more questions -mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

brownmule

Reaction score
ok now that i have about over loaded my brain on balers.. what about mowers whats the diff between disc and drum mowers? i understand the concept of sickles bars. as far as disc and drum. what is the best for working w/ out major probs. do thay hook up to 3 point hitch and wet lines and PTO ?
sorry for the dumb questions but i need to get my ducks in a row before i go looking.. Thanks rose

yes most hook up to the 3point, some are set up on a cart to be pulled and they are ran off of your pto

I have never used a drum mower so I cannot tell you how they work exactly ,but a disc mower has several small hubs with small blades attached that turn at a high rate of speed and they cut fast and cleanand they come in different sizes from about 5ft cut to over 10 ft and which one you need depends on what size tractor and how hilly the land is.

they are about the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion

I would suggest buying a cart to mount the mowr on becaus it is alot sqafer and easier on your tractor

Hope this helps a little in getting them ducks straightened out :lol:

A drum mower works similar to a disc mower except there are 2 or more large hubs with multiple blades on them. They have fewer moving parts then a disc mower but they are heavy. The main drawback to them besides weight is that when you power them off, inertia keeps those large hubs (drums) spinning for a good while after a disc mower has stopped turning.

Angus Cowman":z9mrv2mu said:
yes most hook up to the 3point, some are set up on a cart to be pulled and they are ran off of your pto

I would suggest buying a cart to mount the mower on because it is alot sqafer and easier on your tractor
Pull-type mowers are not any safer than 3 point mounted disc and drum mowers. In fact the insurance statistics show that 3 point mounted mowers cutting off to the side are safer for the operator than pull-type mowers. This is because the tire blocks most of the direct path of objects from the cutting heads.
Carts do offer a easier and faster hookup and pull-type mowers are safe if the guards and curtains are in good condition. The key is don't use disc or drum mowers is a rock pile!

ironpeddler":39r5csod said:
Angus Cowman":39r5csod said:

I would suggest buying a cart to mount the mower on because it is alot sqafer and easier on your tractor
Pull-type mowers are not any safer than 3 point mounted disc and drum mowers. In fact the insurance statistics show that 3 point mounted mowers cutting off to the side are safer for the operator than pull-type mowers. This is because the tire blocks most of the direct path of objects from the cutting heads.
Carts do offer a easier and faster hookup and pull-type mowers are safe if the guards and curtains are in good condition. The key is don't use disc or drum mowers is a rock pile!
the safer point I was making is on hilly terrain with a 3-point mower raised up a tractor is more likely to tip over or lose traction than if the mower is on a cart
She mentioned she had a small hp tractor and 3-point mowers will place an uneven load on one side of the tractor making it more likely to tip over in hilly situations people with little experience are better off with a pull type mower or a 3 point mower mounted on a cart

There are two basic bar types on disc mowers. A wet bar has oil in it and a segmented bar is in individual sections. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, but I will leave that at they both need to be maintained. The oil type needs checked daily and the segmented usually only yearly. I am currently running a pair of Krone mowers as a smaller commercial producer. I think they would be too heavy and require too much hp for you though. I posted a link on the balers post for MF balers and will post another one here for the mowers. I am not specifically recommending MF(they are good though), but I do like they way they lay out the spec sheets. If you are looking for a used unit these same specs apply to the New Idea mowers. AGCO bought out New Idea and now sells these mowers as MF. That should help you get an idea what you can run with your tractor. Generally speaking I do not like to run my tractors with implements that push the hp or weight requiremments of the tractor too much. If you have rear wheel weights or filled rear tires it will help quite a bit with the stability also.
The link.

http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/MF/N ... e/1300.htm

Angus Cowman":3u7cb6j7 said:
ironpeddler":3u7cb6j7 said:
Angus Cowman":3u7cb6j7 said:

the safer point I was making is on hilly terrain with a 3-point mower raised up a tractor is more likely to tip over or lose traction than if the mower is on a cart
She mentioned she had a small hp tractor and 3-point mowers will place an uneven load on one side of the tractor making it more likely to tip over in hilly situations people with little experience are better off with a pull type mower or a 3 point mower mounted on a cart
A CCM drum mower does not lift with hydraulics, it turns around back for transport. The mower rests on the ground and will not add any extra weight to one side of the tractor. We have sold these drum mower since 1980 and have sold thousands of them. All of the ground in East TN is hillside ground. These drum mowers work great on small tractors.
135_DRUM_MOWER.JPG

Iron Peddler is right in his statement about the Drum Mowers not being transported in a folded up condition. It does fold backwards for transport so all the weight is behind the tractor not to the side FOR TRANSPORT only. When you're in the field and cutting you need to lift the mower off the ground from time to time and that operation puts side load on the tractor. In operation the mower is out to the side of the tractor and when it is lifted to clear rocks or stumps (or whatever) it puts a heck of a load on the tractor.

I still have an old PZ drum mower that I used on a Ford 3000 diesel. When it's folded behind the tractor for transport the front of the tractor get very light and when it's off to the side of the tractor in operation the left side of the tractor gets a little light. And my land is flat, no hills, so I can't or won't comment about that aspect of the safety issue. By the way, my PZ was only a five foot mower. It was a great cutter and I believe cuts Bohia attached to the 3000 much better than my 10 foot disc mower behind a 150 HP tractor.

I don't know the weights of the PZ compared to Iron Peddlers drum mower but the PZ was heavy. Also compared to a disc mower you will do ten times more blade changes on that drum mower than you will on the disc mower. Or at least that's the way it has worked out on my two units. The blades on the PZ were very easy to change - no nuts and bolts to take loose.

lavacarancher":1iy2b7zs said:
Iron Peddler is right in his statement about the Drum Mowers not being transported in a folded up condition. It does fold backwards for transport so all the weight is behind the tractor not to the side FOR TRANSPORT only.
Not all of them do. I don;t remember the one we had and dumped but it had only two positions, straight up or down to the side.

I would rather have a sickle mower over any of the disc or drum mowers any day. Low HP requirements queiter operation. longer lasting. New Holland still makes one, rowse, and I think AGCO. I really like the old 1300 ih. Pretty dependle and if you are pretty good mechinic then they can be brought to the new condition pretty inexpensivly. do not bring up ant mounds as I have them and do mow with the sickle.

x

Latest posts