More pictures from Uruguay (PIC ADDED)

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I really hope not to bore anyone with my pictures, the thing is that I enjoy sharing what we do down here.
Uruguay is a very small grassy country between two giants as Argentina and Brazil and no one knows much about us.
I think we are the country that eats more meat and drink more wine pero capita in the world (no joking). And another interesting thing is that it seems we have the biggest pure hereford herd in the world.

This one is nice, maybe a little "heavy" on the shoulders...
ballenero.jpg

I really like this other one !!!!!!
pigmento.jpg

Ah, I told the red angus bull that we were talking about his legs being too short and he says we can kiss his...
culocapitan.jpg

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

L

Its always interesting to see what Hereford people are doing elsewhere. Appreciate your posts.

What are the pedigrees of the Herefords - feel free to PM me if you feel too much like its a sales pitch. At the moment I am happy with the bulls in my tank but its always fun to window shop.

As for the commentary on your country - more steak dinners, more wine, and more Hereford people per capita???? I think I need to move - what more could a girl want !!

herefordchick":2q2z8n57 said:
Its always interesting to see what Hereford people are doing elsewhere. Appreciate your posts.

What are the pedigrees of the Herefords - feel free to PM me if you feel too much like its a sales pitch. At the moment I am happy with the bulls in my tank but its always fun to window shop.

As for the commentary on your country - more steak dinners, more wine, and more Hereford people per capita???? I think I need to move - what more could a girl want !!

I'm going too, maybe we can be neighbours?

I really like the type of the first bull, not keen on the second bull. I like the general type of most of the bulls you've posted, just hate their toplines.

Hi Herefordchick,

I will pm the pedigrees once I figure how to deal with the technology :D
I am leaving now for a moment but after lunch I will send you the info.

Indeed I don't want to look like a sales pitch, I share what we do and who we are because I love too much my work and I am proud of our products.

I am just the guy that put the genetic inside a "bottle", the ones that deserves the :clap: are the breeders and farmers of these third world countries that despite droughts, financial crisis and bad politicians (our fault), work hard day after day without loosing the hope and teaching the new generations to respet and love our farm.

L

Hahaha we are just 3 million people in this tiny country and we have aprox. 7 million pure hereford's heads :cboy:

L

I'm with Knersie. I like your cattle, just not their toplines. My brother tells me I have a fetish with perfect toplines in animals I retain.

Good looking cattle.

Bandit80-

A 'fetish' with Genetics and Phenotype is not a bad condition to posses, and, if warrented, enhances the quality of your seedstock!

DOC HARRIS

Lorenzo, I think it's really cool you posted your pictures. I was watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain No Reservations and he was in Uruguay. It seemed like such a beautiful and interesting place and the cattle looked amazing, very uniform and thick. There's always something to criticize in an individual animal but all in all it sounds like Uruguayans don't need instructions on how to raise or eat beef! I'd love to visit sometime too.

2/B or not 2/B":3v6ou5n9 said:
Lorenzo, I think it's really cool you posted your pictures. I was watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain No Reservations and he was in Uruguay.

Glad to see someone elses watches that show. Can;t speak much for some of the food they eat, (baked armidillo, come on) but his way of dealing with the poeple and seeing people more or less in their natural habitat is fascinating.

dun":1ec2p6rd said:
2/B or not 2/B":1ec2p6rd said:
Lorenzo, I think it's really cool you posted your pictures. I was watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain No Reservations and he was in Uruguay.

Glad to see someone elses watches that show. Can;t speak much for some of the food they eat, (baked armidillo, come on) but his way of dealing with the poeple and seeing people more or less in their natural habitat is fascinating.

Have you ever tried a baked armadillo ? :D
First, kill it sticking a knife in the back of his neck, then clean it with boiling water, it will end in an uniform pink colour, open it, take the internal glands behind the legs, put it inside a "mud oven" previously heated with hard wood and cook it for a couple of hours with potatoes and sweet potatoes, then tell me... 8)

L

bandit80":1l276ibx said:
I'm with Knersie. I like your cattle, just not their toplines. My brother tells me I have a fetish with perfect toplines in animals I retain.

Good looking cattle.

No problem at all, I understood your point. I will post some bulls with better toplines and if not.....I can always use the good ol'photoshop :lol2:

L

dun":87izev6o said:
2/B or not 2/B":87izev6o said:

I watched that show too. There sure was plenty of beef eating going on. Anthony and the "filmers" were shocked when they weaned some hereford calves and made them steers.

If i recall correctly i have once sat in a bus next to one guy from Uruguay, It was a hereford world conference tour in Finland.

man those are some fat an sassy herefords.i like them very much.an that sure is a big butted angus bull.

Lorenzo":ifc5p4na said:
Have you ever tried a baked armadillo ? :D
First, kill it sticking a knife in the back of his neck, then clean it with boiling water, it will end in an uniform pink colour, open it, take the internal glands behind the legs, put it inside a "mud oven" previously heated with hard wood and cook it for a couple of hours with potatoes and sweet potatoes, then tell me... 8)

L

Do you know how Russians cooks armadillo?
First put cleaned armadillo in a boiling water. Cook for 1 minute and throw water away. Then put armadillo in a boiling milk.Cook for 1 minute and throw milk away. Then put armadillo in pure vodka for 1 minute and then throw the armadillo away and drink the vodka.

DOC HARRIS":1pugbahx said:
Bandit80-

A 'fetish' with Genetics and Phenotype is not a bad condition to posses, and, if warrented, enhances the quality of your seedstock!

DOC HARRIS

Well, it started with feet/legs, udder quality, fertility, temperment, mucling, growth,..............

bandit80":o0wpc6h3 said:
DOC HARRIS":o0wpc6h3 said:
Bandit80-

DOC HARRIS

Well, it started with feet/legs, udder quality, fertility, temperment, mucling, growth,..............
well hopefully you'r not the only one

The Herefords are beefy bulls, but horrible, repeat horrible toplines IMO. I'd much rather put their white faces and stockings on the Red Angus in this case.

So horrible ?? I will start paying atention to see if I see better toplines.
We are meat productors and believe me, uruguayan Hereford's develope lot of beef over natural pastures...
Here is a "common" farm bull, not show bull, that was brought to be collected because he has three point something in rib eye area.
3279.jpg

And here is another picture of one of the previous bulls that you don't liked the topline, I am really surprised you find it so bad, honestly I will start paying atention to those toplines, thanks for being honest, always is good to hear others points of views. Is the only way of learning..
DSC_0875.jpg

L

Lorenzo":2gbru3wr said:
So horrible ?? I will start paying atention to see if I see better toplines.
We are meat productors and believe me, uruguayan Hereford's develope lot of beef over natural pastures...

Idoubt if a study has been that is difinitive on if weak tops cause a decrease in productive life, but to my simple mind it would. That's the reason I have such a fixation on top lines. Any structural weakness, feet, legs, topline, narrow muzzle, too much or too little slope from hooks to pins, shortness between hooks and pins, lack of body capacity, narrow back, rump sloped on the sides, muscle not extending down the rear quartere, cat hammed, etc., would seem to either cause a shorter life or decreased ability to produce beef.

Latest posts