More solar farm

Help Support CattleToday:

We'll take the

We'll take the solar farm with a side order of oil well.... lol.... There is a place on our land i just know there is oil. They've tested here before in several places, but not in the place i know they'll hit oil..... i can feel it.. its there
Funny you say that about the oil. Some of our family has a ranch in Karnes city, Tx. They always seemed to do ok with it but seemed to just get by. My Grandmother always told them they'd hit oil there, said she just new it. Well several years ago the whole county blew up with oil. They're very well off now.

Solar produced right at 10,000 megawatts in Texas today. The problem is it only produces from around 7am until 7pm. The goal is combine Solar and battery storage to produce power around the clock. They aren't there yet but it will happen.

Peak ERCOT load was right at 75,000 MWs today. Wind and solar made up about 20,000 of those MWs. At midnight wind was making 20,000 mw on it's own but fell off to 8,000mw by 7am and picked back up to 10,000 mw around noon. Renewables have their place but we still would have been 55 ,000 MWs short today. I have seen renewables produce a little over half the power used in Tx during the spring months though. They are definitely coming along.
It may happen, but the technology will definitely have to change for energy storage viable and especially safe. An accident in a 10,000 MWH battery could be like setting off a tactical nuke.

So, we're glad we decided to drive around and see what was going on. Solar workers hard at work replacing a fence they took down by mistake. They had gotten one wire up... Just to point out, this is their corner brace..... THEIR CORNER BRACE.... I got this picture as they were removing it..lol.. If it hadnt been so ridiculous we would have been screaming. I'm so glad we caught them while working and didnt drive out here and see their finished work. Our society is doomed... doomed

1657049967647.png

Tough to see...but a t-post as a corner brace? Am I seeing that right?
Yes!.. actually 2, they rounded off the corner...lol... When we told them that wouldnt do, they said they thought about using the tree there. We pointed out that the tree was not on our property. This is a fence they took out by accident. They had a bulldozer on the way to clear those trees. Our place is the open pasture, the trees belong to a azzhat who at one point in time said he was taking us to court because he believed he owned into the open part of the area there when we built the new fence. Forget he got a new fence free. Fence ended up us giving up an inch of land, so we didnt go to court. That guy is not someone you'd want to deal with. I went over there to see what all was going on and saw they had taken this fence down. I called my husband who then called the head person. They did not lease or buy that land so i saved them a LOT of trouble. Now, we just need our fence back.

Good advice.
So, we did offer. They have a contractor who does the fence work who is local. Not sure why they had their dirt guys try to do the fences. The contractor is very nervous he'll lose his contract. My husband mentioned he talked with one of the head guys and he ask for us to only talk to him. So, we will get a good fence now. Although this guy built one fence and only put the H braces in a foot.. and i think they dumped the concrete on top of the dirt. His son was in charge of that job.. Its so funny, sad and irritating, but funny they put in two rebar pieces and ratcheted the H brace down because it was being pulled out. This was the replacement for a range wire fence they took out mistakenly. Replaced it with a 4 strand fence where the braces were put in a foot... So this will all be torn out... I have a picture.. having trouble loading it, will try again....

If this werent so sad, it would be funny. What is scary is, good help is getting hard to find, obviously.
292170919_793426155162264_2049259975327435482_n.jpg

This section is on tictock. A friend of our sons videoed it and apparently has had a lot of watches... It is pretty amazing. Next Tues. they will take these out, put a 6 strand fence in with 2 twisty things between post, since it was a range fence. Not only did they screw up the H sections, they didnt measure between them so one was like 17 ft and the other was 29 for gates... Who the fork does that????? like i said, if it werent so sad, it'd be funny...

Last edited:
Construction type crews do it all the time. When I was in O&G my crews only did emergency, patch work or temp fences. I always brought farm and ranch fence crews in for the final product.

The problem with construction crews, especially with utilities, is they have a contract and then they are gone. They will pack up and be in another state tomorrow.

They also know with big contracts there will be a long list of disputable items. The contractor with have add ons and the company will have deductions. One fence won't matter either way.

Funny you say that about the oil. Some of our family has a ranch in Karnes city, Tx. They always seemed to do ok with it but seemed to just get by. My Grandmother always told them they'd hit oil there, said she just new it. Well several years ago the whole county blew up with oil. They're very well off now.
That Karnes City area has uranium too.

I did a radiation remediation job there in the 90s and the State said all we had to do was get the site cleaned up back to 'natural background' readings. It wasn't hard to do.
Cancer rates are pretty high in that area.

That Karnes City area has uranium too.

I did a radiation remediation job there in the 90s and the State said all we had to do was get the site cleaned up back to 'natural background' readings. It wasn't hard to do.
Cancer rates are pretty high in that area.
I have been around some of the big uranium pits in that area.

It's an odd place. There are very high geothermal temps close to surface in some areas. Then the next area you cant hardly have a basement because it will flood.

Construction type crews do it all the time. When I was in O&G my crews only did emergency, patch work or temp fences. I always brought farm and ranch fence crews in for the final product.

The problem with construction crews, especially with utilities, is they have a contract and then they are gone. They will pack up and be in another state tomorrow.

They also know with big contracts there will be a long list of disputable items. The contractor with have add ons and the company will have deductions. One fence won't matter either way.
This fence will get built. The fence contractor, he also does other work for the solar company and is local. He aint goin nowhere and there is another half of the solar farm he wants and wants no bad feedback to the top guys. The head guys really liked my husband and son. They've been very helpful and its one reason we got all the land to bale. They just brought out a backhoe to fix the cow trap pond. They did some work but could only do what they could with a dozer. It was better, but where they tied into the old pond, there is a drop off of like 20 ft. Its edge of dirt, then deep water, dangerous for anyone going near it, livestock or human. We really didnt expect any more work done on it, but today they were out and brought in a piece of equipment they had already shipped out. But back to the fence, it will get built, its in the contract and its damage they did that did not involve the building of the solar farm. They also left metal strapping all over the place. I've been picking it up and that i know will be on us. I can just go by it and hope it gets picked up or i can just pick it up. They said they'll have a crew go around, but, i wont hold my breath. If it comes down to it, we'll insist we get paid to make the fence. We're just very busy with baling hay, starting to get lots of calls from people wanting it which is exciting. When we went into this deal we were worried we'd get stuck with a ton of hay. We'll mainly be selling to locals who have no intent on reselling, and we'll sell at a good price to them. But if someone comes wanting to resell, or opted out early before we move it and we've moved it, they'll pay more. But its looking like we'll get 2 yrs of hay for us, our daughter stocked up and a lot to sell...

For the 30 years i've been checking cows on the now solar farm, i'd look up at the sky and it seemed different. I felt closer to the clouds and the sun felt hotter. I'd go home and say to my husband, "The sky at the 500 acres is different." I've said this for 30 years...lol... then, its turned into a solar farm. So i hope my feelings for where i just know there is oil is the same.. They did a test well about a half mile from this spot, so they suspected something there. And, this spot we own all the oil rights. So drill baby drill.......

For the 30 years i've been checking cows on the now solar farm, i'd look up at the sky and it seemed different. I felt closer to the clouds and the sun felt hotter. I'd go home and say to my husband, "The sky at the 500 acres is different." I've said this for 30 years...lol... then, its turned into a solar farm. So i hope my feelings for where i just know there is oil is the same.. They did a test well about a half mile from this spot, so they suspected something there. And, this spot we own all the oil rights. So drill baby drill.......
If they hit oil, gas, solar, wind or whatever on our place I'm not sure it would change my situation any. I'd just spend the money on a bigger spread with newer stuff and the same problems. I think I've got some kind of a mental disability sometimes. 🙃 I'm kidding of course......well partially.lol

A friend of mine was talking the other day and he said he couldn't understand why some folks will own a 1,000 acres free and clear and struugle getting by when they could sell it and live on the beach or golf course and just goof off everday. I told him the only thing dumber than that is someone workining day and night to get that same 1,000 acres paid for. Gotta love it I guess.

I'm all for continuing and strengthening the oil gas industry. I also believe in exploring new alternatives. The oil and gas industry is mature and profitable no doubt. It was propped up by taxpayers for a long time to get their. There was a time when the automobile was considered inefficient to the horse. It takes time to perfect new technology. One thing that solar and wind going for them is the potential to make power right there on their own. No pipelines or railcars delivering fuel to make fuel. This is one place where I believe my fellow conservatives make fools of themselves. If you don't think the Sun has energy...go do some work outside on a August day.
I wonder what kind of carbon footprint it makes to build a solar or wind farm before they produce a single watt of energy. And then how much to decommission one at the end of it's life. Just a thought.

I wonder what kind of carbon footprint it makes to build a solar or wind farm before they produce a single watt of energy. And then how much to decommission one at the end of it's life. Just a thought.
Don't know.
I wonder how much carbon footprint it takes to drill a week in the middle of the gulf and then ship , refine and ship again before it's available for consumption.... just a thought 🤔

One more thought...why in the he// or we worried about the carbon footprint????
Not worried, just wondering. I live in the west texas area and see hundreds of the wind turbine blades stacked in yards waiting to be disposed of and was thinking about having to truck these things hundreds of miles to put in a landfill or sink in the ocean.

Latest posts