Mortality Rate In Calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

sozo

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the average percent of calves dying either at birth or within a 6 month period is?Thanks

I always operate figureing 10% mortality rate for mature cows and higher for heifers when I retained them.
I haven't lost but a few in the last couple of years and my loses have been much less. I have had some years much higher as well.
There are so dang many things that can bite you, idiot cow, misrepresntation, new disease,, moldy hay, pine straw, varmits etc.

Number one loss factor here after birth is Black Vultures and dogs.

I too have read 10%. That said I've found it easy to drop that rate by regular checking and cows that are easy to help if necessary. It's the cold that gets us here.

Longhorns: Probably less than 1% mortality rate due to all causes.

This aside:

To reduce mortality rate on any breed of cattle:
  • 1. Clean debris free pastures (avoid hardware & plastic disease).
    2. Good hay and/or feed without any mold or bugs.
    3. Relative clean water.
    4. Comprehensive vaccination program from beginning.
    5. Cattle breed suited for climate.
    6. Absence of dangerous predators.
    7. Frequent checking on animals.
    8. Avoiding confined dirty quarters they live in.
    9. Shelter from nasty weather.
    10. Healthy breeding stock with good genetics.
    11. Regular de-worming program.
    12. Easy calving females.
    13. Clean, good, non-toxic grass and weeds.
    14. Always quarantine new arrivals.
    15. Be cautious of Sale Barn animals: Know their quality & health.
    16. Quality mineral program.
    17. Isolate and/or treat any sick animals found.
    18. Vaccinate as needed to avoid shipping fever.

Victoria":g4k1d2zz said:
I too have read 10%. That said I've found it easy to drop that rate by regular checking and cows that are easy to help if necessary. It's the cold that gets us here.

Mine is much lower than that on average found a good line of bulls, calves get here about the size of a housecat. I have stuck with the line as I have been to the other rodeos and hit the ground hard.
I might be a little lighter at weaning but I got there with a live healthy calf that didn't need assitance.
When you start planing for less than 10% you are counting your chickens before your eggs hatch. Over the years I have lost calves to everything imaginable under the sun. The list would be shorter on what hasn't got one. If I remember right I lost one calf last year to vultures, might loose 10 this year.

10% is a safe assumption, although in 2005 I had a high rate. I think it was mainly due to shipping fever. Vaccine followed by good nutrient feed is best precaution. You will lose a few no matter what you do though... :?

Caustic Burno":zkqwhhx4 said:
Victoria":zkqwhhx4 said:

Mine is much lower than that on average found a good line of bulls, calves get here about the size of a housecat. I have stuck with the line as I have been to the other rodeos and hit the ground hard.
I might be a little lighter at weaning but I got there with a live healthy calf that didn't need assitance.
When you start planing for less than 10% you are counting your chickens before your eggs hatch. Over the years I have lost calves to everything imaginable under the sun. The list would be shorter on what hasn't got one. If I remember right I lost one calf last year to vultures, might loose 10 this year.

Had a neighbor that was running much lower than 10% till lighting struck a tree and killed about 15 calves in the shade last fall...
Numbers have a way of coming around when you least except it.

Caustic Burno":1bkcidkv said:
Victoria":1bkcidkv said:

You're right about bulls Caustic. I'm not knocking Charolais but when we got Red Angus bulls we started having smaller more energetic calves (good for cold) and lost a lot less. Again lower fall weights but when you total in the losses you make a lot more profit. Besides at 120 pounds it was getting too tough to drag 140 pound Charolais calves to the house to warm up. ;-)
You've got that many more vultures this year than last? :shock:
We just had the cold snap -68 F (with windchill) is not the greatest for calving. Lost one that was born at night even though we were checking every two hours. It's always depressing to lose one at the beginning of the season. Not as bad as losing one when you've got 100% and are done though. :mad:

My experience with big old lazy bull calves has been nothing but bad. Different bulls and cows now and we're having small, energetic fast growing calves that can't wait to get a tit in their mouth. Real survivors.

TexasBred":2965s7mo said:
My experience with big old lazy bull calves has been nothing but bad. Different bulls and cows now and we're having small, energetic fast growing calves that can't wait to get a tit in their mouth. Real survivors.

Any particular breed?

gerardplauche":9eei5ra4 said:
Any particular breed?

The most vigorous new born calves I've ever seen is from the Red Angus bull Cherokee Canyon. That's the one thing I like about him. But we've used a couple of other RA bulls that are a close second, of Herefords the most lively at birth have been 774's calves

dun":2ccoz3ba said:
gerardplauche":2ccoz3ba said:
Any particular breed?

The most vigorous new born calves I've ever seen is from the Red Angus bull Cherokee Canyon. That's the one thing I like about him. But we've used a couple of other RA bulls that are a close second, of Herefords the most lively at birth have been 774's calves

dun - I am also a Hereford fan now. Last couple of calf bunches I bought were mostly Herefords and all are doing well. A very healthy breed from my experience. I have the most trouble with the Angus calves. It seems they are the most fragile. Have you ever had problems with Angus before?

gerardplauche":1f7dthtl said:
TexasBred":1f7dthtl said:

Any particular breed?

Gerald most of the "big lazy bull calves" I've been around were Holstein and Simmental influence . Maybe it was just my bad luck but "big" seemed to be the key word. Really prefer the smaller calves that just seem to have a stronger desire to survive.

gerardplauche":3as2zc6h said:
dun - I am also a Hereford fan now. Last couple of calf bunches I bought were mostly Herefords and all are doing well. A very healthy breed from my experience. I have the most trouble with the Angus calves. It seems they are the most fragile. Have you ever had problems with Angus before?

We haven;t used a black Angus bull in years. Got a couple bred to 6I6 to calve next month though. The last black Angus we used we had no problems with the calves, but they didn;t jump right up and start chasing the teat as fast as most of the RA Calves. We've only used 2 Simmenthal bulls, one's calves were really vigorous, the other bulls calves were a little slower to get the picture.

TexasBred - I know what you mean. I've had a few holstein bull calves over the years. They were very large framed and required constant babysitting. It took them longer to eat regularly, required double doses of antibiotics, acquired shipping fever, etc.

gerardplauche":tneavl0f said:
TexasBred":tneavl0f said:

Any particular breed?

Highlands are the best I have ever seen. Too bad they don't bring in more money at auction. Second best we've had are our Red Angus. We've never had Black Angus.

Latest posts