More Brahmans

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
As long as we are picking apart Brahman, have at it. Both are 8 months old.
Picture_0061.jpg

Picture_009.jpg

alacattleman":3c8jx6fu said:
like the bull,,, is the heifer gonna be in your F1 program
I will probably AI back to Brahman the first go round unless there are some flaws my barnblindnes are covering up.
That being the reason I posted both of them.

novatech":2w0hagal said:
alacattleman":2w0hagal said:
like the bull,,, is the heifer gonna be in your F1 program
I will probably AI back to Brahman the first go round unless there are some flaws my barnblindnes are covering up.
That being the reason I posted both of them.
well i aint had purebred brahman for a few years...talked too a man at the sale barn tues night, said eared cattle or coming back here ..

Around here Brhaman cows and heifers are in big demand dispite the drought. The bull calves are another story.
If this bull makes the grade he will be used for cleanup.

Hard to tell from the position of the bull in the pic. But, I like the heifer Nova; she looks very nice. I wonder what a GV Brahman would look like?

Breed her to GV so we can find out please..I'll pay for the semen :lol2:

Like the heifer. The bull, not so much but probably the photo not doing him any favors.

HD, do a search for Gel-Bray. I'm pretty sure somebody has been there and done that.

novatech":e8ryrmyw said:
Around here Brhaman cows and heifers are in big demand dispite the drought. The bull calves are another story.
If this bull makes the grade he will be used for cleanup.
probably because of the drought and record temps.

novatech-

From the outset I must admit that my familiarity with the American Brahman is technically limited insofar as the breed specifics are concerned, so my analysis may be distorted, but here are my observations, for what they may be worth.

Your remark regarding the poor "photo" positioning of the bull is well taken. Any animal which is in a 'head-down' position does not present his phenotype correctly or well. Nevertheless, this bull does a pretty good job of displaying his breed characteristics - particularly at only eight months of age. The "Furnace Alley" in which you live in Central Texas does not bode well in the summer for optimal growth of livestock, in spite of the fact that Brahman's are acclimated to that kind of hellish heat! Somewhat. I don't know what your cattle weigh, or their hip height, but they seem to me to be about average for the breed at this age. Give that bull calf another eight months and he should weigh about 1200# - 1300#, assuming that you are backgrounding him for possible breeding services. The main criticism I would express right now is his seeming small bone size. When his testicles start "waking up" and Testosterone starts coursing through his physiology and Nitrogen is retained, then he will, by the process of Endocrinology begin manifesting his male sex features, shortened legs and heavier bone, development of a crest, heavier muscling, and more dewlap and sheath. I am opposed to the characteristic of a pendulous sheath, but that is typical of Bos Indicus breeding. My feeling regarding the bull calf is that he will manifest a much more desirable type in a few more months. Give him a chance, and supply him with adequate nutrition and optimal care, and you may be pleasantly surprised with the response.

novatech, as with the raising of ANY young seedstock, it is imperative that optimal nutrition and careful management practices be followed constantly. Their future and YOUR future successes depend on it!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts