More solar farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Wife's Uncle is James Pelzel, lives 1 house over from the Catholic Church.
I really like that area. Have friends in the Rosebud/ Lott area. I was in Waco for a couple years right out of school.

I am thinking about eating Green's already just taking about it. Camalitos is about the only place to eat in Rosebud. I always tell them I didn't come all this way to eat Mexican food. 😆

Solar farm is back up and running. Samson 2, i think, is driving poles. I can hear it from my house. Not sure if they snagged some panels yet, but i can tell you the traffic has picked up. So, its only a matter of time it will be finished.

I contacted several solar farm companies offering a 40 acre tract for lease but only one of them returned my contact. They said my land wasn't suitable for a solar farm even with 68% sunny days. Then after the property was sold they called back and said they made a mistake and would like to lease the land. Too bad, you snooze, you lose.

I contacted several solar farm companies offering a 40 acre tract for lease but only one of them returned my contact. They said my land wasn't suitable for a solar farm even with 68% sunny days. Then after the property was sold they called back and said they made a mistake and would like to lease the land. Too bad, you snooze, you lose.
I seriously doubt the percentage of sunny days matter to a solar farm. If it did they'd build them in the desert on flat dry ground. Not a monster on bottom land in east Tx.

I found some of the them dont know much about much, just go do what they are told. SO you were wanting to lease to the solar farm?

That's the way I read it.
He had 40 acres he wanted to lease to the solar farm and when they did not reach an agreement he sold the land. The owners of the solar farm can now pursue it with the new owner, if they want it.
It was early before my coffee...lol... A lot of people were too difficult to work with, wanting more money the solar people just went to the next person.. But if he sold his land, i'm guessing he's not going to be around to have them built around him..

I think the biggest consideration is how close they are to major power lines to feed into.

Ken
Invenergy built their own lines. I think they got the land cheaper than they are use to paying, they could afford making their own lines. Some are close, but they put in lots of big power lines. We love watching them put them up, used a helicopter and a guy dangling from it.

There's several factors that come into play with transmission lines. Cost is a major factor as is current line congestion. The Farm cowgirl8 talks about most likely hooked into the old Johntown Gas plants lines, it's been shut down for years. From there they could utilize the lines from the Monticello coal plant that shut down a few years back.

There's several factors that come into play with transmission lines. Cost is a major factor as is current line congestion. The Farm cowgirl8 talks about most likely hooked into the old Johntown Gas plants lines, it's been shut down for years. From there they could utilize the lines from the Monticello coal plant that shut down a few years back.
Its the monticello lines they planned on using, but most of their lines are run along it. Johntown lines are old and tired and so far they arent using them. You can see the lines crossing 71 going south.

Our County fiscal court had passed a resolution supporting a 550-acre solar farm here - and were gearing up to issue a $220 million bond deal to help finance it... until they heard from surrounding landowners who had NOT been contacted by the firm - though the company's representatives told the magistrates that all adjoining landowners had been contacted and were on-board. They have now voted to rescind their proposal and support.

Our County fiscal court had passed a resolution supporting a 550-acre solar farm here - and were gearing up to issue a $220 million bond deal to help finance it... until they heard from surrounding landowners who had NOT been contacted by the firm - though the company's representatives told the magistrates that all adjoining landowners had been contacted and were on-board. They have now voted to rescind their proposal and support.
Be careful helping any company. My county helped a person get money for a recycling facility. They guaranteed the money and he took it and left. We the taxpayers had to pay for it

Be careful helping any company. My county helped a person get money for a recycling facility. They guaranteed the money and he took it and left. We the taxpayers had to pay for it
I saw the same thing happen in 2 different places I lived.
1. A parish in Louisiana I lived in gave up front cash and tax breaks to an outfit that was going to build a biofuels plant using sugar cane and rice mill byproducts. They built a little of it, did the dirt work and a little bit of concrete work, then skipped the state with most of the $$$$$.

2. Near New Caney in Montgomery County Texas, 2006, then again 2010-2012 a bunch was going to build this big $500 million "Dinosaur Amusement Park" called Earthquest Adventures just North of Houston right off US 59.. Needed $$ and the county passed a bond issue to help. It never materialized and the company filed bankruptcy a few years later. The county lost millions.

(Probably a good thing. US 59 at New Caney was under 10' of water in Hurricane Harvey in 2017.)

A new company that moved in here could be doing the same thing. Got the money from the city/county and haven't done much. People are getting concerned.

I don't get how or why citys give these companies cash. I can see tax breaks or utilities but not cash. Our last city manager had salary of well over 100k and a 2 yr contract. After the first yr they weren't happy with him so got rid of him but had to pay the full contract. I guess it doesn't matter as much when it's not your money and if you run out you just raise taxes and get more.

I don't get how or why citys give these companies cash. I can see tax breaks or utilities but not cash. Our last city manager had salary of well over 100k and a 2 yr contract. After the first yr they weren't happy with him so got rid of him but had to pay the full contract. I guess it doesn't matter as much when it's not your money and if you run out you just raise taxes and get more.
The city managers are in a tough spot. They can (and should) get fired when they pay out to companies that end up ripping the city off. On they other hand, they can't keep their jobs if they are constantly being outbid by other cities that are willing to put cash on the table.

I wonder what this Solar Farms line voltage is and were the closest sub station is?

The city managers are in a tough spot. They can (and should) get fired when they pay out to companies that end up ripping the city off. On they other hand, they can't keep their jobs if they are constantly being outbid by other cities that are willing to put cash on the table.
I wonder if they ever look behind a city manager before he is hired? School principles and superintendents seem to get the same deals. I know in big business they call it the golden parachute.

I wonder what this Solar Farms line voltage is and were the closest sub station is?
They've made 3 sub stations. One is in Cunningham south of 196... Another is off 410 in Halesboro. The third is being built and its off 410 in Rugby. That one is for Delilah 2 and is waiting for the supply chain to get going again. I was wrong about hearing them ramming rods, it was tracks on a bulldozer off that way. Probably someone building a pond... a lot of that is going on around here.

Latest posts