Montana Gov Gunning for USDA

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Today 8/21/2005 12:56:00 PM

Jolley: Montana's Governor Gunning For The USDA

Brian Schweitzer, a lonely democrat in a heavily republican state, strapped on his gun belt Saturday in little Crow Agency, Montana and called out Mike Johanns and any other USDA official within range. Instead of the traditional six guns, though, he seems to be holstering twin Uzis.

In an interview that should create more than a little controversy inside the beltway he was quoted as saying, "A few years ago, the four big meat companies. . .expanded their role in this country. They bought a U.S. company called the United States Department of Agriculture."

Not shy about using large caliber fire power, he called the USDA "a bunch of stooges."

Referring to alleged living conditions enjoyed by the USDA and the big four meat companies, he said, "The USDA crawled right into bed with them and (together) they run our internal policy and our international policy."

Schweitzer is on record as fiercely opposed to the recent Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling reopening the border to Canadian cattle under 30 months of age. If he runs into the American Meat Institute CEO Patrick Boyle, who has called for opening the border to cattle over the current 30 month age limit, it's likely the two will make the historic "gunfight at OK corral" incident will look like children playing with sparklers on the Fourth of July.

Remember, Schweitzer is the hand-holding friend of R-CALF who said Montana would test Canadian cattle entering the state and charge for the extra inspection. It was a politically charged call that annoyed his Canadian neighbors as well as the USDA.

When the Department of Ag boys said he might not have the authority to force the tests, Schweitzer wasn't afraid to lose face with a government group he had already alienated. He fired this shot: "All I said was Montana will watch the regulators and the USDA became unglued because we were going to require that they actually do their jobs."

His position is unquestionably protectionist and driven by the political realities of his heavily conservative state and the home base of R-CALF. He sees it this way: "Bottom line, I'm trying to keep family ranchers in business."

Wish our gov had a set of testicles like that, but nope our Aggie Cheerleader oooooopppps Yell Leader , just does as he is told... Want to bring diseased animals up here to Texas, opps let me turn my back. I didnt see em and it would be profiling to look for em.....Sorta like looking for all those wetbacks that pour across our border.... He doesnt see a problem....its just imigration to him

Latest posts