MORE Things You Don't Hear Anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":249zts01 said:
One that Dad told me as I got slapped away from the supper table at 17 was Poke and Grit.
I came in and Mom had cooked turnip greens and I hate turnip greens and I made the comment is this what we are having, all I saw was the back of a large hand coming.
I was told if I didn't like what was for supper to poke and grit, poke my feet under the table and grit my dam teeth.

Horrid memories of Castor Oil as well as my Mom was convinced it cured everything from the common cold to cancer.
Oh! boy I remember that one, along with Cod Liver oil and a spoon of malt, what on God's good earth possessed them to think such a thing...Crulety to children in the most loving of ways.... :lol2:
I remember my brother once asking for some bread with his dinner, my Dad took his dinner away and said if you want a sandwich here have one. he never asked again. Bread was only for breakfast and lunch, unless we had a stew for dinner. Dad was strict on that sort of thing.
I remember don't eat the pips of that orange/apple you'll have trees grow in you belly.
eat your carrots they make you see in the dark.
eat your crusts it'll make your hair curly. and in my brothers case it was make your hair straight.

Chrisy just reminded me of another. When did we start naming the major meals of the day Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner? Used to be called Breakfast, Dinner and Supper.

lavacarancher":15hx8wpt said:
Chrisy just reminded me of another. When did we start naming the major meals of the day Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner? Used to be called Breakfast, Dinner and Supper.
That's alwasy be a dependant on where you are deal. We had breakfast lunch and supper if we ate at home, dinner if we went somewhere to eat. As in come over for a chicken dinner on sunday. Don;t forget to bring the chicken!

lavacarancher":9y6scxco said:
It has always been that way in my family, as supper is something small you have just before bed time, milk and biscuits or a piece of toast. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper.

Latest posts