More solar farm

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Hobby rancher
Reaction score
Yes..... 1,310 unreliable megawatts on 20,000 acres at a cost of $1.6 Billion and 7-10 employees to run it. The same size modern gas plant would cost $1 billion and take up about 75 acres. The Gas plant would take 20-24 employees and could go from zero to 1,300 megawatts in about an hour. Progress at it’s best....Exciting times.
You leave out transport and mining cost again lucky. A gas plant doesn't run without lots of support.
Most of Texas energy needs is when?? When the sun stops working energy will be the least of our worries.
And I cannot understand the concern with how many acres are being used. How does that even figure in.

RDFF

Reaction score
Well, I don't know how you figure value of land in Texas, but from all the complaining that I've seen on CT about the suburbs moving into rural America, pretty much EVERYWHERE, I'm wondering where we will be producing our food in a few years, if we keep covering it all up with houses and lawns and solar panels. I guess I'd rank food production as a pretty high value...

Up here in the Northern Corn Belt of southern Minnesota, we're sitting on some of the most fertile and productive "dry land" arable soils of anywhere in the world... and they're covering it up with panels and subdivisions here too. Certainly we can figure out a way to be more "efficient" than this...

callmefence

Hobby rancher
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how you figure value of land in Texas, but from all the complaining that I've seen on CT about the suburbs moving into rural America, pretty much EVERYWHERE, I'm wondering where we will be producing our food in a few years, if we keep covering it all up with houses and lawns and solar panels. I guess I'd rank food production as a pretty high value...

Up here in the Northern Corn Belt of southern Minnesota, we're sitting on some of the most fertile and productive "dry land" arable soils of anywhere in the world... and they're covering it up with panels and subdivisions here too. Certainly we can figure out a way to be more "efficient" than this...
We?? Agriculture is private business.
Land is (or should be) private. The owner free to use it as they please.
There is no WE to it. If someone wants to farm or ranch their land fine.
If they don't fine.
Doesn't less farms and ranches equate to less competition.? Less competition is always a good thing to a business. Seems not many in farming realize that.

Lucky

Reaction score

Agricultural is the main industry here in RRC, Tx and the land is being taken up at a rapid rate. I honestly never thought I’d see it happen but I guess things change. We have 3 factories here and one of them is a huge egg business that needs farm land for it’s feed. The other 2 are fairly small and could close up at anytime. People are coming in and buying up the land for recreational purposes at an alarming rate. I get along easy enough with them but they definitely have a different way of thinking. Most are very nice folks just trying to get out of the ever expanding DFW metroplex.

OP
cowgirl8

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Our land is crap, just marginal for livestock.. Stays wet most of the year.
Here the past week they've been running something that sounds like air boats. They are loud and couldnt be closer than 5 miles, but, sounds like they are just out in front of our house on the road.... Might have to investigate as to what they are.... lol... they'll need air boats this week on anything....

Lucky

Reaction score
Definitely a strange project to be the biggest in the nation. Everyone I’ve known that works there quits really quick and the ones that stay don’t seem to know much about it. I’m guessing all the yellow trucks are the main workers and they are from out of town. I know allot of times Construction guys just do as they’re told and don’t care about the bigger picture but you’d think we’d here something.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
How much land is dedicated to producing and delivering the natural gas. ???

Also help me understand why anyone would care about what land that doesn't belong to you is being used for.?? Seems to be a very entitled way of thinking...
It would still not even be close. True NG wells and the infrastructure to transport it take up very little land, usually dont interfere with much, and require minimal maintenance to operate.

NG is still one of the most efficient, environmentally friendly sources of energy we have. It just got a bad wrap because it got lumped in with oil. Chesapeake had the right idea trying to branch off. If more people would have got on board with that and they had ran a better PR game these "renewables" wouldn't have had a chance. Oil was just too big and thought it couldn't be unseated.

Now with the govt involved they will pick the winners and losers.

I go to the Rosebud, Lott, Westphalia, etc area pretty often. Had some friends that were contacted about the solars. It's a nice place. I like the area between Rosebud and Cameron along the river. From what I heard you cant hardly touch it. The money has moved in and is buying most of it up. Greens is an hidden treasure IMO. 😄