More on rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I've got an issue. My pond is shallow throughout and I don't have a way to keep the cows in one lot because of this. They walk the pond and get in an area I'm not ready for them to be in or they will end up where they were the previous day. How big of a deal is it if I just allow access to sections that have been grazed and open up more new grass each day. I know it's not ideal and not how I want to do it but it's creating a lot of work and low of fencing each day to keep them where I want them due to the pond issue. What say ye?

You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations.

It sounds like you need a fence around the pond...single strand high tensile...then go off in any direction want to from the pond.

dun":2g2ef5cv said:
You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations.
That might be the most profound thing I have ever heard.

PS

I don't get out much..

I put a hot wire across my pond to stop the cows from crossing it. I actually allow them to drink out of it from 4 different sections of pasture by using a hot wire .

Don't worry, if WOTUS does go through we won't be able to use most ponds. The NRCS has been promoting the installation of fountains for several years now.

jallen":mpyvgdcf said:
I've got an issue. My pond is shallow throughout and I don't have a way to keep the cows in one lot because of this. They walk the pond and get in an area I'm not ready for them to be in or they will end up where they were the previous day. How big of a deal is it if I just allow access to sections that have been grazed and open up more new grass each day. I know it's not ideal and not how I want to do it but it's creating a lot of work and low of fencing each day to keep them where I want them due to the pond issue. What say ye?
Are you talking about moving a front wire but not putting a back wire up behind them from the last day or two? That works OK to graze stockpiled fescue in the winter when it is not growing but it will not work in your favor for actively growing forage. It lengthens the stage one period of the growth curve where the plants make little growth as they build energy to get to stage 2 for rapid growth. The livestock will go back and nip off any signs of regrowth too quickly.

Thanks for the replies. I've got it squared away with poly tape for now. It will work how I've got it but there's a better way to do it than what I did. I've screwed up every way possible with the temp fencing. It's a trial and error deal for sure. By next year maybe I'll have it sorted out where it goes smoother.

jallen":1rnptokq said:
Thanks for the replies. I've got it squared away with poly tape for now. It will work how I've got it but there's a better way to do it than what I did. I've screwed up every way possible with the temp fencing. It's a trial and error deal for sure. By next year maybe I'll have it sorted out where it goes smoother.
I've been doing it for almost 20 years and a lot of it is still trial and error. Always trying to decipher if there is a better way of doing it. Goes with the territory

Every time I get the fencing set I realize a better way I could have done it. Oh well, one day.

I've become somewhat of an expert at building and taking down 3 and 4 wire high tensile fence. I am always rearranging something out there, couldn't tell you how many times I've reused the same wire.

I need to study up on what Ebenezer is talking about, my rotation schedule usually involves a bunch of bellowing cows at the gate asking to be moved.

Ebenezer":3f4tdrfk said:
It lengthens the stage one period of the growth curve where the plants make little growth as they build energy to get to stage 2 for rapid growth. The livestock will go back and nip off any signs of regrowth too quickly.

Kell-inKY":2gv7qwlv said:
I've become somewhat of an expert at building and taking down 3 and 4 wire high tensile fence. I am always rearranging something out there, couldn't tell you how many times I've reused the same wire.

I need to study up on what Ebenezer is talking about, my rotation schedule usually involves a bunch of bellowing cows at the gate asking to be moved.

Ebenezer":2gv7qwlv said:
It lengthens the stage one period of the growth curve where the plants make little growth as they build energy to get to stage 2 for rapid growth. The livestock will go back and nip off any signs of regrowth too quickly.

A single strand of high tensile wire 12 1/2 gauge about 30 to 32 inches high is sufficient for most rotational grazing interior fences. Myself like others, have had a change in plans at times and one strand is easier to take down and put up than 2 or 3. One strand with at least 5k volts is enough unless you need to fence in a garden. Polywire for the daily moves.

Kell-inKY":v2ikars3 said:
my rotation schedule usually involves a bunch of bellowing cows at the gate asking to be moved.
Ours are so used to being moved that all I have to do is yell to catch their attention then wave a white stick over head and they all come running.

Kell-inKY":2vp0va6h said:

Ebenezer":2vp0va6h said:

To expand a little, set stocking supposedly works because cows naturally prefer the more mature grass and don't regraze where they've grazed, but it's not entirely true, which is why rotational grazing with a back fence to protect the grazed grass is more productive.
I've watched a herd of cows in winter (we grow grass all year here, and grazed grass often throws up a half inch spike of new grass even in mid-winter) to figure out at what point they grazed the regrowth if they had access to it, and at 48 hours they were browsing over it snapping off those tips.
The plant used up energy to put out that shoot, which with little leaf remaining following grazing, it takes a while to create the new growth over again. Thus that individual plant will either take longer to reach the appropriate grazing stage, or be shorter when the cows come back round to that pasture.
Preventing regrazing after 48 hrs from putting the cows in maximises production. But set stocking works, and I think rotating weekly is still more productive than set stocking.

Bellowing cows suggests that they're hungry or not in an established routine - mine will be hungry soon when they are moved from a milking ration to a dry one, but as long as they're getting enough to maintain weight they usually settle quickly to the reduced diet. I've always found offering consistent feed levels - grass maturity and quantity and probably also species, if there is a mix on the farm - important to keeping cows content.

regolith":17pv5cg2 said:
Bellowing cows suggests that they're hungry or not in an established routine
Taint necessarily so. Ours can be standing in lush grass, but after 3 days they know it's time for them to hit another paddock. Even if they moved that day, if I drive through them or wave a white stick they come running thinking they're going to get to move again. The 3 day move is something they've become accustomed to.

dun":oibvtxpz said:
regolith":oibvtxpz said:
Taint necessarily so. Ours can be standing in lush grass, but after 3 days they know it's time for them to hit another paddock. Even if they moved that day, if I drive through them or wave a white stick they come running thinking they're going to get to move again. The 3 day move is something they've become accustomed to.
Amen, brother, our's are spoiled too! Like Pavlov's dog and a bell, the sight of me or the truck brings a concert when we are moving daily.

Ebenezer":1ubf0ksc said:
dun":1ubf0ksc said:
regolith":1ubf0ksc said:
Amen, brother, our's are spoiled too! Like Pavlov's dog and a bell, the sight of me or the truck brings a concert when we are moving daily.

Ditto.
Is there a certain time of day that everyone prefers to move their cattle?

Latest posts