More solar farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes..... 1,310 unreliable megawatts on 20,000 acres at a cost of $1.6 Billion and 7-10 employees to run it. The same size modern gas plant would cost $1 billion and take up about 75 acres. The Gas plant would take 20-24 employees and could go from zero to 1,300 megawatts in about an hour. Progress at it's best....Exciting times.
You leave out transport and mining cost again lucky. A gas plant doesn't run without lots of support.
Most of Texas energy needs is when?? When the sun stops working energy will be the least of our worries.
And I cannot understand the concern with how many acres are being used. How does that even figure in.

Well, I don't know how you figure value of land in Texas, but from all the complaining that I've seen on CT about the suburbs moving into rural America, pretty much EVERYWHERE, I'm wondering where we will be producing our food in a few years, if we keep covering it all up with houses and lawns and solar panels. I guess I'd rank food production as a pretty high value...

Up here in the Northern Corn Belt of southern Minnesota, we're sitting on some of the most fertile and productive "dry land" arable soils of anywhere in the world... and they're covering it up with panels and subdivisions here too. Certainly we can figure out a way to be more "efficient" than this...

Well, I don't know how you figure value of land in Texas, but from all the complaining that I've seen on CT about the suburbs moving into rural America, pretty much EVERYWHERE, I'm wondering where we will be producing our food in a few years, if we keep covering it all up with houses and lawns and solar panels. I guess I'd rank food production as a pretty high value...

Up here in the Northern Corn Belt of southern Minnesota, we're sitting on some of the most fertile and productive "dry land" arable soils of anywhere in the world... and they're covering it up with panels and subdivisions here too. Certainly we can figure out a way to be more "efficient" than this...
We?? Agriculture is private business.
Land is (or should be) private. The owner free to use it as they please.
There is no WE to it. If someone wants to farm or ranch their land fine.
If they don't fine.
Doesn't less farms and ranches equate to less competition.? Less competition is always a good thing to a business. Seems not many in farming realize that.

Agricultural is the main industry here in RRC, Tx and the land is being taken up at a rapid rate. I honestly never thought I'd see it happen but I guess things change. We have 3 factories here and one of them is a huge egg business that needs farm land for it's feed. The other 2 are fairly small and could close up at anytime. People are coming in and buying up the land for recreational purposes at an alarming rate. I get along easy enough with them but they definitely have a different way of thinking. Most are very nice folks just trying to get out of the ever expanding DFW metroplex.

Our land is crap, just marginal for livestock.. Stays wet most of the year.
Here the past week they've been running something that sounds like air boats. They are loud and couldnt be closer than 5 miles, but, sounds like they are just out in front of our house on the road.... Might have to investigate as to what they are.... lol... they'll need air boats this week on anything....

Definitely a strange project to be the biggest in the nation. Everyone I've known that works there quits really quick and the ones that stay don't seem to know much about it. I'm guessing all the yellow trucks are the main workers and they are from out of town. I know allot of times Construction guys just do as they're told and don't care about the bigger picture but you'd think we'd here something.

How much land is dedicated to producing and delivering the natural gas. ???

Also help me understand why anyone would care about what land that doesn't belong to you is being used for.?? Seems to be a very entitled way of thinking...
It would still not even be close. True NG wells and the infrastructure to transport it take up very little land, usually dont interfere with much, and require minimal maintenance to operate.

NG is still one of the most efficient, environmentally friendly sources of energy we have. It just got a bad wrap because it got lumped in with oil. Chesapeake had the right idea trying to branch off. If more people would have got on board with that and they had ran a better PR game these "renewables" wouldn't have had a chance. Oil was just too big and thought it couldn't be unseated.

Now with the govt involved they will pick the winners and losers.

I go to the Rosebud, Lott, Westphalia, etc area pretty often. Had some friends that were contacted about the solars. It's a nice place. I like the area between Rosebud and Cameron along the river. From what I heard you cant hardly touch it. The money has moved in and is buying most of it up. Greens is an hidden treasure IMO. 😄

Things are progressing. We love going out there every evening to see what was done that day. Finally drying out, they've hated the mud, but, they'll hate the dust and concrete hard soil. Picture is of the old entry i use to go in twice a day where there was nothing..

We are now riding our E bikes all over the place after hours. When we use to have only farm to market roads and really bad gravel roads, we now have luxurious wide roads they keep watered.. On sunday we ride 30 miles all over the place.. We love seeing the progress.

We are now riding our E bikes all over the place after hours. When we use to have only farm to market roads and really bad gravel roads, we now have luxurious wide roads they keep watered.. On sunday we ride 30 miles all over the place.. We love seeing the progress.
I wonder if it will be in the solar companies contract to keep the roads up. When Atmos replaced 40 miles of pipeline a few years back they kept our roads perfect like you are describing for about a year, it was very nice. As soon as they left the county came by with a 50 yo maintainer and Fd them all up again. One of them on my West side is impassable in a pickup now. The road on my North side is terrible as well. I hope the Solar farm keeps maintains them for y'all.

Definitely a strange project to be the biggest in the nation. Everyone I've known that works there quits really quick and the ones that stay don't seem to know much about it. I'm guessing all the yellow trucks are the main workers and they are from out of town. I know allot of times Construction guys just do as they're told and don't care about the bigger picture but you'd think we'd here something.
I had a solar company as a client for 6 months while they were building 1100 acre solar farm. When I asked the office lady where all this energy was headed she say she had no idea they just build them 🤷🏻‍♂️

Things are progressing. We love going out there every evening to see what was done that day. Finally drying out, they've hated the mud, but, they'll hate the dust and concrete hard soil. Picture is of the old entry i use to go in twice a day where there was nothing..
Wow. -how any acres did you contract? I realize you can't say how much they pay you but is it a month or yearly installment? Can you point me in the direction of where I can get more info on leasing ( reputable websites or companies to call) Not sure what to believe on internet these days so thought I'd ask please.
PM me if prefer.

Also anyone out there have an idea or *rumor* as to how much these companies pay per acre?
I've heard people say they got anywhere from $160-500 an acre so who knows what the average really is, I wouldn't tell anyone either 😆. Problem is unlike wind turbines you can't use the land for anything once the panels are up. The way land prices are going up around here I would hope the lease price is closer to $350-400 a year or more.

I've heard people say they got anywhere from $160-500 an acre so who knows what the average really is, I wouldn't tell anyone either 😆. Problem is unlike wind turbines you can't use the land for anything once the panels are up. The way land prices are going up around here I would hope the lease price is closer to $350-400 a year or more.
Actually you can graze slot of recent Solar ground. Usually done with sheep. Although there's been improvements made to allow cattle grazing. Elevated panels still allow 2/3of sunlight to reach the ground. In dry hot shallow soil areas that can actually improve the grass.
We're preparing to bid the farm at Hamilton. I'm hearing they plan to graze sheep. That's just cafe talk .... could be wrong.

Actually you can graze slot of recent Solar ground. Usually done with sheep. Although there's been improvements made to allow cattle grazing. Elevated panels still allow 2/3of sunlight to reach the ground. In dry hot shallow soil areas that can actually improve the grass.
We're preparing to bid the farm at Hamilton. I'm hearing they plan to graze sheep. That's just cafe talk .... could be wrong.
Yes you are correct about the sheep, I never think sheep…lol. From what I understand 90% of this Solar farms budget is vegetation management.

Good luck on the solar project bid. I imagine that would be a nice one to get.

Yes you are correct about the sheep, I never think sheep…lol. From what I understand 90% of this Solar farms budget is vegetation management.

Good luck on the solar project bid. I imagine that would be a nice one to get.
90 percent of maintenance budjet sounds very plausible. With very few "moving parts" and very small staff there is not much else to maintain.

Recently our county government passed an ordinance against more solar farms here. A local electric utility company has one by the interstate. Some farm folks were approached by some solar companies about putting them on their land but it got a lot of pushback from the community. Mainly from folks that had recently bought housing lots on subdivided farmland.

Latest posts