.i sell reg calves of the cows for $800 to $1000.

Until you build up a reputation its hard to find the market for bulls.
It takes years,knowledge,experience,costs lots of money and its all a gamble to build that reputation.

See if you can find a partner that already has the reputation to cross your animals with- he gets a bigger market share(and makes some money off your operation) and you get a mentor/market.

Hello ---my 2 cents................

1. This country is flooded with angus bulls
2. Registered Bulls will end up on commercial cow/calf operations 60% of the time and 10 % will be purebred quality, 5% will be culled due to unsoundness in structure or countless other things and the rest (25%) will be sold as steers.
3. If it was me----- I would purchase a good PB Simmental bull and put on those 40 angus-- since simangus are bringing top prices these days.
4 How to buy a good simmental bull - disposition, confirmation, frame score breeding soundness exam etc and by the numbers:
From ASA the average Simmental bull should have the following>>
CE BW WW YW MCE MK MWW STAY CWT YG MARB BF WBS API TI SIMM BRD
6.5 1.3 32.4 57.6 2.5 4.4 20.6 18.3 -2 0.00 0.13 0.01 -0.08 101 61 AVERAGE

Last year simangus calves that calved in October and were weaned in April were backgrounded for 45 days and sold in a video sale for $1.01/lb -

this is what I would do..........

bubchub":1q3m6v20 said:
My dad and I ran across about 40 registered angus cows being sold due to drought and we bought them for not much more than the going price for commercial cattle. The cattle were not culls and their sons were fed full feed until sold for breeding.

My question is: Is there more profit selling calves at weaning for $500-600 or to put them on feed and sell them at $1500-1800 at breeding age? I have checked and our local bull test costs $500+- to send them there.

Latest posts