moon eye condition

Help Support CattleToday:

Doug

Reaction score
Does any one know about the moon eye condition in horses. This horse is not blue eyed. But is having reoccuring infections in both eyes is not blind yet. I would like to buy horse if I thought it could be cured.

Your best bet is to have a vet evaluate the horse and tell you the long-term prognosis.

Uveitis (moon blindness), if that is what the horse has, affects appaloosas which do not generally have blue eyes that I know of, so blue eyes do NOT cause a horse to have more eye problems.

The horses that I know of that have Uveitis have to wear face masks and some even have special masks with filters for the eyes. I know one lady that worked for over 2 years to get her mare treated. She uses the mare for light trail riding and the mare has to wear the mask with eye filters all the time.
Another horse, a halfinger, is a pasture pet and wears his mask with eye filters all the time.

There are rescues that have blind horses. The blind horses are paired with one other horse who wears a bell that the blind horse can follow.

There's a lot of good horses out there. I suggest that you keep looking.