More Cows (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
The cows were a little more co-operative about photo ops this time around. Here are some photos from yesterday. This is our fall grazing, we should get another week to 2 weeks before we need to start feeding.

I'll start off with these. Here is #129 with 2 of her daughters. #129 is our most prolific cow producer. We've kept every one of her daughters, grand daughters and now we are starting with her great grand daughters. We have 4 of her daughters, 3 raised calves this year, one's her calf from this year. 3 grand daughters, 2 raised calves, one's a bred heifer. And one great grand daughter which was a calf this year. So a grand total of 8 offspring. She is coming 8 years old, purebred Shorthorn. The red cow is sired by Gelbveih and the Black one is sired by Black Angus.

#129 (red/white), #40,(black) #32(red)
xy_DSC01263.jpg

#129 and #40 her oldest daughter.
xy_DSC01260.jpg

Now, for the rest of the herd
#11(grey), #19(Rbrf), #154(red)
xy_DSC01251.jpg

#117(BBRF), #27(Red) not sure who the others are.
xy_DSC01252.jpg

A group shot
xy_DSC01255.jpg

#164, a 2 year old
xy_DSC01264.jpg

#170, Her steer is going to be our son's 4H steer this year.
xy_DSC01265.jpg

#159 and 2 cows I can't figure out....
xy_DSC01266.jpg

Beautiful pictures and country.

One of the good things about this site is the ability to see such a wide range of cattle raising environments. Mine are grazing odd corners and the woods and valleys in SW WI right now, Knersie's are on the Veld in South Africa, others are in the southeast... - all very different from your open grass prairies - but we are all raising cattle.

Thanks for posting.

Jim

SRBeef":1wgl86zv said:

One of the good things about this site is the ability to see such a wide range of cattle raising environments. Mine are grazing odd corners and the woods and valleys in SW WI right now, Knersie's are on the Veld in South Africa, others are in the southeast... - all very different from your open grass prairies - but we are all raising cattle.

Thanks for posting.

Jim

And mine are grazing wheat in standing cotton stalks (and harvesting the cotton I couldn't get with the picker) and eating gin trash in the AR delta. Wish I could get some pics up.

jedstivers":3lzn273q said:
SRBeef":3lzn273q said:

Thanks for posting.

Jim

And mine are grazing wheat in standing cotton stalks (and harvesting the cotton I couldn't get with the picker) and eating gin trash in the AR delta. Wish I could get some pics up.

Jed, May I suggest using http://www.photobucket.com as someone else here suggested to me. Upload your photo to photobucket, double click on it after uploaded, right click and choose "copy image location", copy and paste the location into the space between the "Img" links provided when you click on "Img" above the CT posting window. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

Cattle eat cotton???? Now that's something different!

I love to see pictures of others cattle in many different environments too. Good luck.

Jim

Nice pics Randi
SRBeef - Haven't you heard of whole cotton seed for a feed? Cattle absolutely love it. First time hubby wanted to add it to our show feed, I asked him to just bring a bag home & we could hand mix it to see if they would eat it. It looked like a fuzzy bag of cotton. Cattle LOVED IT!! We don't feed it any longer - got real hard to get it here consistantly, plus we went "cheap" and feed our showstring plain whole shell corn with protein pellets added.
But, I have to admit, I just never thought about grazing a cotton field. Must be just like grazing a picked corn field.

Not to hi-jack the thread but grazing cotton stalks has been done in the south since the first cow and cotton field were here. I will try to get some pics sometime an see if I can get them in my computer an then get them up.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":32vr4xf5 said:
Nice pics Randi
SRBeef - Haven't you heard of whole cotton seed for a feed? Cattle absolutely love it. First time hubby wanted to add it to our show feed, I asked him to just bring a bag home & we could hand mix it to see if they would eat it. It looked like a fuzzy bag of cotton. Cattle LOVED IT!! We don't feed it any longer - got real hard to get it here consistantly, plus we went "cheap" and feed our showstring plain whole shell corn with protein pellets added.
But, I have to admit, I just never thought about grazing a cotton field. Must be just like grazing a picked corn field.

Jeanne, I guess I have heard of cattle eating cottonseed meal. I was in cotton country when in the Air Force and remember a "picked" cotton field as having a lot of open bolls with what looks like a lot of regular fluffy white cotton in them...I have a hard time picturing in my mind cows eating open bolls of cotton. I can see nutrition in the seed but in the white cotton itself? Isn't most cotton defoliated prior to harvesting the cotton? I guess it's just something I'm not used to seeing. I'll look forward to the pictures!

Jim