Mosquitos

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
I had a long standing argument settled the other day by our friends at the weather channel. I had long contended that the mosquitos were thcker here than anywhere in the US. Many argued that south LA and the Texas coast, the everglades, or up north around the land of lakes had more mosquitos.

The weather channel posted a map showing mosquito concentrations across the US. It was much like a drought map in design. They showed about a 50 mile radius extended around my house that higher mosquito populations than anywhere else. These rice fields really breed 'em up.

JB

Was talking to some kids that just came back from the Hereford Jr Nationals in Tunica, Miss. They still had bites in them from the "monster" skeeters. The one girl actually got a picture of skeeter. It was sitting on someone else's arm. They said there was no concentration of repelent that they found that would work. J Baxter, what do you suggest as repelent, for future reference.
Other than to simply quit winning and toughen up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heck certherbeef, I rightfully just don't know. I've tried everything from off to pure deet. They just seem to eat the stuff up. Pure deet is by far the best. I wish they would bring ddt back. I could stand to lose an eagle egg or two if they would get rid of these skeeters.

JB

You know you have a problem with size when you hear two of them arguing about if they'll drain you there or carry you back home to do it.

dun

I know they are rough on the few angus cows I have. They don't seem to bother my brangus at all. I really like my angus cows, but I'm going to phase them out just because of this. I don't feel that it is fair to the old girls. I've seen their backs look like they were covered with holly berries from all the blood spots when the striped mosquitoes are bad.

I really hate to see one of them carry off a yearling. I've started chaining them to the tractor at night.

JB

certherfbeef":omamyqul said:
J Baxter, what do you suggest as repelent, for future reference.

I'm not J. Baxter but we have had a huge mosquito population in this part of the country forever.
The best thing that I have found for control in a 1 acre area around the yard is thee Mosquito Magnet. They are expensive but they do work. The wannabes that I have heard about are much less expensive, but they are not near as effective.. For a larger area, I would recommend putting up some Purple Martin Houses. They will attract purple martins which will clean up the mosquitoes, and other flying insects, but they are only around for a few months. Around the house and barns, to keep mosquitoes from breeding, don't let water stand nedlessly. Like in buckets, bird baths small puddles after a rain., etc.
We are surrounded by 1000's of acres acres of rice fields and since I have had the Mosquito Magnet for 3 yrs and the Purple Martins we don't have near the mosquito problems that have had previously.

la4angus":vkkc53ki said:
certherfbeef":vkkc53ki said:
J Baxter, what do you suggest as repelent, for future reference.

I'm not J. Baxter but we have had a huge mosquito population in this part of the country forever.
The best thing that I have found for control in a 1 acre area around the yard is thee Mosquito Magnet. They are expensive but they do work. The wannabes that I have heard about are much less expensive, but they are not near as effective.. For a larger area, I would recommend putting up some Purple Martin Houses. They will attract purple martins which will clean up the mosquitoes, and other flying insects, but they are only around for a few months. Around the house and barns, to keep mosquitoes from breeding, don't let water stand nedlessly. Like in buckets, bird baths small puddles after a rain., etc.
We are surrounded by 1000's of acres acres of rice fields and since I have had the Mosquito Magnet for 3 yrs and the Purple Martins we don't have near the mosquito problems that have had previously.

How does the Mosquito Magnet work?

Craig-TX

It works with a propane talk hooked up to it and the gas is similar to the smell that humans let off. It attracks the mosquitoes to it and there is a mesh bag inside with a fan that will pull the mosquitoes in to the bag and they can't get out and they dehydrate. A 20 lb. propane tank last about 4 weeks. Like I said, they are great for a small area around the house. Mine takes care of about an acre. It only attracts mosquitoes and not the beneficial insects.
Send me your email address and I will get you the company info on it and send it to you. I can be outside anytime of day or evening and never have a mosquito come near me.

Those of you from the south might not think about this but Alaska will rank right near the top for mosquito production. It is a shorter season but they make up for it in both size and numbers. They make up for the short season by being especially bloodthirsty.
Dave

I've know one place down on the Texas Gulf Coast where there's so many mosquitos that they have a seat on the school board. It's been rumored that they've killed cattle, from what I understand they're so thick they fill up the air ways and the cow smothers!

Dave is right about Alaska mosquito's too. In 1984 I worked up at Prudoe Bay and when the ice started melting in mid May the mosquitos started hatching out. They had little black hairs all over their bodies like little fur coats. Gave the cariboo fits out in the Tundra, clouds of them.

;-)

J Baxter":xibpfw8m said:
I had a long standing argument settled the other day by our friends at the weather channel. I had long contended that the mosquitos were thcker here than anywhere in the US. Many argued that south LA and the Texas coast, the everglades, or up north around the land of lakes had more mosquitos.

The weather channel posted a map showing mosquito concentrations across the US. It was much like a drought map in design. They showed about a 50 mile radius extended around my house that higher mosquito populations than anywhere else. These rice fields really breed 'em up.

JB
You should pay a visit to South Florida on September night if you think your mosquito population is bad.

As I lay on my bed, thinking about you, I feel this strong urge to grab you and squeeze you, because I can't forget last night.

You came to me unexpectedly during the balmy and calm night, and what happened in my bed still leaves a tingling sensation in me.

You appeared from nowhere and shamelessly, without any reservations, you laid on my naked body...you sensed my indifference, so you applied your hungry mouth to me without any guilt or humiliation, and you drove me near crazy while you drained me.

Finally I went to sleep.

Today when I woke up, you were gone, I searched for you but to no avail.

My body still bears faint marks of your enthusiastic ravishing, making it harder to forget you.

Tonight I will remain awake waiting for you...
...........you freaking mosquito

txag, you oughta be ashamed. Just tell everybody! You shoulda just sent your little buddy one of those private "Thanks for Last Night" notes!

Texan":223ukut4 said:
txag, you oughta be ashamed. Just tell everybody! You shoulda just sent your little buddy one of those private "Thanks for Last Night" notes!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can hear our skeeters coming from a mile away - BZZZZZ - sounds like a helicopter. I get a welp the size of a quarter every bite I get. The are almost as bad as fireants :mad: and I HATE fireants! There have been 2 people from out church that have gotten the west nile virus. My aunt was one of them, she almost died. She's better now though, thank the Lord :D

Latest posts