More Wet Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
WillowCreek5-07004.jpg

This is looking down at the neighbors set of corrals that I was supposed to help brand at on Monday...He has cows and calves now on both sides of the creek- and it could be 2-3 weeks before the creek is low enough to get everything back together....This is Willow Creek, about 2 miles up the creek (southwest) from my place... This Creek drains a large area of the country out in the Missouri Breaks area...

WillowCreek5-07005.jpg

Photo as you go southwest up the creek

WillowCreek5-07006.jpg

More water coming from as far as you can see..

WillowCreek5-07003.jpg

Looking down the creek toward where it dumps into the Milk River...Doing a good job irrigating some pasture and some Blue Joint hayfields...The normal creekbed is about 20 feet deep and 20 feet wide at the top...

Foxpup.jpg

While I was looking at the creek I was being looked at by a family of little fox that were living in the strawstack on top the hill...

WillowCreek5-07010.jpg

This is Cherry Creek that drains in from the north (runs right thru a 1/2 section of deeded land I have in the middle of the community pasture :) )This may be the reason that Plan B of moving to a neighbors up north to brand on Monday may never come to be--especially with the radar showing more thunderstorms moving in tonight and the weather boys predicting an 80% chance of rain tomorrow....

OT where the heck is your snow?Since when is ther such a big difference between Montana and Southern AB for weather? :)

Who would think that you guy's would have this much water though? :( It is just not fair we are drowning and others are dying of thirst.

I had a dream that our place looked some what like that. I wasn't as greedy as the pictures you posted.

It makes me think I will live to see it again. Flood plain make for good land.

hillsdown":1opeogub said:
( It is just not fair we are drowning and others are dying of thirst.

You must be referring to us. Here is a picture of a field I sprigged in Tift 85 several weeks ago.

drought.jpg

I'm not sure, but I don't think I got a stand. :help: Maybe next year.

Oldtimer, I'm glad you are getting the rain. By the way, does the muddy water mess up the fishing in the streams. You got trout don't you? Just curious.

hillsdown":1rf1vo8k said:
OT where the heck is your snow?Since when is ther such a big difference between Montana and Southern AB for weather? :)

Who would think that you guy's would have this much water though? :( It is just not fair we are drowning and others are dying of thirst.

Must be that magic Medicine Line ;-) :lol: Actually we've had some near 90 temps already- and we're only 60 miles south of the line....But this morning their was frost on the windshield...

Actually I'd really like to share some- enough is enough...But right now we have another front moving in- radar looks like it could start raining any minute...And the weather boys are now predicting we could pick up another 1/2 inch to inch by Friday night- which will put the Milk River at flood or near flood stage..

But having lived 60 years in this country I've learned to take it when you can get it....

We had over 3 inchs on Monday-Tuesday alone and over 5 inch's in the last week at the home place....The Doppler radar shows that some of this Missouri Breaks country that Willow Creek drains may have got 7-10 inches in the last week.....

Last year this same area only got a little over 10 inches moisture for the entire year- and our average is only 11......

Jogeephus":24bhcnc5 said:
Oldtimer, I'm glad you are getting the rain. By the way, does the muddy water mess up the fishing in the streams. You got trout don't you? Just curious.

Jogeephus that is a mighty sad looking field.. I truly feel for you and have been there and done it...Sure wish I could send some of this extra moisture your way.....

Not much fish in these creeks- as many of them don't run year around...These warm water rivers are not much for trout- mostly walleyes, catfish-- some northerns, drum, bullheads and the ever present shiners and carp....

This high and muddy water could really screw up the local Big Catfish contest scheduled for June 2 on the Milk River.....

Luckily so far today only a few sprinkles-- but out south about 5 miles, right thru where Willow Creek runs they say it has been raining heavy most the night and all morning--- and they have picked up another 1.5 to 2 inches of rain......

My yard finally dried out enough overnite I could get backed up to the trailer- and haul a mare out to a stud I want to breed her to...So at least I accomplished something.....

Well Plan B went down the creek last night in more thunderstorms...Thunderstorm moved in around 10PM with quite a lightning/thunder show and then rain...Picked up another .8 during the night...Beautiful out this morning-with sun shining and birds singing- but I know we'll never get trailers and horses down that 9 miles of road we need to get to the corrals we planned at branding at....

What a wet country we live in :roll: ;-) The weather boys say a dry slot today- with thunderstorms moving in tonite and likely rain for Tues and Wed...

This may be one of those years when some are still branding in August...What the hoot- as long as the grass is growing :) ...Now to figure out Plan C for today....

Latest posts