More solar farm

Help Support CattleToday:

We're all idiots for not raising sheep....... .... .
Good friend of mine that's always run allot of cattle has gotten into the sheep deal. He's had a pretty rough start with trying to get good dogs and keeping the sheep alive. It seems like he's over the hump though. He's talking about running 1,000 head or so and says they need to be ready to ship in July I believe. Something about a Muslim holiday or holy day? We are a little far North for sheep but maybe it'll work for him.

With no rain, these solar workers are really moving on. They will have racks up soon on our place, after that the panels go up.. We saw some damaged solar panels piled up, considering seeing if we can scavenge unless they return to company.. I see their dumpsters and really want to climb in. 4x4s, wire, panels.... so much good stuff

Good friend of mine that's always run allot of cattle has gotten into the sheep deal. He's had a pretty rough start with trying to get good dogs and keeping the sheep alive. It seems like he's over the hump though. He's talking about running 1,000 head or so and says they need to be ready to ship in July I believe. Something about a Muslim holiday or holy day? We are a little far North for sheep but maybe it'll work for him.
Guy we know in WY runs sheep and cattle. He sold his lambs last week, and said "convert it to Animal units , one would need $1804 calf!" The old timers in WY used to say "we run sheep for profit and cows for pride."

Guy we know in WY runs sheep and cattle. He sold his lambs last week, and said "convert it to Animal units , one would need $1804 calf!" The old timers in WY used to say "we run sheep for profit and cows for pride."
I've had mutton once and that was in England.. I never see it in the store where i live. Who is eating all these sheep? BTW, i really like the mutton i had, tasted like roast beef. If i had been told it was beef, i would have believed it.

I've had mutton once and that was in England.. I never see it in the store where i live. Who is eating all these sheep? BTW, i really like the mutton i had, tasted like roast beef. If i had been told it was beef, i would have believed it.
You haven't been eating good beef if you can't tell the difference between mutton and beef, I must say, or else the person cooking it was a master chef.

My sister-in-law was Basque and she could cook mutton so it was pretty good. Lamb is what is sold in stores, and it's good. Lots of people eat lamb. My brother-in-law prefers it over beef, but he's the only one I know that does. Lamb in itself is good, but not like beef, IMO. You can buy lamb or even mutton here from the Basque people who still raise sheep. They know how to butcher mutton which has a lot to do with how good it is. If that wool touches the meat, it basically ruins it; or so I have been told.

Western KY uses a lot of mutton for their barbecue restaurants. A lot of the sheep and lamb goes to larger metropolitan areas for ethnic markets When we had sheep, we were advised to sell our lambs to coincide with a particular Muslim holiday.

You haven't been eating good beef if you can't tell the difference between mutton and beef, I must say, or else the person cooking it was a master chef.

My sister-in-law was Basque and she could cook mutton so it was pretty good. Lamb is what is sold in stores, and it's good. Lots of people eat lamb. My brother-in-law prefers it over beef, but he's the only one I know that does. Lamb in itself is good, but not like beef, IMO. You can buy lamb or even mutton here from the Basque people who still raise sheep. They know how to butcher mutton which has a lot to do with how good it is. If that wool touches the meat, it basically ruins it; or so I have been told.
It was in England, cooked by a dairy farmers wife.. She cooked it with lard, lots of it. lol.... I watched her cook it and thought, i've never bought lard until we had show chickens special mixed feed, i've never cooked with it. Anywhoot, her husband the next day made curry. I have yet to find anything over here to equal it. He made it from scratch. He asked me, "Can you handle heat?".... i was like, Um, i'm Texan.... SO, he made it full tilt.. It was the best stuff i've ever eaten and have yet to replicate or find something over here that comes close to it.. Was it hot?... It wasnt in my mouth, but my stomach was screaming, "What did you send down here!!!" All the other food i got there, in restaurants and the hotel, was basically tasteless.. bacon was horrible, sweet things werent sweet... and i liked my tea cold.. I was glad i went spent time with this family, i got a real taste of food there..

We went to a real mexican place a while back to try these taco things. Normally made with goat, i ordered mine 3 beef 3 goat.. Now, you surely can tell the difference between them...

It was in England, cooked by a dairy farmers wife.. She cooked it with lard, lots of it. lol.... I watched her cook it and thought, i've never bought lard until we had show chickens special mixed feed, i've never cooked with it. Anywhoot, her husband the next day made curry. I have yet to find anything over here to equal it. He made it from scratch. He asked me, "Can you handle heat?".... i was like, Um, i'm Texan.... SO, he made it full tilt.. It was the best stuff i've ever eaten and have yet to replicate or find something over here that comes close to it.. Was it hot?... It wasnt in my mouth, but my stomach was screaming, "What did you send down here!!!" All the other food i got there, in restaurants and the hotel, was basically tasteless.. bacon was horrible, sweet things werent sweet... and i liked my tea cold.. I was glad i went spent time with this family, i got a real taste of food there..
They use LOTS of garlic when cooking mutton or lamb. I had never heard of Lard used, but they cook lamb and mutton in England so I bet she knew exactly how to prepare the meat.

Last edited:
I've had some hamburger made with goat meat and it was real good.
Goat meat taste just like the smell of an old billy goat.. i use to like goat cheese, until i smelled a nasty old billy.. i dont care what you do to the meat, its gonna have that twang of a billy..

Mr. FH roped a billy goat once that was in with our cows and the cows were really stirred up.
There was no other way to get the goat out of the cows. His horse sure didn't want to run up on that ole goat, but he did...the goat got roped and brought to the house. Had to throw the rope away because it stunk so bad.

I've tried lamb a few times, and according to my wife and the other people at the table it was cooked very well. The same thing happened every time. The longer I chewed the bigger it got.

The smell of the male goat is pretty rank. In addition to their natural scent, I have seen them turn around and urinate on their own heads. My cousin was here one day and was petting one of my bucks. He said later he went home and mowed his yard, said he could smell that goat at every turn. Places that milk goats, keep the bucks separated from the does most of the time because the odor can permeate to the milk.
One a side note, my wife fusses about they way the bulls smell. It must be their urine that she notices, because every time we keep one up in the barn for any length of time she notices it.

From that first moment those salesmen walked into our house, the moment we understood what they were selling, to now. Amazing at how life can make a major U turn. One day our life it headed in one direction, then almost instantly in another (in a good way)..... Those guys dont know how much they changed our lives and that moment is seared into my head forever.. The progress the companies are making is remarkable. I remember early on getting excited seeing markers dotted around. Now there are major roads crisscrossing connection places we ride our bikes on daily to see all the progress. I'll admit though, i'll be glad when its all done to get back to nice and quietness... not liking all the traffic..

With no rain, these solar workers are really moving on. They will have racks up soon on our place, after that the panels go up.. We saw some damaged solar panels piled up, considering seeing if we can scavenge unless they return to company.. I see their dumpsters and really want to climb in. 4x4s, wire, panels.... so much good stuff
a solar panel with just 1 bad cell is going to have it's output diminished by like 60%.. just the shadow of a guy wire going across a panel can kill the output!
Look up EEVblog on youtube, he's an electrical engineer with a great channel and has his house on solar, and has a lot of good information

a solar panel with just 1 bad cell is going to have it's output diminished by like 60%.. just the shadow of a guy wire going across a panel can kill the output!
Look up EEVblog on youtube, he's an electrical engineer with a great channel and has his house on solar, and has a lot of good information
Sounds incredibly efficient no wonder they are spending all this money on it!🥺

My inlaws are buried in rosebud. yeah they are full blood czechs.Try greens meat market in Zabcikville. pretty good food. I used to buy all my blue jeans and dress shirts in Lott at the fair. Family owns lots of land but raise cotton on the black land.

From that first moment those salesmen walked into our house, the moment we understood what they were selling, to now. Amazing at how life can make a major U turn. One day our life it headed in one direction, then almost instantly in another (in a good way)..... Those guys dont know how much they changed our lives and that moment is seared into my head forever.. The progress the companies are making is remarkable. I remember early on getting excited seeing markers dotted around. Now there are major roads crisscrossing connection places we ride our bikes on daily to see all the progress. I'll admit though, i'll be glad when its all done to get back to nice and quietness... not liking all the traffic..
As much as hate these solar panels and really hope they stay on your side of 271, I am happy for y'all. Sounds like a life changer for you. I'm gonna try to make the long 10 mile trip over there next week, it's been several months since I did a drive by and I was in a hurry that day.

As much as hate these solar panels and really hope they stay on your side of 271, I am happy for y'all. Sounds like a life changer for you. I'm gonna try to make the long 10 mile trip over there next week, it's been several months since I did a drive by and I was in a hurry that day.
It will go to the chicken factory and towards Rugby... so it crosses 271... We can only hope they donate to local things, they promised giving to the fire department..

Latest posts