MORE BSE Found In Alberta Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
It is being reported on ranchers by the Canadians that this is a bull born in 2000-- which, if true, would make this another POST feedban born animal and would have been born after USDA's magic date of March 1999 and would have been eligible for import to the US if Rule 2 was in place... :roll: :shock: :mad: :mad:

If Rule 2 existed it could have been found in the US and could have again hurt demand for US beef...

Rule 2 needs to be postponed until we get our export markets in place, M-COOL implemented so US consumers know the origin of the beef they are getting and can make an informed choice on whether they want to buy this imported higher risk beef, and Canada gets a handle on their feedban.......

--------------------------------------------

CattleNetwork_Today 2/7/2007 5:47:00 PM

Cattle Alert: BSE Confirmed In Alberta, Canada

OTTAWA, February 7, 2007 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has confirmed the diagnosis of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in a mature bull from Alberta. The animal's carcass is under CFIA control, and no part of it entered the human food or animal feed systems.

Preliminary information indicates that the age of the animal falls well within the age range of previous cases detected in Canada under the national BSE surveillance program. This signifies that the animal was exposed to a very small amount of infective material, most likely during its first year of life.

An epidemiological investigation directed by international guidelines is underway to examine what the animal was fed early in its life and to identify its herdmates at the time. All findings will be publicly released once the investigation concludes.

Under Canada's enhanced feed ban, which comes into effect on July 12, 2007, BSE should be eliminated from the national cattle herd within approximately 10 years. The CFIA expects the periodic detection of a limited number of cases to continue as the level of BSE continues to decline.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.as ... tid=104342

Subject: BSE CONFIRMED IN ALBERTA February 7, 2007
Date: February 7, 2007 at 5:03 pm PST

BSE CONFIRMED IN ALBERTA

OTTAWA, February 7, 2007 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has confirmed the diagnosis of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in a mature bull from Alberta. The animal's carcass is under CFIA control, and no part of it entered the human food or animal feed systems.

Preliminary information indicates that the age of the animal falls well within the age range of previous cases detected in Canada under the national BSE surveillance program. This signifies that the animal was exposed to a very small amount of infective material, most likely during its first year of life.

An epidemiological investigation directed by international guidelines is underway to examine what the animal was fed early in its life and to identify its herdmates at the time. All findings will be publicly released once the investigation concludes.

Under Canada's enhanced feed ban, which comes into effect on July 12, 2007, BSE should be eliminated from the national cattle herd within approximately 10 years. The CFIA expects the periodic detection of a limited number of cases to continue as the level of BSE continues to decline.

The finding of a mature animal should not impact Canada's BSE country categorization submission to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). The science-based BSE risk-level determination process requires that a country is able to demonstrate a full understanding of the pathways that resulted in BSE exposure and expression, as well as the implementation of appropriate comprehensive measures to block those pathways and protect human and animal health, leading to the eradication of the disease over time.

The animal was identified at the farm level by the national surveillance program, which has detected all cases found in Canada. The program targets the highest risk cattle populations and has tested roughly 150,000 animals since 2003. The surveillance results reflect an extremely low incidence of BSE in Canada.

- 30 -

For information:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Media relations: 613-228-6682

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... avie.shtml

amazing what you will find when you look, and document it. ...tss

frenchie":5twqyz49 said:
Oldtimer":5twqyz49 said:
It is being reported on ranchers by the Canadians that this is a bull born in 2000--

Rumours Ot ...Just rumours

Yep a rumor put out by a Canadian - Manitoba Rancher...2000 would make it a 7 year old bull...In my area that is old for a bull- few stay around here that long---- in order for it to be pre feedban it would have to be 10+ years old which I consider ancient or antique :roll: ....

Pretty good odds he is right and it is POST feed ban....

CattleNetwork_Today 2/8/2007 3:39:00 PM

CFIA: Latest Canadian BSE Case Likely Born In 2000

WINNIPEG (Dow Jones)--The Alberta bull that was recently announced as Canada's latest case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy was likely born in 2000, according to preliminary information provided by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

"Based on some very preliminary information provided by the owner, the animal was likely born in 2000," said Dr. George Luterbach, a veterinarian with the CFIA, on Canada's ninth case of BSE.

While that would mean the animal was born three years after the implementation of Canada's feed restrictions in 1997, Luterbach noted that the country has already seen other cases of BSE in cattle born in 2000.

Luterbach said a thorough investigation was important to determine the exact age of the animal. An investigation of the other cattle born on the northern Alberta farm within a year of the animal in question will also help track down those other animals that may have been exposed to BSE.

A feed investigation will also be conducted, said Luterbach.

The CFIA's investigation could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the availability of records on the farm, said Luterbach.

OT this might just be the one to come back and bite you in the butt.There is a rumor going around that the CFIA isn't releasing the breed of the bull, because he is a hybrid bull imported from Montana. Currently i am trying to substanciate this. Either way i will let you know what i find out.

Time will tell where the bull is from. or his age.although Montana would make sense as that is where all the bull is :lol2:

As of today the CFIA is confirming northern alberta, and are mouth aging the bull at least a 2000, but may be older, no other comments the investigation it is ongoing. Makes me wonder if the rumors are more than just rumors. If the bull was a purebred just check the tatoo and papers to find where he came from , exact age and who bred and raised him. But if from montana and a hybrid that might explain a few things. But i am not going to speculate I will let the CFIA do their job, it will come out in the wash. when they are done.

As of today the CFIA is confirming northern alberta, and are mouth aging the bull at least a 2000, but may be older, no other comments the investigation it is ongoing. Makes me wonder if the rumors are more than just rumors. If the bull was a purebred just check the tatoo and papers to find where he came from , exact age and who bred and raised him. But if from montana and a hybrid that might explain a few things. But i am not going to speculate I will let the CFIA do their job, it will come out in the wash. when they are done.

skcatlman":urthadpu said:
OT this might just be the one to come back and bite you in the butt.There is a rumor going around that the CFIA isn't releasing the breed of the bull, because he is a hybrid bull imported from Montana. Currently i am trying to substanciate this. Either way i will let you know what i find out.

But if from montana and a hybrid that might explain a few things.

Hey Saskartoon-- WRONG AGAIN-- That makes you batting about 0 out of 1000 for having or presenting any facts
;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------------------------

Latest Information (as of March 6, 2007 - 16:30 EST)
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency's (CFIA) comprehensive investigation of Canada's latest case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) is nearing completion.
CFIA investigators have confirmed the animal was born in 2000 and was at least six and a half years old at the time of its death, based on dental analysis, DNA testing and information provided by the producer.
Information collected through the investigation also indicates the animal was born and raised on the farm where it was found.

The CFIA has directed all necessary resources toward the tracing of cattle that may have been exposed to the same feed as the affected animal during the early part of their lives.
The investigation also includes a thorough examination of the formulation, production, transportation and storage of a number of feed sources used on the birth farm at the time.
This case is consistent with our understanding of BSE in North America. The CFIA has maintained that more cases could be found, especially considering that we are testing cattle most at risk of having BSE More than 150,000 cattle have been tested since BSE was first detected in 2003.
All of Canada's cases have been detected through the surveillance program. These findings provide undisputable proof that our targeted testing regime is effective and working as intended to closely monitor the health of Canada's cattle herd.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... ione.shtml

OT, why don't you post and bold the entire statement, instead of partial statements. Yeah, i waited for the investigation to be completed and the rumor was wrong. So sue me for not spreading rumor or gossip like YOU. As far a my batting average i was right about the Swift incedent, they were not canadian cattle illegally imported to the US . You seem to have forgotten that i was one of the first saying you were wrong there, But you don't include that in my average. I like your definition of zero , just like the number of indigenous BSE positives in the US, the age of cattle teated in the US, and the number of R-CALF members. I have only made about 300 posts not a 1000. You seem to have problems with math. May i suggest a remedial class of some kind. :roll: