More MIX30 conversation

Help Support CattleToday:

sageridge

Reaction score
Hello...new to the site. Read an old post on MIX30 liquid feed. Wanted to share my experience.

We have been feeding MIX30 for 2 years. We offer it free choice in open top tanks. Have not had any concerns with the cattle over consuming. Right now have 140 broken mouth cows on cornstalks, with free choice MIX30 and they are consuming about 2-3 pounds a day. About $0.17-$0.25/head/day ($150-$170 per ton). They look great. Also have loose mineral and salt free choice and they hardly touch it. Haven't fed one bale this winter, and we have had some cold streaks. Young calves are also doing great on it, we have cut back on our creep gest. We keep it available year round. Cornstalks, wheat pasture, bromegrass pasture, grama pasture....doesn't matter. Consumption will go up a couple pounds/head/day when forage quality decreases. But not nearly as much as with tubs. We like the program. 17% CP, 10% Fat, they will add trace minerals for additional $, but I like having loose mineral w/salt. As far as handling, we set up some old flat bottom fertilizer tanks with a pump, and use an old fertilizer nurse tank with a Honda pump and we can drive the MIX30 wherever we need. If you let it set for 10 days or longer I recirculate it, but it really doesn't separate that bad.

It sounds like the Mix30 is really working out good for you. I was glad to see someone giving some usage info on it. I was worried about over consumption on it. I am getting set up to start using it shortly. I'm only going to be feeding it to 30 or so head so I can't afford an elaborate tank setup. I'm going to pick up in 2x250 gallon plastic totes on a flatbed trailer, drain into 100 gallon open top tanks. My mixer is my canoe paddle. The motor for the canoe paddle is pretty old so will probably mix kind of slow. Not a very elaborate setup.

blacksnake":2npf42l0 said:
It sounds like the Mix30 is really working out good for you. I was glad to see someone giving some usage info on it. I was worried about over consumption on it. I am getting set up to start using it shortly. I'm only going to be feeding it to 30 or so head so I can't afford an elaborate tank setup. I'm going to pick up in 2x250 gallon plastic totes on a flatbed trailer, drain into 100 gallon open top tanks. My mixer is my canoe paddle. The motor for the canoe paddle is pretty old so will probably mix kind of slow. Not a very elaborate setup.

To mix/agitate it when we use it I have an old 12 volt trolling motor that works great. Not near as tiring as the paddle. To pump from tank to tank I use a 12 volt bilge pump with a home made screen over the intake so that the leaves and etc. don;t clog it up.

Dun,

You must be more experienced than me to come up with such a mechanized set up. Maybe I can talk my wife into buying me a trolling motor for this then I could borrow it for fishing. I've got an old trolling motor somewhere out in the shed I quit using since I broke a clamp on it. Maybe I'll revive it to use as a mixer.

Blacksnake

I think you will really like it. Doesn't matter the setup, as long as the cattle like it, and it works. If you are concerned with consumption rates, something you may consider is placing your MIX30 tank in a more remote location in the pasture. This will ensure that they don't over consume everytime they come up for water. I haven't had that problem though. Also wanted to mention that it will really slick their coats up and make them look good.

blacksnake":2xvaa3ar said:
Dun,

You must be more experienced than me to come up with such a mechanized set up. Maybe I can talk my wife into buying me a trolling motor for this then I could borrow it for fishing. I've got an old trolling motor somewhere out in the shed I quit using since I broke a clamp on it. Maybe I'll revive it to use as a mixer.

Thje old motor I use doesn;t even have a clamp on it anymore. The clamp bolt rusted through and the skeg on the bottom broke off and it only runs in reverse. But it works for mixing the stuff. I found it in an old shed when we moved one time and beinf frugal (wife says I never throw anything away) I decided to keep it.

We feed Mix 30 and really like it. Never had a problem with over consumption. We have fed hay that was bought a different time/places. You can really see how their consumption changes when the hay quality changes. The cows look good on it. The newborn calves have super shiny coats when their mother have been on it.

Farmgirl

Anyone using it near NW Missouri? I called them a few months ago and they could only sell me a tanker load as there are any distributors near me. I'd really like to start using it instead of feeding cubes. Any help would be appreciated.

Just filled the tank up with Mix30 on Monday afternoon and the girls appear to like it just fine. I'm anxious to compare consumption, condition, etc.to the other liquid protein we've been using.