Most Optimum Operation

Help Support CattleToday:

harris25

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this at so I'll post it in the Coffee Shop Board. What does everyone think the best cattle operation to run would be? I'm not talking the least amount of work but the highest return for the inputs or maybe not just running a cattle operation a combination of both livestock and farming. Just wanting to see what everyone thinks is the best to run or what would be your dream operation when it comes to farming and ranching.

Optimal operation will depend on your costs and your skills.
Need to separate per head and per dollar metrics.
A hint - - profit is usually in what other people are unable or unwilling to do. ;-)

harris25":kfv4542l said:
Just wanting to see what everyone thinks is the best to run or what would be your dream operation when it comes to farming and ranching.

My dream operation?

Each cow has a calf in spring, summer, and fall.
Always plenty of grass to eat.
Selling price is always 1.25 per pound at the market.
Fences never need mending.
Never a sick one, never a lost calf.

But reality is much different.

Right now my dream is just to not loose any money on my dreams.......

I think its hard to pick one type of operation as optimum, because there are so many aspects that play a role in the situation. My dream operation would be a diverse, low input one...with tons of land, well behaved animals that always breed back in a timely manner and always get bred the first time :cboy:

"Free feed" would be optimal. I think a herd within a diversified operataion which utilizes crop residue, road ditch hay, rough grazing... is hard to beat.

Why is it? Just West of here [ND] it's common, every road ditch has bales sitting in them? In MN the DOT chops the ditches so fast you don't get a chance to hay them. :? Even if our road ditches were smooth enough. :frowns:

Take a ride out across ND on I 94 some Sept. Enough bales in the ditches to feed a many a thousand cows. :cowboy:

mnmtranching":1eqbrq1l said:
Why is it? Just West of here [ND] it's common, every road ditch has bales sitting in them? In MN the DOT chops the ditches so fast you don't get a chance to hay them. :? Even if our road ditches were smooth enough. :frowns:

Take a ride out across ND on I 94 some Sept. Enough bales in the ditches to feed a many a thousand cows. :cowboy:

I was up in SD last fall for a pheasant hunt and I could not believe all the hay! Just outrageous compared to what is around my neck of the woods in Missouri. Probably saw more hay in 5 days than I see in a year here! lol.

Optimum is finding a niche in some sort of a market or system. Success for me is breaking even on equipment and getting it paid off so I can buy more. In my eyes that's profit to me as I'm not a full time rancher like many of you.

mnmtranching":3k2dovz7 said:

those ditches........got alota thrash in em ...beer can's .bottles . all kinds of papers metals part that fly off and out of vehicles

alacattleman":1romwfcr said:
mnmtranching":1romwfcr said:

those ditches........got alota thrash in em ...beer can's .bottles . all kinds of papers metals part that fly off and out of vehicles
That was always my thoughts on that too, a lot of hay in those median strips and ditches but, more trash than you would want to bring in on your farm, I have enough trouble keeping things cleaned up as it is . I reckon they could get the chain gang out there to clean it up before it was baled .

Larry

larryshoat":3ebt25y3 said:
alacattleman":3ebt25y3 said:
mnmtranching":3ebt25y3 said:

That was always my thoughts on that too, a lot of hay in those median strips and ditches but, more trash than you would want to bring in on your farm, I have enough trouble keeping things cleaned up as it is . I reckon they could get the chain gang out there to clean it up before it was baled .

Larry

It's not a problem anmore but there used to be a real issue with lead contamination of the roadside grasses from the lead in gasoline.

Latest posts