more stupid lease bs

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
so I lease about 40 ac attached to the pasture at my house. In one corner of the pasture I lease is a rental property house that the landlord also leases..
the guy that lives in it has somehow decided his kids are entitled to use it. throwing rocks at my cows..hitting golfballs into it....dog running wild..his wife taking walks out into it at dusk to do who knows whatever....hung a tire swing up in one of the trees. ''kids need somewhere to play dude comon''....like cows don't need another way to die....
so I asked him to remove it and didn't even say anything about the other stuff..cuz hes an ok guy and I didn't really care. took 3 days til he did it.
he tells me landlord said he could use the pasture since I wasn't paying anything for it..i told him that's bs..I do pay for it..and insure it...and my lease agreement says it is mine to use as I see fit..
so I go see the landlord and apparently his daughter runs that side of his business...he has a lot of land and rentals...
ive leased this for 15 yrs at least...cleaned it up better than I should have since it isn't mine... never asked or received anything from the owner.
now because the renter called and complained about his entitlement I have to come up with a million dollar insurance policy and name them as the insured..
I have 500k but that's not enough.
I only have 20 cows and a bull....broke even this yr..more expenses wont keep me in biz.
all because of a guy who wasn't supposed to be in the pasture I pay for doing something he had no right to do and then complaining because I didn't like it...
talking to this guy over the fence like a man apparently has no weight anymore with anyone so know im wondering how much longer ill be in the cows biz..if I lose this lease im done.
but its gonna be dam hard to keep any cows on that land once I call the DEP and start taking down all the fence ive built

if I get out..im done..i wont do cows if I have to drive to em...that easy to just say f it where yer at? must be independently wealthy...

dieselbeef":7w3z7641 said:
so I lease about 40 ac attached to the pasture at my house. In one corner of the pasture I lease is a rental property house that the landlord also leases..
the guy that lives in it has somehow decided his kids are entitled to use it. throwing rocks at my cows..hitting golfballs into it....dog running wild..his wife taking walks out into it at dusk to do who knows whatever....hung a tire swing up in one of the trees. ''kids need somewhere to play dude comon''....like cows don't need another way to die....
so I asked him to remove it and didn't even say anything about the other stuff..cuz hes an ok guy and I didn't really care. took 3 days til he did it.
he tells me landlord said he could use the pasture since I wasn't paying anything for it..i told him that's bs..I do pay for it..and insure it...and my lease agreement says it is mine to use as I see fit..
so I go see the landlord and apparently his daughter runs that side of his business...he has a lot of land and rentals...
ive leased this for 15 yrs at least...cleaned it up better than I should have since it isn't mine... never asked or received anything from the owner.
now because the renter called and complained about his entitlement I have to come up with a million dollar insurance policy and name them as the insured..
I only have 20 cows and a bull....broke even this yr..more expenses wont keep me in biz.
all because of a guy who wasn't supposed to be in the pasture I pay for doing something he had no right to do and then complaining because I didn't like it...
talking to this guy over the fence like a man apparently has no weight anymore with anyone so know im wondering how much longer ill be in the cows biz..if I lose this lease im done.
but its gonna be dam hard to keep any cows on that land once I call the DEP and start taking down all the fence ive built

all of this could have been avoided with a contract for lease. If a person uses a piece of property with only a handshake they should be prepared to vacate any time. I have a similar deal this year. Ive tried several time to get him to let us put it on paper > he Is old and thinks a handshake is still a contract. I cant argue that point but He's 84 and I will basically use it until I cant and will not invest more than I am willing to loose. and will have to be prepared to pull out at any time. The only reason I do it is because I feel I should be able to get a contract on it once he is gone . I know his son very well and is as honest as they come.

A $million liability insurance is standard for leased property around here. Check the Farm Bureau out for insurance, they put some kind of rider policy on my place that covers us wherever we cut hay. It was very reasonable like in really cheap.
I'll take a few of those Beefmaster cows off your hands if need be.

M-5":3bb3co8u said:
dieselbeef":3bb3co8u said:

all of this could have been avoided with a contract for lease. If a person uses a piece of property with only a handshake they should be prepared to vacate any time. I have a similar deal this year. Ive tried several time to get him to let us put it on paper > he Is old and thinks a handshake is still a contract. I cant argue that point but He's 84 and I will basically use it until I cant and will not invest more than I am willing to loose. and will have to be prepared to pull out at any time. The only reason I do it is because I feel I should be able to get a contract on it once he is gone . I know his son very well and is as honest as they come.
A hand shake is better than a contract for a leasee. You have to be a fool as a landowner to sign a binding contract of your property with a lessor.

oh you guys are hilarious....I just retagged em cuz I didn't wann throw away all the tags...pphhhffftttt.....

I do have a written lease..yr to yr open ended

I do have farm bureau they're working on it....and ill let ya know..they're all heavy bred too..make ya a great deal on about 15 of em..yer choice

was all good on the handshake with the owner..its his daughter screwin up my deal..me and the owner are on the same page..handle it like a man..shes f'n it up

would he be willing to sell you the place, maybe even just the land and him keep the rental?

You're right that your problem is her. She doesn't see the value of your rental in the same way she sees the value of the rental house.

^^^^^this....

wont sell me any of it either..tried that a few weeks ago before this happened

farm bureau just called..million dollar umbrella aint as bad as I figured...true grit nailed it

still tho..another expense I didn't have a week ago..that dude is gonna get told..yer trespassing from here on out

You found out already but I was going to say, doubling your coverage doesn't mean your premium does the same. Found that out years ago with business liability being requested to triple for the contract we had won bid for. Was shaking in my boots, then heard back from agent that increase in premium was nothing like I had expected. Prob best for just about anyone or thing to jump their coverage to cover their azz, especially with entitled yaks like your neighbor that are reproducing faster than any of us .....

How much time do you have left on your current lease? Is it year to year?

I agree that upping the amount may not be that costly. Check on that first.

I would also call their bluff on upping the insurance. I would tell them that they gave permission to the tenants of the house to access the pasture so that is their liability. Send letter to the daughter and tenants stating the hazards and include a statement of "unknown hazards". State clearly that as the lessee you have not, and will not ever, give access to the tenants of the rental house access to the pasture. State that any access given was from the lessor. I might even go as far as to put a fairly large sign right out the back door of the house where they enter the pasture complete with solar lights and all.

IMO you have nothing to lose by calling their bluff. If they back down you win... if they kick you off... it was probably for the best any ways.

i have had that conversation verbally with all of them. soon as I get this settled I will be posting no trespassing signs on their side of the fence I maintain...

the umbrella policy works out for me as well altho it was an added expense. it considerably raises coverage for almost any liability I have anywhere even my vehicles

Liability insurance is cost I don't complain about. The world is filled with idiots. I have to lease a good bit of ground. This winter some idiot cut ruts through cover crop duck hunting. Wish I owned enough

dieselbeef":e6kqmlrv said:
i have had that conversation verbally with all of them. soon as I get this settled I will be posting no trespassing signs on their side of the fence I maintain...

the umbrella policy works out for me as well altho it was an added expense. it considerably raises coverage for almost any liability I have anywhere even my vehicles

A no trespassing sign will do you no good. A grass lease does not give you the right to say who comes on the property unless specified in the lease.

I wouldn't have brought this to the owner myself. Though you may feel you can strong arm the landowner I suspect the rent on the house far exceeds what they get on the pasture and so like the owner said in the scope of things -"you don't pay nothing" so you will surely lose this battle because money talks. Getting along with your neighbors is the best strategy in my view. They could be turned into an asset if handled properly. However, if you start a pizzing match with the neighbors then they could demand their rent be reduced because of the fly problem or the danger the attractive nuisance the cattle pose to their children or some other BS like that. :2cents:

owner didn't say I pay nothing..the douche renter did cuz he don't know nothing bout my deal. I have got along with him til now..now he is costing me money and grief so pizz on him..now instead of me overlooking crap and mentioning things to the renter ill just be a my side yer side of the fence ahole and take everything to the owners daughter....cuz I didn't need a million dollar policy or have to totally redo my homeowners and cars under the umbrella. everything was fine til he thought he was entitled to put a tire swing up in my pasture and whined to the owners daughter about me telling them to take it down...puzzy move....men don't do that

Latest posts