More Birthweights

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
This month's Hereford World had some interesting articles about calving management etc. One of the topics that particularly was of interest to me was about what affects BW. It seems that some research has shown that regarding spring calving, the colder the winter, the heavier the calf. This is believed to be tied to blood flow patterns. There is less variation in fall calf weights, and they tend to be lighter than spring calves.

Also, their research disputes the notion that feeding less significantly reduces calf BW. Seems the adverse effects of an undernourished heifer and calf far outweigh the 1-3 pound difference in BW. Heifers that have inadequate BCS will typically have lower value colostrum, tend to be in poorer health, and the calf survivability suffers. There is a downside to a heifer being too fat, as it may lessen milk production due to fatty deposits in the udder, and internal fat may cause calving problems.

I've tried to condense several pages into a couple of paragraphs so forgive me for shortcomings.

Greenwillowhereford that is exactly what I was tought and what I have seen in our cows. The cold winter definatly has a increase affect on calf weight. It's hard to get some of the "older" rancher to believe that they are huriting themselves by short feeding before calving.

Goes back to the old adage "You can;t starve a small calf out of a cow".

That "research" info has been around for a few years now, and I totally agree. Except, the part about getting heifers too fat. Agreed, it will reduce milk production - IF - and only IF - the fat in the udder was deposited PRIOR to her being bred. Fat, after pregnancy, does not settle in the milk cells. Also, unless they are OBESE, internal fat has less affect on their "calving ease" as being too thin. I'm sure not promoting to get heifers fat, far from it, but it is better for them to be a little fat than thin.
The only reason I'm "harping" on this, is soooo many people think they need to keep their heifers "lean" prior to calving. WRONG WRONG. More dystocia, thin weak calves, lower quality colostrum, less milk production, harder to get bred back, blah blah - the list goes on.

Jeanne is right, My neighbors think I'm nuts but I like the heifers in a 5.5-6 and the older cows in a 5 condition. We have very few birth problems, we do AI to proven heifer bulls, and we have a very good breed back on the heifers. Remember the heifers need to be in a little better cond. since they are still growing and trying to raise a calf. This way if they drop off a little when milking they still remain in good enough condition to breed back.

Sage":2d74h5ch said:
Jeanne is right, My neighbors think I'm nuts but I like the heifers in a 5.5-6 and the older cows in a 5 condition. We have very few birth problems, we do AI to proven heifer bulls, and we have a very good breed back on the heifers. Remember the heifers need to be in a little better cond. since they are still growing and trying to raise a calf. This way if they drop off a little when milking they still remain in good enough condition to breed back.

I wish I could keep ours at those BCS for calving. The cows usaully run closer to 6.5 and the heifers around 7. I mentioned it to the vet one day and he said he could give them a shot that would keep them thinner. The big draw back was they would be so high we wouldn;t be able to get near them.

OK "smartie pants" (Dun) - you were the one I was referring to in the other post about having the resources (and I'll add - the genetics) to raise your heifers on roughage only. It sure would be nice. My heifers are usually around a 6.5 to 7 prior to calving, but they aren't that by breeding :shock: They're usually closer to a 5.5 by then.
My hardest females to keep adequate weight on is the 3 year olds. The 2 yr olds come thru winter pretty fat & sassy, then by fall, after raising their calves, they have lost quite a bit of BCS & are heavy pregnant. So they are the thinnest group I have going into calving, even tho I keep them seperated with the 2 yr olds away from the mature cows. Surprisingly, they gain pretty well on grass nursing their 2nd calf.

Latest posts