Months that prices are up

Help Support CattleToday:

Amen to that!.. I think it depends on the size of the calves too, around here we sometimes get a decent price in the spring when people are looking for lawnmowers

redfornow":1j6twhz5 said:
The month after I drop em off at the sale barn....
We need to get togehter and time it. With me it's the month before

Seems to be a little different in different parts of the country. In the Mid-Atlantic it seems March and April
are most always good. Numbers are less and people are wanting calves to put on grass. Might be different because of your grass time in the south.

Around late February to March down here the prices rise. Then they drop off the face of the earth in September/October - or whenever they see Dun or redfornow coming ;-)

Cypressfarms, a buyer in oklahoma a couple of years ago told me bought a lot of small 150-250lb calves in south LA in the spring. He said the ranchers sold them before the cows went into the swamps to get away from the flys. He said that if the calves went in too either they drowned or the gator's got them. Any of it true?

kenny thomas":34jwqd2a said:
Cypressfarms, a buyer in oklahoma a couple of years ago told me bought a lot of small 150-250lb calves in south LA in the spring. He said the ranchers sold them before the cows went into the swamps to get away from the flys. He said that if the calves went in too either they drowned or the gator's got them. Any of it true?

Hmm....

I guess your joking.

Well then Ha!

Calves are born lighter down here and wean smaller than our northern friends. The swamp thing is a farce. Most of south La. is not covered in swamp, Florida has more swamp than Louisiana. I suppose that a big gator could eat a small calf. Cows wouldn't go "into the swamps" to get away from the flies. The flies would be worse in the swamps.

Weird way to hijack a thread.

In the Northwest, for 500 weight calves, the best time is March-April as most producers calve in the spring and sell their calves in the fall, thus there is a shortage in the spring. That being said, 800 weight calves bring the highest price in mid December. At least that is what an analysis of 20 years of sales data revealed to me.

here in texas we like to sale calves from oct to dec.an then again from mid jan to april.i dont like selling calves in the summer.

bigbull338":3gesrjiw said:
here in texas we like to sale calves from oct to dec.an then again from mid jan to april.i dont like selling calves in the summer.

But are the prices up oct to dec ?

to me they are since i sale heavyweight calves.but they may not not be to some1 else.i sold a group that weighted 760lbs an aved .69 a lb.but id liked to aved .75 a lb.

sold them in the end of oct 1st of nov.an still have 3 or 4 heavy weights to sale.an will prolly sale them in nov.you must remember that im running beefmaster bulls on the cows.i dont have any angus blood in the herd.