MORE Things You Don't Hear Anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Be sure to refill the ice trays, we're going to have company.
Watch for the postman, I want to get this letter to Willie in the mail today.
Quit slamming the screen door when you go out!
Be sure and pull the windows down when you leave, it looks like a shower is coming up.

Don't forget to wind the clock before you go to bed.
Wash your feet before you go to bed, you've been playing outside all day barefooted.

Why can't you remember to roll up your britches legs?
Getting them caught in the bicycle chain so many times is tearing them up.
You have torn the knees out of that pair of pants so many times there is nothing left to put a patch on.

Don't you go outside with your school clothes on!
Go comb your hair; it looks like the rats have nested in it all night..
Be sure and pour the cream off the top of the milk when you open the new bottle.
Take that empty bottle to the store with you so you won't have to pay a deposit on another one.

Put a dish towel over the cake so the flies won't get on it.
Quit jumping on the floor! I have a cake in the oven and you are going to make it fall if you don't quit!

Let me know when the Fuller Brush man comes by, I need to get a few things from him.
You boys stay close by, the car may not start and I will need you to help push it off.

There's a dollar in my purse, get 5 gallons of gas when you go to town.
Open the back door and see if we can get a breeze through here, it is getting hot.

You can walk to the store; it won't hurt you to get some exercise.

If you pull that stunt again, I am going to wear you out!
Don't lose that button; I'll sew it back on after awhile.

Wash under your neck before you come to the table, you have beads of dirt and sweat all under there.
Get out from under the sewing machine; pumping it messes up the thread!
Be sure and fill the lamps this morning so we don't have to do that tonight in the dark.

Here, take this old magazine to the toilet with you when you go, we are almost out of paper out there.

Go out to the well and draw a bucket of water so I can wash dishes.
Don't turn the radio on now, I want the battery to be up when the Grand Ole Opry comes on.

No! I don't have 10 cents for you to go to the show. Do you think money grows on trees?
Eat those turnips, they'll make you big and strong like your daddy..
That dog is NOT coming in this house! I don't care how cold it is out there, dogs don't stay in the house.

Sit still! I'm trying to get your hair cut straight and you keep moving and it is all messed up.

Hush your mouth! I don't want to hear words like that! I'll wash your mouth out with soap!

It is time for your system to be cleaned out. I am going to give you a dose of castor oil tonight.

If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you'll get another one when you get home.

Quit crossing your eyes! They will get stuck that way.

Be sure to hang the sign for 50 pounds since today is ice man day.!

Soak your foot in this pan of kerosene so that bad cut won't get infected.

When you take your driving test, don't forget to signal each turn. Left arm straight out the window for a left turn; left arm bent up at the elbow for a right turn; and straight down to the side of the door when you are going to stop.

It's: 'Yes Ma'am!' and 'No Ma'am!' to me, young man, and don't you forget it!

sounds like Old Texas was right much like Old Virginia.

I would add one that I dreaded to hear.....

"Young man, you go cut me a good switch!"

I swear I heard every one of those and many of them every day..............and the two worst were go cut me a switch and get the castor oil down for me.

Yes I've had to cut the the switch! Those welts on my rear end hurt for a while. Made me not do the same dumb thing again. You know, if my kids corected their kids the way I was corrected they would probably be in jail.

Texas Gal":oew7gg1s said:
Soak your foot in this pan of kerosene so that bad cut won't get infected.

We used turpentine at our house.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

We used kerosene on cuts and scraps but turpentine was used as cough medicine around our place. Put a couple of drops on a sugar cube and put it in your mouth.

Dad told me to go get a switch one time. I told him that was the electricians job. So much for union talk!

Don't pull faces like that, if the wind blows you'll stay like it.
What's a switch? I'm guessing it is something to be hit with....I have never had a smack from my Dad, had a few little taps from my Mum, but nothing to bring tears or leave a mark. I remember when a teacher hit me once, and boy was she lucky she wasn't a man, or my Dad would have been in jail. He went upto the school and wiped the floor with her with words. She never laid a finger on me or my two brothers again. My Dad had other ways of punishment and I think it hurt more than a whooping. To be kept in for a week, with no treats, while the sun was shinning and your friends were out and playing was torture.

chrisy":3a9oopv6 said:
What's a switch? I'm guessing it is something to be hit with....

A switch is a limb from a tree or shrub. Grown folk always made us go cut our own, some kinda entertainment for them I guess. My little brother would go and get the biggest one he could find, and my mom would throw mine away and use his. We had a lot of fruit trees around the place and the limbs were real limber, they would wrap all the way around you when you were getting thrashed. I can only remember my dad whipping me twice in my life, once in the seventh grade (with a belt), and once the week I had graduated high school (with his hands), and I deserved both. Not only was he my dad he was my best friend.

An excellent punishment in my opinion.
It made me think about what I had done and what was to come.
was much more meaningful than any amount of talking.
Might add that the punishment was ofetn delayed to allow more time for reflection.
as a youngun the dread was a far greater whipping than the whipping.
Often my mom would counter with
You call that a switch.....That's no switch....go cut a real switch.....You don't want me to have to go cut one.
then I got to go thru the whole process once more.
Also learned the hard way that to bring a switch that would break after one or two licks started the process all over again with more intensity.

Wash under your neck before you come to the table, you have beads of dirt and sweat all under there.

When I was growing up, we were told to go wash our necks because we were wearing "grandma's beads."

TexasBred":153f4v52 said:
Quit slamming the screen door when you go out!
Wash your feet before you go to bed, you've been playing outside all day barefooted.
Why can't you remember to roll up your britches legs?
Getting them caught in the bicycle chain so many times is tearing them up.
You have torn the knees out of that pair of pants so many times there is nothing left to put a patch on.
Don't you go outside with your school clothes on!
Go comb your hair; it looks like the rats have nested in it all night..
Be sure and pour the cream off the top of the milk when you open the new bottle.
Put a dish towel over the cake so the flies won't get on it.
Open the back door and see if we can get a breeze through here, it is getting hot.
You can walk to the store; it won't hurt you to get some exercise.
Don't lose that button; I'll sew it back on after awhile.
Get out from under the sewing machine; pumping it messes up the thread!
That dog is NOT coming in this house! I don't care how cold it is out there, dogs don't stay in the house.
Sit still! I'm trying to get your hair cut straight and you keep moving and it is all messed up.
Hush your mouth! I don't want to hear words like that! I'll wash your mouth out with soap!
If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you'll get another one when you get home.
Quit crossing your eyes! They will get stuck that way.

All of these plus more that some others have mentioned, are all still heard in our household. And I intend to continue that if and when I am fortunate enough to have my own children

I dont remeber seeing "Close the door, where were you raised, in a barn"

dun":41h7pb8b said:
I dont remeber seeing "Close the door, where were you raised, in a barn"
ours was 'close that door, you wern't born in a barn'
wash your ears, you could grow a field of spuds in there.
the tides come in judging by the mark around your neck. (go wash it)

One that Dad told me as I got slapped away from the supper table at 17 was Poke and Grit.
I came in and Mom had cooked turnip greens and I hate turnip greens and I made the comment is this what we are having, all I saw was the back of a large hand coming.
I was told if I didn't like what was for supper to poke and grit, poke my feet under the table and grit my dam teeth.

Horrid memories of Castor Oil as well as my Mom was convinced it cured everything from the common cold to cancer.

Latest posts