More food for thought

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I mentioned how my vet and I had discussed vaccinations - most specifically bangs; brucellosis vaccine. The main things I found interesting were how an animal's immune system may not respond as well as desired under "stress", which can include weaning, branding, dehorning, just being worked in general, etc, and how I've been told less than 50% may respond to the first vaccination, making that second or even third vaccine necessary.

And then how brucellosis is just a one-time vaccine, and some folks do all their cattle work at one time including bangs - the stress on the animal's immune system at that time would certainly result in lower responses than desired. Makes you wonder if and how many animals out there might not be protected as well as they should be.

So, flipping through the paper this morning, I came across the following article.

"Brucellosis found in eastern Idaho cattle (AP)

More than 50 cattle have been slaughtered in eastern Idaho after veterinarians confirmed brucellosis infections, a finding that could cause the state to lose its brucellosis free status.
Tests of the herd found eight cattle infected with brucellosis and two other possible infections. All 39 cows, two bulls, and several calves were slaughtered."

Can't help but wonder. I do know that here in Idaho that it's required by law that all heifers (or at least the replacements) be vaccinated for brucellosis. It doesn't say for certain whether or not these cattle were vaccinated (though I can't imagine as they'd actually TELL if the cows were both "vaccinated" and infected!), but the likelyhood that they at least received the vaccination is very very high.

Like I said.....food for thought.

There will always be cattle people that are "Pennywise And Pound Foolish".

Or, they are so naive that they don't know that there is a reason for vaccinations.

And, there is always a new twist to "You Can't Starve A Profit Out of An Animal."

Guess the same type of logic applies to those cattle people that try to raise cattle (or any other livestock) in a trashy, junky pen or pasture with countless numbers of harmful objects in, on, or about the pasture...then they wonder why the animal ingests a harmful object, gets seriously injured, or dies from something.

Latest posts