Mosquitoes and dairy cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

There's only one way I know how to deal with mosquitos in general. Make sure every single solitary thing that can hold water is emptied. That means old tires, cans, buckets, anything. AND, make sure the cattle water troughs have something in them to keep the wrigglers down. My brother puts a cup of bleach in the water. That seemed scary to me, but so far it's working. I keep little perch in my calves' water troughs.

Flies: There's a product called quick bait, I think that's the name. It's red granules. It can be mixed with water and painted on surfaces and/or just sprinkled around high fly infestation areas. Problem is, 1 million flies are born every second, it seems. Flies are one of the banes of my existence. Also, I squirt that stuff that horse people use to spray on their horses on the back ends of the baby calves that are scoured. Gives them a bit of relief.

Alice

Does Maine have extension agents? If so, contact the one in your area. They have all kinds of info on stuff like that. The info might not be what is the easiest, but it's been researched.

Either a pour on fly repellent or a fly spray specifically labeled for food producing animals works very well. Might have to spray her every few days, but it'll keep the flies off, and since you're handling her twice daily it won't be much extra trouble.