Morning chores

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I love having cattle. Look forward all day, to the afternoon. I always have some goal in mind, when I get home. Can't say I enjoy morning chores (not on a work day at least). I guesss I'm lazy. That bed sure feels good when the alarm goes off. I let the kids be kids on morning chores (on school days), I let them sleep, and just get ready for school. The bulls had found their way back out with cows some time during the night. That probably soured me a little more than normal. Anyway, never been a fan of tending the farm in the AM hours. Guess when I retire, I'll look at things differently.

feeling the pain....

my old gelding is needing to be fed a mash twice a day now....his teeth are going bad and he can't eat enough forage to keep weight on...
so it is up at 4:30 to go out and feed him and it takes an hour for him to eat it.....

I'm just the opposite Bigfoot... I have always been a morning person and I like getting out to tend to things around the farm while the world wakes up! Now when it comes to evening... I would just as soon be sitting in my recliner watching TV unless something urgent needs my attention, like calving season. If I am still awake past 10:00pm, you better believe something needs my attention!!

I'm not a morning fan either. I would rather work later into the night than get up early.
My dad once was surprised to wake up early in the morning and find all of the calves weaned and in the barn. He asked me later how early I got up to sort catch and sort the calves. I said, about 11:00 pm last night, they were all in the lot with a few cows, so I sorted, and fed them. :lol:

I loathe mornings... I'll work all hours into the night though.. I have similar weaning stories to Sim ang King's.. I work them better alone anyhow without someone yelling at me to be careful, etc
I always get the late shift at calving time, works for me.

I prefer the morning, but that's just because it gets so hot in the summer. 9 AM is the best time to work. It's cool enough, but the dew has burned off.

If I didn't work another job, I think I'd be happy to get out there. It's just not appealing to me, to have an hour and halfs worth of work......before I leave for work. Monday's could suck start Harley though. So maybe I was just extra jaded this morning.

I like morning, but it doesn't like me. Need to be plugged into the coffee circulator for a good hour or two before the motor even thinks about turning over. Once it warms up, it's pretty good for the rest of the day.

I fix and take care of everything in the world before 9am.............in my mind.
Like Aaron, I got to have plenty of coffee in me before I can get off the porch.
Not sleepy, just can't get my bones and muscles moving in the same direction at the same time anymore.

Bigfoot, I knew there was surely some balance with work in there somewhere. Sometimes it's just difficult to interpret the full story with just typed words. From what you wrote about working in the other thread, I assumed you were a workaholic who was up at 3:00am cracking the whip and putting in what most would consider a day's work before the sun even came up, but what you wrote here seems like the thoughts of a rational guy to me. You let the kids sleep and get ready for school without the worry of chores, and you admit that you just don't care for an hour or so of chores before heading off to work. I'm with you there. Heck, who would? Luckily, I don't have any "before work chores" unless a cow is sick.

I don't know if I'm a morning or evening person overall, but when it comes to work on the farm, or anywhere for that matter, if I have a specific job to do, I'd just as soon get up at 4:00am and get going. We had a few "work days" that we had to put in at school last year on our own. We had to be at school at least 6 hours without lunch for it to count. I got there one morning at 4:30 and left at 10:30. I only did one day that way because everybody thought I had cracked up.

I guess I'm lucky so far; I'm 50, and I don't have to go through that "come to life" process yet. I can wake up, put my farm clothes on and be out the door in 10 minutes if I have to. Then, like TN Cattle Man wrote, when evening rolls around, I'm done and would rather be in the recliner watching tv.

Hero, I'm not a morning person. I'm back at the house now. Been stabbing at it since about 4:30. Ran til 8:30 last night. What's that like 16 hours. That's enough to suit me. That 16 hour day yesterday, sure made that bed feel good this morning. kinda wish I was in it now.

My wife is a morning person. She got up at the same time. She hates our hood wood floors. She puts on socks as soon as she gets up. Puts her socks on standing up. Every morning, I think what strange majic is this, that she can put socks on while standing at 4:30. My body doesn't do tricks like that. Not at 4:30 anyway.

I don't mind getting up early, but by God you better not speak to me, or look at me till around 9 am. I'm as friendly as can be after 9, but the first few hours of my day, I want to be left alone.

I love getting up early in the spring and summer when it's not cold out. But in the winter you have to drag me out. Lots of morning in the summer I will get up around 4:00am and now hay till 8:00 then go in to work. Doesn't bother me at all. With my job Iam on call a lot so I'll get called out all hours of the night.

I like to go into the job early vs staying late, but it gets harder as the years go by , still get up early just can't get moving like I used to . On the farm , I can start early and stay late, may be plum wore out but it just feels better .

After years of getting up at 4:00 or earlier the last 20 years I worked I got to sleep until 5:00 and it felt like sleeping in. Now that I am retired I really do sleep in, all the way to 6:00. If I have something to do I have no problem being out the door in 15 minutes from the time my feet hit the floor.

Latest posts