More solar farm

Help Support CattleToday:

I was approached about putting a solar farm on my place in Leon county.
I have lots of questions.
After I pay taxes on it every year how much will I really make. ( I can figure that part out)
Will I lose my ag exemption?
Will it devalue the ready of my property?
They want 50 acres.
The lady I talked to said her bosses were from NY and the way she talked, not very nice. Why would she tell me that?
Carpet baggers?

The Ag exemption in our county is really starting to get under my skin. We used to be a primarily Ag county. Most farmed, ran cattle, or both. With the influx of out of towners buying up property for recreation or moving here and raising two cows and a donkey the ag exemptions are out of hand now. If place your property in a lease for solar panels it should not be ag exempt. The same with any type of recreational property deemed a tree farm. We've got all these folks running up and down our roads paying nearly zero tax dollars and spending very little if any money in the county. My neighbor flies into his hunting ranch on a dang helicopter. I bet his 1,500 acres is ag exempt.

The Ag exemption in our county is really starting to get under my skin. We used to be a primarily Ag county. Most farmed, ran cattle, or both. With the influx of out of towners buying up property for recreation or moving here and raising two cows and a donkey the ag exemptions are out of hand now. If place your property in a lease for solar panels it should not be ag exempt. The same with any type of recreational property deemed a tree farm. We've got all these folks running up and down our roads paying nearly zero tax dollars and spending very little if any money in the county. My neighbor flies into his hunting ranch on a dang helicopter. I bet his 1,500 acres is ag exempt.
We run a lot of cows and make lots of hay,
I do enjoy it most of the time, but it's not a hobby.
I agree solar farms should not be exempted from taxes, they get enough tax payers subsidies the way it is.

We run a lot of cows and make lots of hay,
I do enjoy it most of the time, but it's not a hobby.
I agree solar farms should not be exempted from taxes, they get enough tax payers subsidies the way it is.
The ranch isn't my primary income but it's definitely not a hobby and has to make money to stay afloat. These people from out of town are running land prices through roof, making it hard to schedule contractors, don't understand how to drive on county roads, and wreak havoc during hunting season. I get along with them but wish they'd all leave. Enough complaining and hijacking CG8s thread. 😆

Exactly... the writing is on the wall as far as needing alternative sources .. And yes they are taking some productive land, but if they'd quit planting corn for fuel, there'd be more land for food. A lot of farmers out here went with the fuel corn... And there are plans on running sheep on this place.. Not sure what that will do to the meat industry.. I've only had sheep once while i was in england and it was roasted and tasted just like beef to me. I've never seen it for sale here, but, it might make libs happy that they dont fart as much as a cow..lol...
Sheep are not as trouble free as people think. A lot of manegement in keeping sheep healthy. specially in east Texas.

The ranch isn't my primary income but it's definitely not a hobby and has to make money to stay afloat. These people from out of town are running land prices through roof, making it hard to schedule contractors, don't understand how to drive on county roads, and wreak havoc during hunting season. I get along with them but wish they'd all leave. Enough complaining and hijacking CG8s thread. 😆
Registered the old farm truck last week. Was asked for my farm and timber exemption number first for that.

A guy down the road on 410 just put in a 400,000 dollar trailer house. Its a triple wide. He'll have solar panels across the road from him, but, i bet no one told him. He paid 25,000 for his 5 acre plot. The other 5 plots have a variety of crap on them. From campers to a used doublewide.
The solar farm pays the taxes on the land while they have it.
Although we dont like the weekenders coming in, they dont like to maintain their places so we get side jobs of shredding their places.. Its a nice income. The people with bigger places, we bale and keep the hay for pay. Some of them are really nice places too, no need for improvements. Solar farm is holding on the sheep. Invenergy's panels are very high and could almost graze cattle under them. They'd have to add water to most of the fenced in sections.
I'm just glad that in the 90s when land was 300 and under an acre, we bought a good buffer around us.

Solar farms are so UGLY I would move away.

Put 'em out in the desert flatlands were there is a creosote bush every 10 feet, not productive farmland.
When people from the city are buying up land, chopping it up and selling it to people who just pile junk on it, i'd rather see a solar farm.. Quietest neighbors you'll ever have... Luckily though, the land we put in it you cant see from our house. We're insulated from it...

Not sure about solar panels but I am aware there are counties in some states that (so far) have not allowed construction
of wind turbines.

I do myself not want to see ugliness in the middle of beautiful and food productive counrty. It is important enough to move far away. Heck. We moved away from the creeping Austin idiots and Californians in central Texas. They are not living in mobile homes, they are building McMansions.
And solar farms are much worse.

It is what is and you gotta change with the times I guess. If I lived in a cess pool like DFW, Houston, Seattle, LA, or any big city I'd want a get away too. Heck I can work cows all day and eat lunch without washing my hands but feel like I need a shower just driving through Dallas. The green energy is a hoax created for city people who don't know any better. The worlds a growing place and I guess the people in the country need to pay the price for progress.

I wonder why they dont just cover the thousands of acres of parking lots and median strips between highways in this country with panels. The electric would be closer to those using it, less environmental impact and not taking up additional productive land. Same goes for the roofs of all these stores and manufacturing facilities.

I wonder why they dont just cover the thousands of acres of parking lots and median strips between highways in this country with panels. The electric would be closer to those using it, less environmental impact and not taking up additional productive land. Same goes for the roofs of all these stores and manufacturing facilities.
Because people who own parking lots are a lot harder to do business with than people in agriculture.

Because people who own parking lots are a lot harder to do business with than people in agriculture.
I know someone who works for an electric utility, and this is pretty much it. Thousands of acres of nice, flat farm ground with a handful of landlords is much easier to work with than trying to deal with every parking lot and warehouse owner in a city. Even if they didn't have to pay anything to the city property owners, the difference in installation and maintenance cost more than make up for it.

I know someone who works for an electric utility, and this is pretty much it. Thousands of acres of nice, flat farm ground with a handful of landlords is much easier to work with than trying to deal with every parking lot and warehouse owner in a city. Even if they didn't have to pay anything to the city property
Solar is too marginal right now even with high O&G. They need cheap land and operating costs. The difference between replacing panels on the roof of a 2 story house vs them being on the ground in the yard can kill any hopes savings.

I found some of the them dont know much about much, just go do what they are told. SO you were wanting to lease to the solar farm?
Yes, that is correct. I retain the land and "they" install the panels and do maintenance. Long term lease (20 plus years) with ability to negotiate new terms every year. They claim to be paying $4000/acre/year. I could use $160,000/year for doing nothing. 12.8 KV line across property. I didn't get far enough to really check out the details. Sounded too good to be true.

What I wish they'd do. Whoever they are. Is shut down all the power plants, tear down the ugly power lines and poles and let everyone figure out for themselves how to power their whizbangs. I have no doubt a good many of our experts would be culled the first day running their generators in the house.

Latest posts