More Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

brierpatch1974

Reaction score
Well I managed to add another 15 Braunvieh Cows to my herd. These ladies are actually part of the original herd I bought my first 9 from and bred to the same bull that I purchased with my first 9. The owner of these passed away and the wife wanted to sell. She called original owner and he put her in touch with me. So I jumped at the deal after preg check and all confirmed. So I now have 24 cows from the original herd of 70.

So my herd is growing nicely if not maybe a little faster than I planned but all is well. I can't wait for the spring calving to begin. I am thinking in a couple of years about breeding them to a black gelbvieh. What do you guys think about this cross ?

One of the things I like about my groups is they are all the dark brown color and not the light brown you see in the breed as well. So shouldn't be to hard to get some Black calves out of these cows with a good black bull.

Can you post some pics ? I like those big brown cows,and bred to a black Gelbvieh bull should produce some heavy weaning calves.

A braunvieh is a Braunvieh lol It is a breed and not a cross breed. I will try and get some pics on here soon as I can.

Isnt it wild how breeding for traits can go to two extremes. Same breed and some become milk cows while others beef.

Brier do the Braunvieh have the same disposition as Brown Swiss? I used to milk a few Swiss and they were the most laid back cows ever! Never got in much of a hurry. I liked them.

Well I can only speak for the ones I have and they are very laid back and care free. Even my bull is easy going. Doesnt mean I am going to turn my back on any of them anytime soon lol but no problems so far.

Latest posts