Montana Coyote Hunter

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
NEEDED DESPERATELY!!!

We have got those dang yotes all around us right now. Federal trapper flew over our neighbors place and got 7. I now check cows at night with a loaded .357
Had a couple up by our upper corrals last night and just at dusk this evening my son saw a couple down behind our barn where we keep the pairs. I don't have my .243 back yet and my son's is just sighted in at 50 yards.
We need a serious hunter out here. Have gotten promises from about 4 different people to come shoot them, but they never show up.

I like predator hunting and would like to hunt some coyotes, but your place might be too far away :( Do you call them with mouth call like redfox? or use hounds, trap, shoot from bate??

You can sure make a dent in them if you use one of those electronic calls with the wounded rabbit sound and one of those little weasle toys you can get at toys are us. (Not to highjack the thread but have you ever heard one of these tapes? Do you think someone actually tortures a rabbit and records the noise or do you think its fake? Always wondered this.)

Did have the county attorney and police chief out a few months ago and they got a couple.
Those dang coyotes can smell the gun oil and they are gone.

Jo I watched a video with a guy using one of those. thank goodness for his camera man, he had coyotes coming in in front of him and behind him. He got 3 of them. :D Pretty neat to watch.
No I don't know how they get the rabbit recordings.

They really do work good. Lots of times you will see a yote and he'll run off but if you turn the recording on he will come back. My yote problem is gone now but I hope they come back. Kinda miss them but buzzards will have to do for now.

I got some yotes hanging around too. THEY REALLY LOVE PLACENTA!! Wonder what they will eat when the placenta is gone? :help:

Jogeephus":38lxm65a said:
You can sure make a dent in them if you use one of those electronic calls with the wounded rabbit sound and one of those little weasle toys you can get at toys are us. (Not to highjack the thread but have you ever heard one of these tapes? Do you think someone actually tortures a rabbit and records the noise or do you think its fake? Always wondered this.)

That was the same thing I thought as a kid.Could picture someone twisting thumpers neck while recording to get the right sound.They do work well though i've killed both fox and yotes while calling even had a few bobcats come in never got one of them they are kind of sneaky.
Back to the thread, if I was closer i'd love to help you out.I would advice you be careful on who you let do it though.Legal reasons.

They take a rabbit and grab them by the foot with a pair of channel-locks...........nah.........they just record a professional caller blowing on a mouth call or diaphram call. Guys like Johnny Stewart and Primos etc..

The yotes around here stalk my free range half wild chickens, often successfully. I get on my camo get in a good spot with water back of me. Take a live chicken along. Every 10 min or so you take that live chicken right? Shake it, twist it's neck a bit, make it SQUAWK like crazy. Old mister yote thinks hes got himself a easy chicken, works every time. :shock: :???: :nod: :oops: ;-)

Them dang coyotes have gotten my chickens, ducks, geese and barn cats.
The 2 my son saw were going after a calf that was sleeping on the ground. :mad: I didn't see what was happening, but he says the calf got away.

Rusty I know there might be some "legal" issues with those two, but they are pretty nice guys. I work with the C.A. as a volunteer EMS provider.

I'd just be careful on having a open invatation on my property.I have heard of people making a living off sueing people.

Well they had called and asked to come out.
I know a lot of guys who have now been kicked off places they have hunted for years and are now out trying to find new places to hunt.
We've had the good hunters on and a few rotten apples too. The rotten ones are not allowed back on.

I listen to my "gut". I've gotten some bad vibes on some guys who have shown up uninvited and I just tell them we already have hunters on the place, whether it is true or not.

Yeah I know about those people too. :mad:

Rusty is right about having to be careful about who is on your property hunting. Not only for legal reasons, but for safety reasons and care for your property reasons.

I had a neighbor that brought in a team to hog hunt a few years ago. They had their dogs, their 4x4 trucks, their 4 wheelers and more. Turned the dogs loose and what did the dogs do? Chased the hogs onto my property down to the creek. Next thing I know, I have 6 atvs and 4x4 trucks running all over my freshly planted pine trees chasing hogs.

Now how do you tell a bunch of armed guys with pit bulls do get the he11 off your property? You don't. That's what the county sheriff and game warden are for. They fined the be nice out of those guys and threatened them with jail if they every came back into our area again.

During my many years of hunting adventures I have knocked on LOTS of doors seeking permission. I have a very high percentage of open gates. :D
Over the years Montana Ranchers have been the best. When you knocked on a door most likely you would have coffee and conversation. A few times take a ride check cattle and the owner would show hunting spots and property lines. Met great people and my best friends are out there.
I have to say though, times have changed. If you don't know somebody odds of getting on private property in MT to hunt are slim or very expensive. Good thing I made my connections years ago. :nod:
Much of the time in Montana it's the town people and those from the yuppy West that have taken things for granted and run around with there ATV'S and muddy pickups like they have the right. Anyway that's what my friends tell me, and has closed the gates for almost every body.

rusty":2unuacjc said:
I'd just be careful on having a open invatation on my property.I have heard of people making a living off sueing people.

What this mean? For what they sue people?

grannysoo":2xer0yob said:
Rusty is right about having to be careful about who is on your property hunting. Not only for legal reasons, but for safety reasons and care for your property reasons.

I had a neighbor that brought in a team to hog hunt a few years ago. They had their dogs, their 4x4 trucks, their 4 wheelers and more. Turned the dogs loose and what did the dogs do? Chased the hogs onto my property down to the creek. Next thing I know, I have 6 atvs and 4x4 trucks running all over my freshly planted pine trees chasing hogs.

Now how do you tell a bunch of armed guys with pit bulls do get the be nice off your property? You don't. That's what the county sheriff and game warden are for. They fined the be nice out of those guys and threatened them with jail if they every came back into our area again.

Gee thanks Grannysoo! Then they came over to my place but with Walkers this time but they still had their beer and ATV's. They told me the dogs didn't know where the property lines were. OK fine. UPS'ed them a couple of collars back and haven't had a problem since.

I really think there are some hunters who are kept in a box all year and just before hunting season someone shakes the box up and turns these idiots loose. Thankfully they are a very small minority.

Here is a print I bought from the artist W.B Thomason Jr. I think it describes the two extremes of hunters. Don't know if you will be able to read the captions but if you save it to your computer and zoom in on it I think you will find it worth the trouble. ;-)

IMG_3415.jpg

P.A.L. some people will sue for any reason. Whether it is an accident or an act of God. If they think they can get money out of it they have a lawyer on speed dial.

Got some news guys out here hunting prairie dogs. They are from Washington state. Our cousin sent them over to us because we have a huge dog town. These guys were so thankful for a place to hunt they gave us some bags of smoked salmon.

Old Washington hunter trick. Take bags of smoked salmon when asking premission to hunt. Amazing how many gates open up to some smoked salmon. Even if they say no, leave with them some fish for their time talking to you. It works wonders.

Dave":1ab93iib said:
Old Washington hunter trick. Take bags of smoked salmon when asking premission to hunt. Amazing how many gates open up to some smoked salmon. Even if they say no, leave with them some fish for their time talking to you. It works wonders.

Works great for any kind of barter. I still have some of the guns/holsters/etc. that I swapped it for when we lived on the Kitsap Penninsula

Smoked salmon works even better the farther you get from the coast. We use smoked Humpies and Chums (which I feel are barely fit to eat) because people to the east don't know the difference between good salmon and bad.

Latest posts