Most odd combo you have seen that works?

Help Support CattleToday:

While I have never had either one of these breeds it seems like a Dairy that Ai'd it's cows to a Square Meater Bull or a MG or something short and stout would work very well. The best of both worlds meaty, good frame, and a milk machine.

heath said:
I bought this cow so I really don't know what she is, but I figure her to be a long horn and some sort of Brimmer cross. she was bred when I bought her so I don't know what the calf is out of, but we'll see what she throws this year out of a beefmaster. the calf is four and a half or 5 months old.
2013-11-30165106.jpg

You could be right about the Longhorn x Brahman cross, but I wanted to let you know that I had a cow years ago that looked a lot like that one. She was out of a Holstein cow and a red Brahman bull. That's another possibility.

A strange cross once beat me in a fat steer show at the montana winter fair years ago. Scotch highlander-- hereford cross, a fancy showy very hair'y steer. I think I knew when he came out that was going to happen. Don't really know how they did as cows but would think that they would have earned their own living and that in itself is a good acomplishment.

Beef Man":2glm2n83 said:
A strange cross once beat me in a fat steer show at the montana winter fair years ago. Scotch highlander-- hereford cross, a fancy showy very hair'y steer. I think I knew when he came out that was going to happen. Don't really know how they did as cows but would think that they would have earned their own living and that in itself is a good acomplishment.
There is a small ranch few miles away from me that have few Highland x Hereford cross cows running with a black bull. The Angus sired calves out of the xbred cows looks like regular angus or black baldies as you have no clue that they have highland in them. The xbred cows were not that big, probably 900-1,100lbs but they sure weaned off BIG calves that is about same size as their mommas. And that was done in the pasture that is ill-suited for your average beef herd. Heavily forested, full of pine trees, lot of goldenrods, woody bushes and some hawthorns...not lot of grazing areas but then again this pasture used to be pine tree farm. The black bull they have right now looks like crap, but I bet he was glad to see the hay when the snow hits the ground.

Beef Man":2yxszfg6 said:

I've seen some really nice Herf x Highlands...
Highlands have a nice long body and usually have a good structure, if crossed with something meaty, they look awesome.
They are a breed that I've heard takes well to hybrid vigor.

I think we should bring back this old thread. This guy lives about 30 miles from me and I have 12 of his charolais Galloway cows. I've been impressed with how well they do in poor quality bushy pastures. They've weaned the highest percentage of their body weights in my herd since I got them a few years ago. https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/features/heifers-are-his-focus-now/

Interesting read. Had a couple Galloway cows and you could definitely see them going off grazing plants my other cows wouldn't. I'd buy that cross. Any pics of yours?

About 25 years ago, I met a man that bred Chianina x Holsteins, to raise draft pulling competition oxen from. from. He had at that time, 6 Holstein cows that he AI'ed to his Chianina bull, and 6 Chianina cows he bred to a Holstein bull. He would sell the heifers at weaning, and wasn;t getting much for them at the sale barn. I struck a deal to get them every year, and these cows made a LOT of money for me. I'd breed then 1st time to an Angus, and Brangus the rest of the time. These cows looked like giant Holsteins, and always had black polled calves. The cows were heat and insect resistant just like Chianionas, and would gra

Kinda a hard question for me to answer. To me if a cross works it's not really odd. The only thing I can think of is I have had some pure longhorn cows that I bred to a brangus bull, and somehow it was like the calves were all brangus, no horns, no color and shaped just like any brangus you have ever seen.
Except the females would have made excellent cows and weaned bigger calves. Higher butterfat

About 25 years ago, I met a man that bred Chianina x Holsteins, to raise competition draft oxen from. from. He had at that time, 6 Holstein cows that he AI'ed to his Chianina bull, and 6 Chianina cows he bred to a Holstein bull. He would sell the heifers at weaning, and wasn't getting much for them at the sale barn. I struck a deal to get them every year, and these cows made a LOT of money for me. I'd breed then 1st time to an Angus, and Brangus the rest of the time. These cows looked like giant, meaty Holsteins, and always had black polled calves. The cows were heat and insect resistant just like Chianinas, and would graze at high noon in July, while the other cows , especially the black ones, stayed in the pond all day. I would sell these calves at 4-5 months old, and they'd be as big as 7-8 month old Angus. I never kept a heifer,. but had buyers that did, and they'd breed these back to mostly black bulls, with similar results: Polled black calves that grew like wildfire. Zero calving problems, more than enough milk for these giant calves, but never any udder or mastitis problems. These cows were very docile,. even with new-borns, and were excellent mommas.

This man, about the time I met him, had decided he was going to breed bucking bulls, and decided to develope his own breed of them...3 way crosses of longhorn, brahman and chianina. After a few years, as he started getting enough of the 3-way crosses to use in his program., he started selling off his 2=way cross cows. I ended up getting all of his F1 Brahma x Chianina cows. Huge, white, polled cows as big or maybe bigger than the pure chianinas. Chianina will take more leather off a Brahma cross than any breed will, too. All of these cows were polled, and white, with dark skin and points. They were probably the best momma cows I ever had.. more than enough milk for their calves, which you could just about sit on the porch and watch them grow daily. The 1st year I got them, I bred them to the same Angus bull that I bred the Chi-Holsteins to. All black polled calves that brought top dollar at the sales. The 2nd year and all the rest, I bred these to a reg polled Charolais. Forget now why I decided to do that, but Holy hand grenades Batman!!! Talk about high bread vinegar!! These calves weaned out 150-200 lbs heavier than their Angus-sired siblings, even those out of the Chi-Holstein cows! Those white steers might have brought a few cents a pound less than the black ones, but that 200 lb more weight more than made up for it. It was the heifers though, that people would pay a LOT of money for. They looked like big ole tall Charolais, with black skin and points, and less ear than you'd see in a Charbray. One person who bought them and bred them to black bulls did get a lot of smokies out of them. Another guy that got them, though, used Simmental and Charlolais bulls on them for their 2nd calves on. Those calves out- performed the calves out of his pure Charolais cows 20-25%.

Kinda a hard question for me to answer. To me if a cross works it's not really odd. The only thing I can think of is I have had some pure longhorn cows that I bred to a brangus bull, and somehow it was like the calves were all brangus, no horns, no color and shaped just like any brangus you have ever seen.
I raised roping cattle back in the 80's and early 90's, and when team penning took off in the mid 90's, I started breeding my Criolo cows...Longhorn, Corrientte, Fla Cracker and Piney Woods, to Angus and Brangus bulls. I always used homozygous for black bulls, and all of these calves were black and polled. For a few years I had 2 or 3 Correinte x Watusi or LH x Watusi, and these cows sometimes had horned calves, but they were all solid black. You'd see 7-8 month old calves getting on their knees to nurse a Corrientte mother. Now days, people are breeding for black Corriente cattle, with the prospect of using them to cross on Angus bulls. There is absolutely no way to make more money off your cow-calve operation than using these cattle and Brangus bulls. Very low initial costs too buy the cows. They thrive on marginal pasture, weeds, scrub brush, weeds and briars. There is zero calving problem and they have plenty of milk. Heat, cold, parasites and insects to not bother them. And, they wil wean off a black calf every bit as an Angus or Hereford cow would wean.

Just wondering what is some of the strangest crossbreds that anyone has ever seen that have made for attractive stock?
Please add pics if you can, would love to see the oddities out there!

Saw an odd combo today that worked, I need to get better photos that do the animal justice, sweet little thing, had a lot of eye appeal for my liking.
I can tell you the coolest one is a mini f1 where you breed a zebu and a mini hereford!:ROFLMAO: and beefalos are really cool as well
Beyond beefalo — High Country News – Know the West

Okay, Had a few minutes to scrounge up some of these pics, can't find the Longhorn x Brangus tho.
Here is the Brangus x Galloway
Braway.jpg

And here is a 8 month old Peid calf from a Longhorn momma
whitecalf017_zpsfbca2878.jpg
Great looking calf! A bit leggy but he actually has a rear end.
Don't think any black angus people can advertise there stock has an ass.

An odd breed combo I've seen work here in Australia is Speckled Park Droughtmaster cross. I'm seeing heaps of them. People are selling F1 bulls for good money. It's crazy.
You're not wrong, some of those speckle and speckle crosses are selling for rediculous money, i thought once numbers got up it would fall away but demand is growing stronger all the time.

Latest posts