More on feeding and being amongst cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I had mentioned in an earlier post that we have most of our heifers in a pasture a little ways down the road. They are real gentle and usually I take the tractor with a roll of hay and my wife goes in the truck with the feed. Of a morning they are there waiting and it takes two to get through the gate for them. Lately with all the rain and mud, can't get the truck in the field so we carry feed in then unroll the hay while they are eating. Today since it hasn't rained much since in the night, and more predicted tomorrow, I went over this afternoon and snuck in and put out hay so I wouldn't have to tomorrow. They came towards the tractor but got in and shut the gate in time, then had a hard time getting some to move out of the way.

And for the Longhorn lovers or haters, those horns are growing.

Roy Canada at Morehead - you may have heard of him, he is a high profile Simmental breeder - markets an over-the-fence hay feeder. I am thinking about getting one. I spend a lot of time getting the cows out of traffic areas so I can drop rolls.

Bright Raven":x6du1ogu said:
Roy Canada at Morehead - you may have heard of him, he is a high profile Simmental breeder - markets an over-the-fence hay feeder. I am thinking about getting one. I spend a lot of time getting the cows out of traffic areas so I can drop rolls.

I have met Roy, bought a bull years ago from him when we both were involved in Charolais. He was much higher profile in that than I was.

Latest posts