More calf comparisons

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
The first one of these is the same BWF from the other thread. 62.5 % Angus, balance Hereford.
The second calf is the opposite, with 62.5 % Hereford and balance Angus.
They are by the same bull and born in the same day. The first from an F1 BWF cow and the second from a purebred Hereford cow.
4B14D497-7B1E-4E05-A87B-B5BC00C30796.jpeg1DEE73CF-3DB8-4B07-8627-1DC9F441E809.jpeg

They both look like "black herefords" to me. I'd be hard pressed to choose one of em. Both look equally ok to my eyes BUT need a touch more ear...
Yeah I'd like some ear on them too.
I've never really believed in "black Herefords" just legend I think. I call these black white faces or BWFs like I've heard them called as long I can remember. I'm not reinventing the wheel or anything like that. 😂

Can I ask how you market those calves? I had a really nice hereford bull that would put white socks on about 10% of his calves. On average those with the white feet brought $100 less per head so I sold the bull.

Can I ask how you market those calves? I had a really nice hereford bull that would put white socks on about 10% of his calves. On average those with the white feet brought $100 less per head so I sold the bull.
There is a dock on Hereford or Hereford looking cattle here too. We have used Hereford influence to get better females in our herd is the justification I use.
There is a couple Hereford influence feeder calf sales around here in which the calves have to be weaned and vaccinated according to a set protocol. Those sales will typically see most of the cattle sell consistently at the same price as the top calves in the regular part of the sale.
Sometimes we sell heifer calves out private. We also will generally feed out Hereford steer calves for our beef and to sell to others.

There is a dock on Hereford or Hereford looking cattle here too. We have used Hereford influence to get better females in our herd is the justification I use.
There is a couple Hereford influence feeder calf sales around here in which the calves have to be weaned and vaccinated according to a set protocol. Those sales will typically see most of the cattle sell consistently at the same price as the top calves in the regular part of the sale.
Sometimes we sell heifer calves out private. We also will generally feed out Hereford steer calves for our beef and to sell to others.
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you have some good marketing. It's a shame black Angus is king in my opinion . Other breeds have great traits too.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you have some good marketing. It's a shame black Angus is king in my opinion . Other breeds have great traits too.
Actually my marketing isn't always the greatest. Those Hereford influence feeder sales are one sale twice a year, and usually by the time the late November or early December fall sale comes around the market is on a down trend following the earlier big runs. The spring sale usually doesn't have as many cattle and thus smaller groups sometimes calves will still sell as singles or 2-3 head in it as there aren't enough calves to make a big group.
Occasionally, though the sale does ok, and most times if they have enough for some bigger groups they sell as good as anything else sells on that day.
Yeah, Angus has taken over and ruined a lot in the process in my opinion. A lot of good long running breeding programs went black and lost all those years of efforts. Now everybody has Angus or wanna be Angus black hybrids, and they are great because they are black hided, never mind the fact of bad feet, low fertility in the females, among other things.
That's why after trying to play the game, I came to realize the need to have the kind of cows that work for me. Working slowly with what I have and trying to make the best of it. The color isn't as important to me as a productive animal is.

Actually my marketing isn't always the greatest. Those Hereford influence feeder sales are one sale twice a year, and usually by the time the late November or early December fall sale comes around the market is on a down trend following the earlier big runs. The spring sale usually doesn't have as many cattle and thus smaller groups sometimes calves will still sell as singles or 2-3 head in it as there aren't enough calves to make a big group.
Occasionally, though the sale does ok, and most times if they have enough for some bigger groups they sell as good as anything else sells on that day.
Yeah, Angus has taken over and ruined a lot in the process in my opinion. A lot of good long running breeding programs went black and lost all those years of efforts. Now everybody has Angus or wanna be Angus black hybrids, and they are great because they are black hided, never mind the fact of bad feet, low fertility in the females, among other things.
That's why after trying to play the game, I came to realize the need to have the kind of cows that work for me. Working slowly with what I have and trying to make the best of it. The color isn't as important to me as a productive animal is.
I agree with you. Having a white footed cow that has a healthy calf every year is more valuable than a black angus cow that doesn't breed back at some point in her early life.

Yeah I'd like some ear on them too.
I've never really believed in "black Herefords" just legend I think. I call these black white faces or BWFs like I've heard them called as long I can remember. I'm not reinventing the wheel or anything like that. 😂
Well, are you saying that you don;t believe that the Black Hereford cattle, or the Black Hereford registry exists? Do you believe in Gelbievs, Limosines, Simmental or SimmAngus? https://blackhereford.org/

Well, are you saying that you don;t believe that the Black Hereford cattle, or the Black Hereford registry exists? Do you believe in Gelbievs, Limosines, Simmental or SimmAngus? https://blackhereford.org/
All in fun. Yes I believe that there are folks out there that call their cattle black Herefords and that they have a registry for them. I also believe that Simmentals, Gelbviehs, Limousins, etc. had breeding up programs and therefore had a lot of black percentage cattle that were bred up have since been selectively bred to be black.
I have had a black Simmental bull,

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply "Black Hereford" as a breed, and get that whole mess started.

I just meant they looked like a hereford. Only black.

The whole "Black Hereford" thing is tricky.

They look like good solid calves. For whatever reason I think I like the 2nd one better. Perhaps it's the photo difference. Perhaps it's because he has less amount of white on his legs. His rear looks nicer to me too. Seems to have a touch more thickness. That is, the "window" under him looks smaller. And his sheath is cleaner. Tho he has more neck leather.

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply "Black Hereford" as a breed, and get that whole mess started.

They look like good solid calves. For whatever reason I think I like the 2nd one better. Perhaps it's the photo difference. Perhaps it's because he has less amount of white on his legs. His rear looks nicer to me too. Seems to have a touch more thickness. That is, the "window" under him looks smaller. And his sheath is cleaner. Tho he has more neck leather.
I was just having some fun with the "black Hereford" it doesn't bother me any one way or the other.

Both nice calves, very similar. If they're all that consistent good job. I know a buyer here who would be looking you up for those bwf types.

To add to Murray's comments, It does appear the top one is a rib longer. Maybe the way he's standing makes him look a bit lighter in the rear end. The bottom one does appear thicker, but I like them both. Give them another 4-5 months and show them to us again.

@Ky hills are you anywhere near the flooding. If so, hope y'all are ok.
Thanks for the concern, we are about 100 miles or so west of the areas that I'm hearing about. Have several friends from those areas, with family members living there currently.
I have been concerned about Kenny Thomas and Jltrent though as it's my understanding they are both just over the state line in VA.

Thanks for the concern, we are about 100 miles or so west of the areas that I'm hearing about. Have several friends from those areas, with family members living there currently.
I have been concerned about Kenny Thomas and Jltrent though as it's my understanding they are both just over the state line in VA.
Glad you ok. @kenny thomas and @jltrent , are y'all ok?

Latest posts