most productive small frame commerical cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
I have a real mixed heard that i started with. I have an angus bull on them. I have found I am getting better yield with smaller frame cattle. they eat less and seem to raise the same calfs for the sale barn. what is the most productive small frame cattle for the southeast. most everything in my area has some brahama in them which is good for the heat here. i dont care if the cows have brahama as I plan to get a brangus bull for my next herd bull. comments?

That's one of those, there is no right/wrong answer for. The best small framed cattle in your area are those that produce acceptable calves with your managment within your environmental restrictions. It isn;t so much a particular breed or cross but the individual animals.

I agree with Dun, and to add to his comments, I'd think that you should want some Brahman in your cowherd, not in the bull, just because of your location. Wouldn't the eared cows do better in your climate?

eared is very important to keep them up. i have decided to go with small frame cattle and plan to stay away from large framed cows. i have an assortment of small framed cattle now and all breds. my best luck so far had been baldies.

May I steal this thread for a moment and ask what the importance of the size of the ear is? I've seen it referenced several times in different threads and I figure it's smoething else I should learn. Sorry.

Brahman cattle have large ears. Usually people are talking about how much Brahman are in a particular animal. Many different breeds of cattle have Brahman influence.

brahman-web-3.jpg

Walt

spoon":2n4n0r1g said:
May I steal this thread for a moment and ask what the importance of the size of the ear is? I've seen it referenced several times in different threads and I figure it's smoething else I should learn. Sorry.
spoon-

Hey - don't apologize for seeking information. That is what this Forum is all about - helping ANYONE to gain knowledge for their benefit.

The importance of the ear size is just a part of the characteristics of the Brahman cattle. The size and the shape and length of the ear all have specific purposes, and is Genetically dictated and Homozygous. Their large, pendulous ears and excess skin around the throat and underbelly, (sheath) increases skin surface area available for cooling, which is great for hot and humid climates. Also, throughout their skin they have well spread sweat glands, and they secrete an oily substance thought to serve as an insect deterrent. Getting back to the ears, they droop in order to keep heavy rain from entering the ear canal, and for draining water from their head area. Their ears also have an abundance of blood vessels, similar to the ears of elephants, which aid in keeping them cool. In addition to these benefits, the animals can shake their heads vigorously and the large ears swat away flys, mosquitos and knats. Under their loose skin, the Brahman s have heavy musculature giving them the ability to shake off insects. It is thought that the Brahman breed has eradicated Cancer Eye within the breed.

These traits are clearly inherited by Brahman F1 crosses, and as such the F1 hybrids produce a high level of heterosis as they are products of totally unrelated strains. The low birth rate of the Brahman crossed with the quick growth traits of British breeds makes for an optimum progeny that is very marketable, particularly in the Deep South and hotter climates of this country, including Texas. As with any other crossbreeding programs, the more desirable quality one uses in their matings, the more optimal the results should be.

DOC HARRIS

spoon":31wipykf said:

Importance of the size of the ear in this part of the country is reduced price/lb. I don't believe that there is a good reason for this, other than ignorance. Buyers here are looking for British and Continental and seem to know very little about brahman influenced cattle. When in Rome......

spoon":2w06e4a1 said:
ear size is mostly just a indicator of the brahman percentage in the cow. and has a impact on the price depending where the animal winds up

Tuli give an excellent F1 female for crossing to both European Bos Taurus or Bos Indicus cattle, they are heat tolerant, highly resistant to parasites and fertile in harsh environments;
http://www.tuli.co.za/
There are pictures in the photo album, and links to the North American Tuli Breeders association.

jvicars":1ltzsdx9 said:
I have a real mixed heard that i started with. I have an angus bull on them. I have found I am getting better yield with smaller frame cattle. they eat less and seem to raise the same calfs for the sale barn. what is the most productive small frame cattle for the southeast. most everything in my area has some brahama in them which is good for the heat here. i dont care if the cows have brahama as I plan to get a brangus bull for my next herd bull. comments?

I would look at Senepol in your area for heat resistance and no ear. Have used them in KY and they work well.

I believe Gelbvieh is the only major breed to have kept a moderate cow size, or at least not had the average cow size keep going up.

As a separate question, how many generations will the Brangus cross keep the ear when crossed with another breed without ear? For example will an F1 brangus crossed with a Gelbvieh still have a lot of ear, a little, or..........?

smuff76":3ku9uhcy said:
I believe Gelbvieh is the only major breed to have kept a moderate cow size, or at least not had the average cow size keep going up.

As a separate question, how many generations will the Brangus cross keep the ear when crossed with another breed without ear? For example will an F1 brangus crossed with a Gelbvieh still have a lot of ear, a little, or..........?
depends.. a little brahman influence goes a long way.. but it won't or should'nt show over 1/4 blood ear. ive seen cow's that have the brahman bred out of them over the years and the navel be 10 inch's long the rest look like strait bos taurus

Pick the right bulls and you can also breed that navel off them. Many pure bred brangus have very little navel.

TexasBred":wqw4qlxw said:
Pick the right bulls and you can also breed that navel off them. Many pure bred brangus have very little navel.
some of your better breeders have cleaned that area up real well. the length of ear dont bother me on my moma cow's. but i want a clean underline

ALACOWMAN":1oeftxzx said:
some of your better breeders have cleaned that area up real well. the length of ear dont bother me on my moma cow's. but i want a clean underline

Has this this been primarily accomplished by upping the % of angus blood in the breed?

Cowdirt":3rptbzhj said:
ALACOWMAN":3rptbzhj said:

Has this this been primarily accomplished by upping the % of angus blood in the breed?
most of its due to consientious breeders selecting againts it... but who know's ive thought the same thing. and would be a quicker route to it ;-)

dyates":27cscnvx said:
Importance of the size of the ear in this part of the country is reduced price/lb. I don't believe that there is a good reason for this, other than ignorance. Buyers here are looking for British and Continental and seem to know very little about brahman influenced cattle. When in Rome......

Steers/bulls have a reduced rate here as well but heifers with ear are selling for much more. Even 1/4 ear.

I don't mind a 10% cut when the steers weigh 25 to 30 percent more. :lol: