More on "T" Posts

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Got any broken off Sharp at about 4-5 inches above the ground.

In my pasture, been driving around out there a zillion times. :eek:

Almost new 10 ply :cry: :cry:

Got both tires, hit both in the side walls. :help: :help:

Not repairable. :cry: :cry:

P1010025.jpg

Cooper Tires, I been using them for years, never had a flat on all my out West adventures. I don't know? If would have hit the post with the flat part of the tire don't think there would have been a problem, most likely ran over the post a few times. Sharp, and got both tires in the sidewall. Man :shock: :shock: If you only knew what my tires go through.

Two new tires: $230.

New 8lb sledge: $40.

Pounding what's left of those posts into the ground: priceless.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3w3t0t0l said:

cfpinz

:lol: You buy cheap tires!!! 14 ply cost a lot more than that. Backhoe tire is almost $600 now for a cheap one. Mesquites have to go and that's a tough job. T-Post would be a piece of cake in comparison.

backhoeboogie":381fg78j said:
cfpinz":381fg78j said:

cfpinz

:lol: You buy cheap tires!!! 14 ply cost a lot more than that. Backhoe tire is almost $600 now for a cheap one. Mesquites have to go and that's a tough job. T-Post would be a piece of cake in comparison.

Does 14 ply make the sidewalls tougher?

Just put a pair of 10 ply on my Chev 3500, I feel your pain. I like Les Schwab.

mnmtranching":27y30ze5 said:

Yes. I can actually mount 10 ply tires manually. I cannot mount 14 ply tires. Have to take the trailer wheels to the shop and have them do it. It is the rigid sidewalls that are different.

backhoeboogie":3b4cnwqq said:
mnmtranching":3b4cnwqq said:

Yes. I can actually mount 10 ply tires manually. I cannot mount 14 ply tires. Have to take the trailer wheels to the shop and have them do it. It is the rigid sidewalls that are different.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Dear Tire Doctor,

What is the difference in construction of a 14-ply tire and a 16-ply tire? And why is the air pressure so much different if the tire is made stronger?

Thanks. David

^ back to top
Dear David,

Let us address the second part of your question first.

We need to remember that it is the air contained within the tire that carries the load, not the tire components. If a 16-ply tire and a 14-ply tire of the same size are run at the same PSI, they have the same load capacity.

You can increase the load capacity of a tire in two ways: (1) Increase the volume of air in the tire (increase the tire's size) for a given air pressure, or (2) increase the pressure of the air in the tire (increase PSI) for a given volume (size).

In the "old days," tires were constructed using cotton cord material. When designers needed to add air pressure capability to increase the load a specific size tire could carry, they would simply add more plies of cotton cord. Therefore, a 16-ply tire had 16 actual plies of cotton cord, while a 14-ply tire only had 12 plies of cord. This enabled the 16-ply tire to be run at a higher PSI and thus carry more weight.

Of course tires are no longer made with cotton cord. Modern truck tires only have one casing ply of steel. This is the reason the industry prefers to use "Load Range" rather than "Ply Rating." But since old ideas die hard, ply rating is still with us today.

Now for the first part of your question regarding the differences between a 14- and 16-ply tire. There is not a hard and fast answer to this question, since tires of different brands or pattern may use different means to enable the extra air pressure to be used, and thus gain extra load capacity.

While one tire pattern may use a cord body cable with a higher wire count in the 16-ply than in the 14-ply, another may have the same wire count but use a heavier wire. Some tires may use identical wire cables in the casing but use different rubber compounds in some components to help dissipate the increased heat generated by the higher loads of the 16-ply tire. And there are other possibilities as well. So, the only way to really answer the question is that the designers did whatever they thought was needed to a particular tire to allow it to function properly at the higher PSI and load capacity.

We hope this answers your question to your satisfaction.

Best regards, Tire Doctor

Mike, The only thing I know FOR CERTAIN is that I could not manually mount the 14 ply I bought last Friday. It was a Load Range G tire. I have successfully mounted the load range E tires many times.

When I tried to squash the tire down into the rim groove, it would not stay and would creep on me when both spoons were prying. This was the first time I ever had one beat me. Generally when I buy a set of tires I have the trailer at the shop. One at a time is no big deal for me to do by myself with the tire spoons. I whimped out on that 14 ply and gave up.

backhoeboogie":qxgglh8r said:
Mike, The only thing I know FOR CERTAIN is that I could not manually mount the 14 ply I bought last Friday. It was a Load Range G tire. I have successfully mounted the load range E tires many times.

When I tried to squash the tire down into the rim groove, it would not stay and would creep on me when both spoons were prying. This was the first time I ever had one beat me. Generally when I buy a set of tires I have the trailer at the shop. One at a time is no big deal for me to do by myself with the tire spoons. I whimped out on that 14 ply and gave up.

I know exactly what you mean. The "Bead" on an 18 ply airplane tire is massive compared to a normal 10 ply truck tire.

I'm just wondering if the sidewall itself is thicker?

mnmtranching":3bfb20to said:
Got any broken off Sharp at about 4-5 inches above the ground.

In my pasture, been driving around out there a zillion times. :eek:

Almost new 10 ply :cry: :cry:

Got both tires, hit both in the side walls. :help: :help:

Not repairable. :cry: :cry:

P1010025.jpg

Don't ya' hate it when that happens? I watched my brother do that...heard it, too...that and all the cussin' that went with it. Brand new tires he had. Had to turn my back while I laughed...then I went and helped him out. GAWD, sometimes there is justice in the world.

I told him he needed to mark the broken T-post and go back and pull it out. Far as I know, it's still there... :lol:

Alice

I drive my pasture almost daily. I have had the same thing happen with a T-post broken by a dozer. The worst on my tires is brush stubble. Huisache, Mesquite, bois d'arc, and even youpon, will take it's toll on side walls.
Sure glad they opened a discount tire in town with lifetime free replacement. 4 on my right front alone. That's not to mention all the free flat repair from the thorns.

Our big tired getter is flint rocks between the duels. Break them it will get slivers into the side walls. Pull them out it will cut the side walls. Let the air out have to take in with a flat. We use good side walls and poor tread on our feed trucks.

hillrancher":3vhdxhp1 said:
Our big tired getter is flint rocks between the duels. Break them it will get slivers into the side walls. Pull them out it will cut the side walls. Let the air out have to take in with a flat. We use good side walls and poor tread on our feed trucks.

I get field rocks caught between the duals from time to time. When you go out on the highway and one lets loose it tends to get one's attention!

cfpinz

Latest posts