morrels

Help Support CattleToday:

Heard of a few being found still not quite warm here yet.Our turkey season comes in late April so I get lucky even if I can't find a tom.Love the rooms. :D

Morrels are turkeys ??

I am sure that hunting turkeys must be increadible. A pity I don't live in the States :(

L

Shotting them is easy tracking is the hard part.I like using a fork for my weapon. :D

Rolled in flour or cornmeal ,salt ,pepper, fried in oil wash down with millerlite.Good stuff, it's a party in your mouth. :banana: :banana:

Nah ~ I think they are best just rinsed and fried in butter. I don't want to add anything that takes away from the taste. Here we won't see them until the lilacs bloom. It is quite a wait yet I am thinking. :frowns: The spot my family has hunted in for years has all but dried up. Still we go back thinking "maybe this year...." I know they are closer to us than the 2 hour drive I make with my mom, but I don't know where, and no one will tell their spot. :secret:

Had a oldtimer tell me they use to put thier find in a burlap sack and the spores would fall out and restart now about everyone uses plastic bags so the spores aren't replaced.I don't know but that was his thoughts on why they aren't as plentiful.
As for the good spots it's easier to get someone to take you to their trout hole than their patch.I've had people take me to their speical patch that no one knows about and didn't have the heart to tell them i'd been there before.

alot of people go in and when they find a spot pick all the shrooms we have always left 1/3 of them so they come back don't know if that works but it is the way we have always done it and we always have them

neighbor came by yesterday he says he is finding a few

Morrels are hard to find. I pick these little round ones, better then Morrels :nod: just sliced and fried in butter, very good. There are some bad ones that look similar, seems few people want to take the chance. :roll:
First time I tried them, had 1 small slice. Then sat down tried to determine if I was feeling kinda funny. Seemed OK :shock: next day sliced and fried up a whole one, about the size of a ping pawn ball. Sat down fully expecting this time to feel a bit funny. :???: Felt good :cowboy: Next day fried up a whole batch :nod: 8) So I think I got it figured out. I did my experimenting without the Boss's knowledge, don't believe she would have allowed it. :frowns:
These things pop up after rains, from about May 20th to mid Sept.

We should start seeing them in the next couple of weeks. :) And I'd have to agree with angie, you just gotta fry them in butter. The best mushrooms though, since no one has given an opinion are yellow sponges.

I read a book once that said that there were only 3 or 4 poisionious types in WV.I've not died yet but did get deathly sick once.Course that could of been from eating to many :D :D

rusty":3947xzkg said:
Had a oldtimer tell me they use to put thier find in a burlap sack and the spores would fall out and restart now about everyone uses plastic bags so the spores aren't replaced.I don't know but that was his thoughts on why they aren't as plentiful.
Good in theory, but not in practice. We've use onion bags to hunt ~ but it is purely a "just in case its true" type of thing. It is my understanding that there is a root system, and the regrowth is based soley on all that happens underground.