Montebelliard’s

Help Support CattleToday:

Straight up demand, mostly from Muslims and Hispanics, especially on holidays. I'm not sure of these numbers, but a huge amount of US goat meat is still being imported. Like 40%? Mostly from AUS.

During Ramadan I saw a few goats run through at a little over $5 lb live weight. Back down to around $4.20-$4.50 now for premium kids, but that's still very strong for post-holidays.
Goat meat is becoming a "foodie" trend too. Cooked correctly and from a young animal, it's quite tasty. Raising them can be a bit more challenging than cattle due to predators and parasites, and for some, the "cute" factor. We've done both, goats tended to require more hands-on management. Also, no large-scale processor in Texas, where a big percentage of goats are produced. I like my cattle.

Goat meat is becoming a "foodie" trend too. Cooked correctly and from a young animal, it's quite tasty. Raising them can be a bit more challenging than cattle due to predators and parasites, and for some, the "cute" factor. We've done both, goats tended to require more hands-on management. Also, no large-scale processor in Texas, where a big percentage of goats are produced. I like my cattle.
So do we (like our cattle)

Monts had **** hooves and udders when crossed with Hol don't know if they had those problems as purebred or whether the crossbreeding brought that out.

Monts had **** hooves and udders when crossed with Hol don't know if they had those problems as purebred or whether the crossbreeding brought that out.
Interesting. Reporting to have great hooves and udders was one of the reasons I was attracted to them. In a purely platonic way, of course. 😄

Then again, I'm not sure I have ever read up on any breed that doesn't claim to have those traits.

. . . and don't forget about the fence issue. When people say about a fence "If it will hold water, it will hold goats" they aren't joking.

I've never had any, but a neighbor did. They kept a section of my hay field grazed down nicely.

. . . and don't forget about the fence issue. When people say about a fence "If it will hold water, it will hold goats" they aren't joking.

I've never had any, but a neighbor did. They kept a section of my hay field grazed down nicely.
I agree with that 100%. Neighbor had goats so we put up extra fencing to keep them out. Damn goats would lay down sideways to push under the fence. Hot wire was 10" off the ground (to prevent fires) and they would limbo under the thing!

My daughter talked us into goats. 5' fencing and secured to the ground every 2 feet (because of the way the neighbors goats kept getting in). They would climb the fence and hop over to get out. Someone else was happy to get them after I got tired of it