more cattle than ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
If I let the cattle into the ryegrass pasture they will graze it too short in a short time. If I was going to put the cattle on the ryegrass for part of each day then call them out with cubes, how long should they stay on the ryegrass each day so that they their nutrition will be adequate for sustaining body weight? Thanks for any comments.

Without a lot more information on pasture height/quality, type of cow and what else they're getting to eat, I doubt there's any good answer for you.

As a rule of thumb, my dry, heavily pregnant dairy cows should be grazing for four - five hours after they get their daily area. I would consider four hours barely maintaining weight.
Bear in mind your other options. Aka, de-stocking or buying in feed. Or in the case of milking cattle, drying some off.

I thought about doing some limit grazing on my ryegrass, but have stayed with plan "A", which is to keep them off of it until the ryegrass growth can keep up better. Just a couple weeks and the days start getting longer. Here, the best months seem to be starting mid Feb thru May. I'm afraid if I let them on it, it would do more harm than good

Latest posts