Moorman's Mintrate Blocks and mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

badroute

Reaction score
Just wonderin if anyone has any experience with the above products. I am curious about the cost and also any positive or negative results with the products. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have not used any in years. I use Youngs mineral and have for 10 or 12 years.

Moorman has always enjoyed an excellent reputation around here for a good quality product but they were never the cheapest.

We use Moorman's mineral. Can't remember the exact formulation right now, but we have been using it for about 3 years with good result. Started with Vigortone after I had done some research (including on here), but we had quite a few problems at calving. Three dead calves out of mature cows to start the season. Also had some down cows that required electrolytes. Vet suggested that given these problems our mineral might not be adequate and recommended Moorman's. Since that time, including the rest of that calving season, we have lost one calf that was a malpresentation and have not had any downers.

The Moorman's is about 60% more than other high quality minerals, but is formulated for only 2 ounces per head/day. We have found that to be pretty accurate and the mineral ends up being cheaper overall. Still seems like a lot of money when you write the check, though. I know others have had differing experiences with Vigortone and it may be that the formulation we got was not right for our area, but it was all that was available through the local rep and we will not use it again.

badroute":1y8l8n6m said:
Just wonderin if anyone has any experience with the above products. I am curious about the cost and also any positive or negative results with the products. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I've never used either of the products but historically Moorman has always made quality products but as the other posted mentioned their products are also pricey most times. Those formulated with higher fortifications for lower consumptions, however, could turn out to be "best buys" for the money.

We use moorman's "southeast special" mineral. It seems to be a good product, but I honestly haven't shopped around or tried other brands. I think it's around $18 a bag. We also use a few of their protein tubs. The tubs we use are red in color. They cost around $100 each. We try to limit using the tubs as much as possible due to their high cost.