Most odd combo you have seen that works?

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
Just wondering what is some of the strangest crossbreds that anyone has ever seen that have made for attractive stock?
Please add pics if you can, would love to see the oddities out there!

Saw an odd combo today that worked, I need to get better photos that do the animal justice, sweet little thing, had a lot of eye appeal for my liking.

There was an odd combo of two breeds that worked in Australia a little while back. It's a composite breed of Brahman and Galloway.

Kinda a hard question for me to answer. To me if a cross works it's not really odd. The only thing I can think of is I have had some pure longhorn cows that I bred to a brangus bull, and somehow it was like the calves were all brangus, no horns, no color and shaped just like any brangus you have ever seen.

denvermartinfarms":352qvy73 said:
Kinda a hard question for me to answer. To me if a cross works it's not really odd. The only thing I can think of is I have had some pure longhorn cows that I bred to a brangus bull, and somehow it was like the calves were all brangus, no horns, no color and shaped just like any brangus you have ever seen.
Woah, you mean that combo totally overtook all the longhorn traits? Even the butt?

Okay, Had a few minutes to scrounge up some of these pics, can't find the Longhorn x Brangus tho.
Here is the Brangus x Galloway
Braway.jpg

And here is a 8 month old Peid calf from a Longhorn momma
whitecalf017_zpsfbca2878.jpg

Don't have a picture but once had a Char x Jersey cow. Would trade every cow I have now for a field full of them. Not sure if it was just that particular cow or if that cross really works all the time. Her calves showed no dairy influence were polled when bred to angus and would be the same size at 5 months as others were at 7 months. Bag was perfect teets were perfect.

u4411clb":31os4f1y said:
Don't have a picture but once had a Char x Jersey cow. Would trade every cow I have now for a field full of them. Not sure if it was just that particular cow or if that cross really works all the time. Her calves showed no dairy influence were polled when bred to angus and would be the same size at 5 months as others were at 7 months. Bag was perfect teets were perfect.
My bud used to A.I with Charolais semen on his Holstein cows and all xbred calves were pretty beefed up. He also bred the xbred cows to an angus bull and every calf was a smokey....you won't know that these calves were 1/4 dairy. No dock from the sale barn. Nice momma cows tho a little too tall.

glacierridge":2cmzu0f0 said:
denvermartinfarms":2cmzu0f0 said:
Woah, you mean that combo totally overtook all the longhorn traits? Even the butt?
I know it's hard to believe, but yes the calves were hard to tell from full brangus calves. May have had something to do with those particular cows, I don't know.

u4411clb":uiufi85l said:
Do either of these seem close?
charjers_zps0ba4b11d.jpg

charjerz_zps915c4b3e.jpg

denvermartinfarms":1ekp7tz5 said:
glacierridge":1ekp7tz5 said:
denvermartinfarms":1ekp7tz5 said:
I know it's hard to believe, but yes the calves were hard to tell from full brangus calves. May have had something to do with those particular cows, I don't know.
Too bad you don't have a pic!

u4411clb":2iziv5j9 said:
Don't have a picture but once had a Char x Jersey cow. Would trade every cow I have now for a field full of them. Not sure if it was just that particular cow or if that cross really works all the time. .
It was your particular cow. :nod: I had to buy a few char/jersey calves for what jersey heifer calves are worth after a semen mix up. I tried making cows out of them and the results were dismal.

A local Holstein dairy used a limm bull on some cows, and I put a limm- Holstein cross heifer on an angus cow that lost her calf. She grew up to be a huge black calf-raising, milk-wagon.
Her 50% angus, 25% stein, 25% limm daughters also have been amazing calf raisers! They wean black calves 150 lb heavier than their angus herdmates, and you can't see the stein.

jasonleonard":3drvjt6z said:
A local Holstein dairy used a limm bull on some cows, and I put a limm- Holstein cross heifer on an angus cow that lost her calf. She grew up to be a huge black calf-raising, milk-wagon.
Her 50% angus, 25% stein, 25% limm daughters also have been amazing calf raisers! They wean black calves 150 lb heavier than their angus herdmates, and you can't see the stein.
That's awesome!!!!
How big are their frames?

I will try to get some pics on here of those stein/limm cross cows. I am not sure about a frame score, but they sure get heavy when they don't have a calf by their side.