more on tetanus calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

To: Vicky the Vet. Thanks for you answers so far. My tetanus calf is still alive! This morning she was able to drink a bottle of milk for the first time since she got sick. She also has full use of her neck and partial use of her front legs. My Question: Should I continue to use the tetanus antitoxin (I've given her two doses so far) or would penicillin or something else work better? How much of it should I give her? The tetanus antitixin requires large doses (20,000 units). I don't want to do more damage to her! Also, is there anything else you can recommend I can do for her? I have her in a "sling" during the day so she is not laying down. Is there anything I can do to help her muscles loosen? I have never known any animal with such a strong will to live. I really want to give her every chance I can. Thanks again, Trish

[email protected]

Sorry about the delay, I've been away from the computer for a few days. Tetanus is caused by a toxin produced by a bacteria called Clostridium tetani. I'd personally treat any affected animal with penicillin and tetanus antitoxin at the same time, to prevent further production of the toxin. Supportive care with improvement should result in a good recovery, but I'd still give pen. Good Luck V

> To: Vicky the Vet. Thanks for you
> answers so far. My tetanus calf is
> still alive! This morning she was
> able to drink a bottle of milk for
> the first time since she got sick.
> She also has full use of her neck
> and partial use of her front legs.
> My Question: Should I continue to
> use the tetanus antitoxin (I've
> given her two doses so far) or
> would penicillin or something else
> work better? How much of it should