Most exspensive amount

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
What is the most you would spend on a Bull?

if you have a small herd 10-20 worth 10,000 - 40,000
would you buy a bull worth 50% of your herd value? or what

If you have a larger her 40+ what would you spend on a bull
2,000 - 5,000 20,000+

Comments :
best way to choose budget for a bull not how much you can come up with Im not talking about refing your home and saying this is my budget 65,000 +

I would say its not the dollar amount of what should be spent... but the quality. That being said, I would have in mind a set price (give or take a few hundred) of what I would want to pay also.

I wonder how much Caustic Burno would pay for a bull? Since he is commercial.

Walt

I think there are a lot of real good bulls out there for around 2 k.
for commercial herds. If your selling seed stock you will need a name behind it. Same quality animal for perhaps 20 k but you got the name. :shock:

Txwalt":30wu6nr5 said:
I wonder how much Caustic Burno would pay for a bull? Since he is commercial.

Walt

Cant speak for Caustic, but I am commercial. $1500 is about tops for me to pay for a 12 to 14 month old bull. A lot of the fads that seedstock producers are chasing, are like a fart in the wind. I just hope I am upwind from it.

I agree with hustoncutter. About $1500 is about all I will pay for a commercial bull. I guess much depends on your market. Do you plan to market registered stock, sell at the market, beef them out yourself? Many considerations.

For probably 90% of us a $1500 bulls is about all we need.

I've paid between $1000 and $1650 for the bulls I've bought. I wouldn't go more then that but that's just me and we run a purely commercial herd, so papers don't really mean anything to me, I don't register any calves.

There were some pure brangus cows who were bred to a pure brangus bull for sale up at Mineral Wells. I took some of the older cows cheap. The best of the bunch was a fence wrecker who liked to jump so she went back to the sale barn. The rest of them calved. I kept my bull out of that bunch and sold everything else including my papered charlais bull once the brangus bull became breeding age. He'll be four years old in July and I sold his mother at auction for $175 more than I paid for her originally. In fact, I made money on all of them except the fence wrecker who I lost about $30 on once you figure the commission cost and transport fuel.

Anyway, I don't have much invested in my bull. He is throwing excellent calves.

Latest posts