more muscle

Help Support CattleToday:

rimranch

Reaction score
HI i had a show over the weekend and the judge said my calf was really nice in every way but that he just needs a touch more mucsle through his lower quarter.
I know that genetics play a lot and that if he is not destined to have lots of muscle he won't but dose anyone have any ideas i have heard of people putting their calves on a ramp almost like a lamb and has anyone tried that? Also this is for a late april fair and right now the my calf is about 1100 pounds.

And on a side note i have been trouble getting my calfs all of them to stand still. They will walk staight into their feet position but they will not stand for more than two or three minutes. Any help on there problems would be appriciated
thanks
rimranch

rimranch":3r0b29m4 said:
HI i had a show over the weekend and the judge said my calf was really nice in every way but that he just needs a touch more mucsle through his lower quarter.
I know that genetics play a lot and that if he is not destined to have lots of muscle he won't but dose anyone have any ideas i have heard of people putting their calves on a ramp almost like a lamb and has anyone tried that? Also this is for a late april fair and right now the my calf is about 1100 pounds.

And on a side note i have been trouble getting my calfs all of them to stand still. They will walk staight into their feet position but they will not stand for more than two or three minutes. Any help on there problems would be appriciated
thanks
rimranch
Ramps work. Also, get him out and exercise him a bit more if you can. The added walking will help to build more muscle, if it's in his genetic potential. As far as him standing still...how do you practice at home? If you don't practice walking as though you were in the ring and standing for long periods of time, your calf will not stand in the ring. We used to walk as though walking the ring and stand for five, ten, fifteen...and on a few occasions, thirty minutes (which is very possible at a major), then move and set up on the opposite view. The more you practice with them, the more likely they are to behave in the ring.

Jay

dont do the ramps! it can really mess up a calf on his front end . exercise or putting him in a lot to run around in at night. also some paylean the last 30 days before a show but no longer than 30 days or so. that can really screw one up if given much longer than that. also a good implant about 30-45 before a market show can help out a lot too. it will really make them explode.

as for them moving around while showing them the best thing to do is just get out there with them 30 min a day or more and just stick them. have your folks walk around them and put their hands on them like a judge would.

if i were to use paylean or implants would that show in a drug test? They test the winners and some random calves at the fair he is aimed at and i do not want him thrown out

Optaflexx (the actual drug in Paylean) and commercially available implants are approved for use in slaughter cattle and will not cause you to fail a drug test.

YEAH THERE ARE SEVERAL SUPPLEMENTS YOU CAN GIVE THEM THAT CONTAIN PAYLEAN IN IT IS WHAT WE USE. THEY ARE APPROVED AS WELL AS IMPLANTS SUCH AS REVLAR.

Texas26steerjock":223u7qs5 said:
dont do the ramps! it can really mess up a calf on his front end . exercise or putting him in a lot to run around in at night. also some paylean the last 30 days before a show but no longer than 30 days or so. that can really screw one up if given much longer than that. also a good implant about 30-45 before a market show can help out a lot too. it will really make them explode.
ramps can work if you know what you're doing. talk with some people you know about a ramp. i think the biggest thing that will help this steer is the thing i first mentioned, though, and that is to get out and walk him.

Texas26steerjock":2tsl92wl said:
YEAH RAMPS CAN WORK AND THEY CAN ALSO SCREW ONE UP STRUCTURE WISE. I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN TRUST ME.

A ramp can work if the calf has no structure problems what so ever. They have to have a perfect front end for it to work. If they have any kind of problem though, you will screw them up.

paylean is fine as long as they are sound when you give it to them. you only wanna feed it for about 30 days before you go to a major. if they dont make the sale sont give any for another week or two and then you can start back up on it. its def not somethgin you wanna give all year long though.

Texas26steerjock":2h8o2z1m said:
YEAH RAMPS CAN WORK AND THEY CAN ALSO SCREW ONE UP STRUCTURE WISE. I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN TRUST ME.
Yes, like I said, if you know what you're doing, they can work.

i think i have been in this deal long enough and had enough winners to know what works and doesn't. it is something i'd rather not use cause it CAN mess the front end up on one. but in all reality if people would buy the right kind of calves in the beginning that have the muscle you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Texas26steerjock":83iho2xz said:
but in all reality if people would buy the right kind of calves in the beginning that have the muscle you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Exactly!

In all reality no animal is perfect and it was only one judges comments, but if you want more depth of quarter buy a calf with more muscling but remember fat will fill in the twist , as well hair can help alot.there are alot of judges who won't touch an animal there as they have been kicked a few too many times. I'm my experience hog the animal up and walk a few miles a day that should do it. As far as any meds or implants check withdrawl times. Personally i don't like using chemicals to alter an animal. Maybe because i usally show Pb breeding stock and will be keeping them for my program or selling for other to use in their breeding program.

Why do you keep saying hog em up? I don't know about your pigs, but ours are skinny, at least the ones I've seen.

Latest posts