Mooing all day & night

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have this 19 month year old heifer that I think was bred and maybe due sometime soon. (Maybe October- November)) She started bagging and has a full figure stomach. Problem is that in the last few days she really moo's a lot, day & night. This evening she would​ not come down for hay, just remained close to the shelter and seemingly doing a blating cry. I moved her to a pen spot and fed her some stocker grower and sweet feed with molasses. She is in the pasture with my bull and my Billy goat. All has been well until about a week ago. Do you think this may be labor pains? She doesn't show signs of dialation yet, but now wants to stay off to herself. What do you think? The goat may have her gun shy as he likes to flex his muscles sometime.

Tomcolvin":3rmt92cs said:
I have this 19 month old heifer that I think was bred and maybe due sometime soon. (Maybe October- November)) She started bagging and has a full figure stomach. Problem is that in the last few days she really moo's a lot, day & night. This evening she would​ not come down for hay, just remained close to the shelter and seemingly doing a blating cry. I moved her to a pen spot and fed her some stocker grower and sweet feed with molasses. She is in the pasture with my bull and my Billy goat. All has been well until about a week ago. Do you think this may be labor pains? She doesn't show signs of dialation yet, but now wants to stay off to herself. What do you think? The goat may have her gun shy as he likes to flex his muscles sometime.

Tomcolvin":1mr51p8z said:
I have this 19 month old heifer that I think was bred and maybe due sometime soon. (Maybe bred October- November last year) Mo n She started bagging and has a full figure stomach. Problem is that in the last few days she really moo's a lot, day & night. This evening she would​ not come down for hay, just remained close to the shelter and seemingly doing a blating cry. I moved her to a pen spot and fed her some stocker grower and sweet feed with molasses. She is in the pasture with my bull and my Billy goat. All has been well until about a week ago. Do you think this may be labor pains? She doesn't show signs of dialation yet, but now wants to stay off to herself. What do you think? The goat may have her gun shy as he likes to flex his muscles sometime.

It my first and I really didn't intend for her to be bred. Some how the bill got into her. No I don't think she has had it yet from her size and I have not seen her dialation. According to my records she should not be due until 2 more months.

I have a 10 year old cow that bawls & moos, starting the day before she calves. Does this every year so no guessing with her but she's also clearly springing. I would definitely keep an eye on her and I question the wisdom of keeping her with a billy goat that "likes to flex his muscles". And agree, 19 months is very young for a heifer - be prepared to intervene.

If she's not due for two months, at her age I would get the vet in for a couple of abortion shots, before the calf gets to full size, to get it out of her safely. How big is she? You're risking a bad loss if you leave her to it.

Had a guy come by today that is an old cattle guy. I didn't send for him he just happen by. I told him of my problem with her being so young and maybe having problems with birth. He said and I quote " is the bull down in the pasture the daddy? I said yes, he said " he's kinda narrow, not large, he looks he may have jersey in him. I think you will be alright". Lord I sure hope he is right.

The thing that amaze me with what he said is, "he is correct". The bull is solid black with only a tab of white on his forehead head.

OK, I moved her to a yard pen next to a heifer with a calf and she shut up. After edays I let her on with the heifer so I can feed both of them and watch her. She is now on pasture with the heifer and calf and loving it. She hasn't moved since. Maybe just lonely being in with only the bill and a Billy goat?

Putangitangi":2l9ylzrw said:
If she's not due for two months, at her age I would get the vet in for a couple of abortion shots, before the calf gets to full size, to get it out of her safely. How big is she? You're risking a bad loss if you leave her to it.

abortion shot?? what?

I just had a 18 month old CALVE unassisted full black angus - 60 lb calf growing faster then a weed. amazing looking calve now 2 months old. mom doing wonderful.

ddd75":2e3wa94z said:
Putangitangi":2e3wa94z said:

abortion shot?? what?

I just had a 18 month old CALVE unassisted full black angus - 60 lb calf growing faster then a weed. amazing looking calve now 2 months old. mom doing wonderful.
Lucky you. :)

If I was shut up in a pasture with a danged billygoat I'd be raising cain too. Loss of self respect. :lol:

Mine never 'moo' when it gets close. They shut up completely and go hide themselves.

19 months, due in 2 months... that's a due date at 21 months of age. Not too young. Target should be 24, impregnated around 900-1000lbs. If not pregnant by 24 months, should be culled.

I've seen too much range in my part of the world in body weight, maturity and readiness for calving. Someone new to this might not have the best-grown 19-month heifer and it could end up a nightmare death for the animal if they also miss some of the signs that calving is imminent or not going well.
Not all cattle grow well enough to fit the calving at 2yo target.

Putangitangi":336n9wv1 said:
Not all cattle grow well enough to fit the calving at 2yo target.

Agreed; however, that's evident long before the first heat cycle, and should be culled earlier.

Latest posts