More pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Finally we've been getting some decent harvest weather - although that could end tomorrow night/Saturday - forecasted to rain, but the possibility of snow is also being tossed around. Now that we are combining haven't had much chance to take many pictures or check cows all that well, but we do try to make a point to do a good check on each pasture at least every couple of weeks.

These are from last week:
IMG_1052sm_zpsxnsqexmr.jpg

Red Angus bull calf born April 5 - 90lb bw

IMG_1002sm_zpsc7rp4rhj.jpg

1st calf heifer that I think is going to turn into a heck of a good cow

IMG_1049sm_zpsxttjqqx6.jpg

neither are posing very good, but that's her bull calf in front of her. Born March 28 - 70lb bw

IMG_1031sm_zps27ikv7bl.jpg

Bred heifer

IMG_1060sm_zpszxemufo3.jpg

another bred heifer

IMG_1078sm_zps3tbq7c5q.jpg

3rd calf cow & her bull calf - born March 27 - 70lb bw

IMG_1085sm_zpsgcufcyk6.jpg

heifer calf born April 9 & bull calf born April 19 - 80lb bw

IMG_0990sm_zpsetv67pxz.jpg

yearling Red Angus bull

IMG_1106sm_zpsvqtdllh3.jpg

commercial black bred heifer

The next group of pictures is from two days ago. This pasture is hard to do a thorough check on the cows there as they are usually in at least 2 groups and between the hills & the bush it can be hard to find them. Spent a couple hours out there and I think I managed to see them all. 53 commercial pairs in this pasture.

IMG_1243sm_zpsnycvjmup.jpg

1st calf heifer - Gelbvieh x Simm

IMG_1251sm_zpsutgg1iqj.jpg

coming 10 yr old SimAngus cow & her heifer calf

IMG_1279sm_zpslfa9t8mb.jpg

black steer calf

IMG_1313sm_zpsh1dqaof8.jpg

his dam - 2nd calver

IMG_1282sm_zpsgsaxu4g6.jpg

her dam

IMG_1295sm_zps1asbtcle.jpg

her maternal half sister - how is that for a family tree?

IMG_1407sm_zpssb86dhaj.jpg

found the other half of the cows up and over a hill

IMG_1373sm_zpskcj9qpfb.jpg

nice heifer calf out of a very ugly little cow

IMG_1361sm_zpsmlonrpsj.jpg

yearling home raised Black Angus bull

IMG_1330sm_zpsdmj1pkab.jpg

limo x cow - bought as a bred cow this spring

IMG_1260sm_zpsi89bvyim.jpg

SimAngus cow (coming 10 yr old) with Gelbvieh sired heifer calf.

Thanks again for letting me share!

Once again you got some beauts in there

That heifer calf from the 10 year old SimAngus cow looks really stout! What is her sire?

Limo cow looks reeaaalllyyy long!

What I'm noticing is your cows all have really good toplines.. something I'm still working on

Thanks Nesi. If I ever get a bit more time I intend to post some pictures on your thread - front pasture cattle. You have some real nice ones in there as well!

That heifer calf is very thick - not very tall, but very wide and deep. She is on the keep list for this year. Her sire is a crossbred (*gasp*) bull that we use. His sire was Angus & his dam was just a commercial cow (mostly Angus with some Sim and possibly something else) He comes from a cousin of my husbands. His dam was a commercial show cow and did lots of winning. She was never treated special at all, when it came time for a show they would just go out to the pasture and collect her and dump her back in the pasture after the show was over. He is at least 7/8's Angus and we use him to hopefully create more cows like his dam - the jury is still out on whether that will work or not.

Personally I don't find him to be anything special - he's got a big clunky head and I find him to be heavier in the front end than the back. But he makes nice steer calves & the heifers are all big, deep bodied calves.

This is a picture from earlier this summer.
IMG_9299sm_zpsqvxrjhkz.jpg

His first daughters that we kept will calve this next spring. Have about 6 calves from this year picked out to keep as replacements.

I have to go through my 30 pages of photobucket pictures and dig up a similar looking heifer, she was 1/2 GV, 1/4 Saler, 1/4 Hereford and has turned into a good cow... udder isn't quite as nice as I'd like it to be, but she is the mother of the nicest steer calf we had this year (the 4H guy). The crossbred bull I kept last year and used on a few cows this year is her 3/4 brother (same sire and son of maternal sister)
Not the picture I was thinking of, but I can't find that one right now

Her with her paternal sister / maternal sister's daughter that turned in to a great cow too

The same two.. granddaughter stealing some milk

Momma (at 15 years old)

And here's the other daughter with granddaughter

Found the picture I was looking for of the heifer

Again closely related is the bull I sold to a friend (maternal sister to the heifer, mother is maternal sister to the old cow as well as the mother of 8T). He's turned out pretty nice

And at 3 years old.. not the greatest picture

Bull's mother

Bull's sire

People, stop posting such beautiful looking cattle pictures. I need to work!

Nesi, that last picture of the bull and the mountain needs to be on some calendars or something. That's a cool pic.

It was a great day for pictures (cow above was taken the same day). It was pretty darned cold, and they were all suntanning on the ridge.. Picture of the heifer calf may have been the same day too.

Good looking cattle. I enjoyed all those good pictures and beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Nice pictures Nesi - I can see some similarities between the two heifers, especially in the one picture. The bull on the ridge with the mountain back is a fantastic picture!

This is her dam:
IMG_0465sm_zps3rmnvhdy.jpg

Her bag isn't holding up as nice as it could (she probably has the worst bag on the farm actually). The last couple year the two rear quarters especially could be held up better, but so far it hasn't caused any problems. Not that she's ever had a bad calf, but she seems to have a better calf every year. Last year she had a monster heifer calf that we decided to keep (didn't weigh her but comparing to the ones we sold, she was probably close to 700 lbs) sired by our Gelbvieh bull.

IMG_9681sm_zpskypv2ude.jpg

this is not a great picture of her but it's the most recent I have. She's big boned, lots of leg and is going to be a BIG cow. She's not my type, but we shall see how she works out (some of her Gelbvieh half sisters I don't like the looks of either, but they have pretty good calves on them for their first try). I also think it won't hurt us to have some commercial cows with a bit more leg & frame - even though it's not what *I* prefer to look at, it's the calf that they raise that really counts.